main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Space chase/ Crait plan discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by 3sm1r, Feb 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. PadawanGussin

PadawanGussin Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 6, 2017
    Forgive me if this was already posted, I think it explains a great many things....

Sarge likes this.
  2. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    I like how he points out the potent effectiveness of fighters as strikecraft in the video and leaves open the massive flaw that the First Order's fleet contained many squadrons of fighters that could have torn apart the Raddus within a matter of a few hours at most.

Oh, so I just got a somewhat accurate measure of the fleets capabilities. While it says that there were an unknown number of fighters, The Supermacy holds a complement of 8 star destroyers total. Keep in mind that the Resurgent-class, the First Order's newest model, has a general complement of two starfighter wings (a single wing being composed of about 12 squadrons which amount to 72 fighters). Given that, consider how large of a complement the Supermacy is capable of holding at any one time on top of the rest of the fleet's usual complement prior to the Supremacy joining the battle.

The Raddus should have been overwhelmed as it had no active countermeasure against this large of a force comprised of fighters.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    godisawesome , La Calavera and Shadao like this.
  3. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Snoke still has the expectation that Skywalker will show intervene in the Resistance's slow death march, and has no desire to snuff them out too soon.

Sarge and Ricardo Funes like this.
  4. PadawanGussin

Sep 6, 2017
    I think the tactics of the F O in TLJ make sense if viewed thru the eyes of the officers involved.

Having come up with a plan to wipe out the Resistance with minimal losses to their own forces and understanding what would happen to them if they failed it became a case of "don't screw this up"

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  5. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    In the novelization Poe asked Leia about why Holdo didn't tell him The Plan and she said that it was best as few people knew about it as possible. So I suppose that is "the explanation" for Holdo being so secretive about The Plan.

Also there was a sentence somewhere in which some FO officer had reasoned there was no reason to risk lives by sending the TIEs when the Raddus would run out of fuel eventually anyway.

6. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I am glad to see that my reasoning was more or less on target for these points. :)

7. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    I still don't think they are good explanations. :)

Also, Holdo does not address morale, which is in the novelization and Poe is noticing how it's declining. The novelization also noted how they had to have more people monitor the escape pods as time went on because more crew were trying to desert. So really the criticism of Holdo and not doing anything about morale, stands.

As for the FO, it remains that not using their TIEs cost them. But it seems they all had this arrogant lazy attitude, and were lazy in their thinking too.

Poe seems to be going through a psychological crisis. It's like he's in this hell he can't get out of.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    Sarge likes this.
  8. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    Holdo sucks at being a leader, we all agreed on that... especially when compared to Leia.

But she was what she was. And the movie wanted us to compare Holdo vs Leia different leadership styles, through the eyes of Poe.

I don't care much if the explanations are considered good or not, only if the explanations are feasible. Which I think they are.

Sarge and oncafar like this.
  9. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    This is one of the best videos anyone participating in this thread could watch.

Ricardo Funes and PadawanGussin like this.
  10. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Then it's still a supremely stupid decision to make if, at any point, any single enemy ship can turn, engage their hyperdrive, and devastate the fleet. And if they want to play it safe, and are again aware of the hyperdrive-ramming threat, then they're idiots for bringing the valuable Supremacy to the chase where it is vulnerable to a strike.

It's not really the conservative and cautious reaction to the situation if everyone is capable of Insta-slicing everyone else's ship. And the way it plays in the film still seems to suggest that Hux in no way intended to just wait them out. The scenes and dialogue all imply he's disappointed the chase is happening and wants it done soon. The fact there's no real scene implying that they've all decided they should play it safe and just wait makes me think that's too generous a reading for the situation.

To me, it's bluntly and unequivocally clear that even the most generous reading of the situation depends on most everyone involved making multiple stupid and foolish decisions, and not in a very professional or realistic way.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    oncafar likes this.
  11. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    I adore Holdo.
    She can kick me off her bridge anyday.

oncafar, Martoto77 and Ricardo Funes like this.
  12. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    This is easy to say in hindsight.

Before WW2, the US naval fleet was not ready for the Kamikazes.

There is a first time for everything, and from now on the risk of the "Holdo Maneuvre" will be taken into consideration when defining battle strategies in the universe of Star Wars.

13. PadawanGussin

Sep 6, 2017
  14. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Kamikaze planes couldn't go from out-of-effective-range to already-cut-a-swath-through-your-entire-ship before you could blink, and don't make your entire ship into a fragmentation grenade capable of dropping capital ships behind you. Kamikaze planes were also not introducing any new tactic or revolutionary idea to the battle-field; planes throughout WWI and WWII had already pulled the "taking you with me" charge when crippled multiple times across the battlefields of the sky. And Kamikaze planes were not defense-ignoring Superweapons for the contemporaneous battle tactics.

Kamikazes were a desperation maneuver that was, at best, only capable of taking out one ship at a time per plane, if that plane managed to evade the anti-air fire coming at it right away, and its effectiveness as a destructive tactic was only comparable to successful bombing runs, not superior to them, as the hyperspace ram clearly is.

And clearly the First Order is aware of the possibility, since Johnson had Hux react with worry once it became clear the ship could pull the maneuver, and apparently he was totally helpless to stop it at all. So clearly the feasibility of the attack is known to everyone, unless we're going to try arguing that no one ever thought "Gee, the hyperdrive propels me so fast I can get past shields without any issue (like Han did) and still have physical mass, why don't we make that a weapon?"

And are you also telling me that the Empire (who had such an amorous appreciation for Superweapons they built the same one twice) never looked to weaponize this tactic? Never saw fit to use it during Operation Cinder or at the Battle of Jakku? What about the Separatists? You know, the guys with billions of droids they spend without a care in the world? Every single one of those vulture fighters should have been used as a hyperspace missile whenever they thought they were going to lose a battle. Or what about the Rebels and Partisans? Desperate times call for desperate measures.

It's an idea that could work beautifully, and not just look beautiful, if the story bothered to set up or explain why it will work and why we haven't seen it before *in film*, not just in a book, which, by the way, it seems it still hasn't resolved yet. Johnson wrote *five* characters on the Supremacy who had knowledge that could have been techno-babbled into making this a rare, once in a lifetime occurrence: Finn is familiar with First Order tech and ship design, DJ is capable of hacking through shields and security systems, BB8 is a robot *literally* designed to fix or sabotage space ships, and Rose is an engineer. Just have one of them sabotage the shields or remove some kind of safety feature that prevents ships from hitting hyperspace-mobile objects, and you've managed to justify the hyperspace ram in an intelligent way that doesn't insult the characters or the audience, and you've managed to add more nuance to the "failure" theme the film is harping on about and perpetually sabotaging itself for.

Because if failure is the greatest teacher, isn't improvisation the lesson?

15. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    Nevertheless. The USN took more casualties from kamikaze than they expected the IJN flying force had the capacity for.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    And into a David Lynch film?

Get it?

Because Laura Dern

Martoto77 likes this.
  17. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    How very dern you?

18. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    And the sheer scale of the hyperspace ram's effectiveness still renders the comparison laughable. It's a super-weapon-caliber move in space combat, and one that, thanks to the accepted technology of Star Wars, is stupidly easy to carry out. Strap a hyperspace engine to some large amount of mass, use a missle's guidance system that they've had since the Clone Wars, or a cheap navigational computer, activate, and annihilate half of an enemy fleet in the blink of an eye.

It doesn't even have the need for a human being to guide it, unlike the kamikaze planes.

The effectiveness renders the comparison moot. The amount of resources used can't be the reason it's a bad idea, since now both naval powers employ hundreds of hyperdrive equipped Starfighters. The only costly element would be the engine, and honestly, if any sane, logical person looks at the casualty figures for first time fighter pilots vs the net damage they inflict, a rock with an engine attached to it's going to come out on top if we apply this movie's logic.

And it simply makes every major war machine in the Saga thus far a laughable waste of resources.

Spend 20 years building a massive moon sized battle station requiring enormous power reserves and decades of planning, load it with all necessary personnel and weaponry to defend itself, VS take a rock, attach engine. That's it.

And it simply compiles every other severely stupid decision made by both sides throughout the chase. It's a Michael Bay level plot from a writer who usually does far better.

La Calavera and ByteSizeRick like this.
  19. ByteSizeRick

ByteSizeRick Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2018
    I agree with this. If I were JJ/Disney, one of the "not quite" retcons that would be high on my list would be establishing in IX that the "hyperspace bullet" had some kind of significant deleterious effect that was justified solely to the desperation of the moment. If you wanted some politics involved you could actually have it be that the resistance is given a certain amount of side-eye for using a technique that was banned by the civilized forces of the galaxy for that same reason. Even still it would be difficult to create something that makes sense.

20. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I like to think that it is just a very difficult maneuver, and this is the reason why it's not used very often.
    After all Holdo succeeded only because Hux underestimated the danger.

Sarge likes this.
  21. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    Not in a fantasy movie context it isn't. In fact it's arguably desirable.

The fact remains that USN destroyers and carriers were lost, ultimately, to single aircraft kamikaze strikes. Logically, an egregious oversight of the IJN air force's capacity. By the standards of military prescience that are implied here.

22. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    The only problem of the hyperspace ram is that, once you weaponize hyperspace, it only opens the question “why didn’t/don’ they do this all the time?”.

It renders space battles pointless.

23. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    If it's anticipated in those terms, then it's usually compensated for tactically. That could mean not relying on astronautic (for want a better word) combat on that scale altogether. Like when Dreadnought warfare was made obsolete over the course of the naval war of WWII.

24. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    One thing is battleships becoming obsolete, another thing is timeless tactical decisions. The hyperspace ram is a tactical decision that does make you wonder why it wasn’t employed before, during and after (in case IX doesn’t use this tactic).

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    godisawesome likes this.
  25. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    Necessity? It was only used as a last gasp measure in TLJ.

Strategically, it hasn't been demonstrated as being feasible in any previous engagement that I'm aware of.

As Poe's exploits at the start of the movie demonstrated, the losses from achieving such apparent substantial gains can be strategically significant when there is still so much, proportionately, to lose.

It's why the Raddus's sacrifice was a supreme command decision, and had to be executed personally by supreme headquarters personnel.

It should also be considered that it wasn't guaranteed that the outcome would be so devastating to the enemy. Another reason why it's never been attempted before on this scale.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    Sarge likes this.