main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Space combat.... LW techniques & tutorials

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by Jedi-Jonathan, May 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi-Jonathan

Jedi-Jonathan Jedi Youngling

Apr 18, 2005
    Within the first hour of using Lightwave it was really easy to get a few X-Wings and Tie-Fighters to fly around after each other. It looks really cool too. I've been browsing all over Google and trying to use the search function on this message board, but neither are finding how to make ship lasers. The search function for this message board seems to be broken, as whatever I type in it does not work.

If anyone knows where I can find a tutorial that will explain how to create ship lasers, I'd be greatful. For that matter, if anyone knows where to find tutorials on all of space combat, that'd be a nice reference to have. Incase I have an future questions about this subject.

Thanks,
    Jonathan

2. Zaphod Beeblebrox

Zaphod Beeblebrox Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 1999
    Looking for this?
    http://boards.theforce.net/Scifi_3D_Forum/b10013/17428749/?15

3. Jedi-Jonathan

Apr 18, 2005
    Thank you. I assume that instead of using that 3DS script, I use the cylinder method?

I'll start working on making this look good. If anyone else has some Lightwave tutorials for space combat in general, that'd also be appreciated. For example, when a X-Wing does a turn, the key-framing can sometimes look "off". Like the ship turns too much before enough of the rotation is done. I fixed it with a little tweaking and more specific frames, but, I just want to make sure that there isn't some really easy way that I don't know about. Don't you hate it when you've worked so hard on a project for two years, only to find out it could of been done with an easier method in one year? Haha!

Lets see, another thing I was wondering about was the S-Foils on the X-Wings. How do people go about opening those up? Is it the same method like joints and pivot points on characters? I'm still learning about all that stuff. It looks like that's where things get a lot more complicated.

So any other general space combat tutorials would be great. I found lots of ship modeling and star field effect tutorials online, but most links seem to be down for space combat stuff.

Thanks,
    Jonathan

4. Jedi-Jonathan

Apr 18, 2005
    I found this tutorial:

http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/support/tutorials/tut2/1.html

It looks like this'll help a lot. Lets continue to post tutorials and discussions about space combat in Lightwave so future questions can be refered to this post.

5. Jedi-Jonathan

Apr 18, 2005
    That tutorial isn't helping as much as I thought. There are a lot of "missing pieces". It doesn't explain how to fire the gun when you want to and such. I've worked in a lot of map creating for 3D games, so I have a decent understanding of Lightwave already. If I could get a hold of that lws scene for that tutorial that'd probably help a lot. I tried pulling up a download link for it on Google, no luck. :(

I'll keep trying ideas for ship lasers. Won't completely key-framing the lasers result in some odd movement? Is there anyway to "fire" the bullets out of a cannon, letting the 3D engine do the rest of the travel? I assume that's what the 3DS script does, unfortunately I don't think it works for Lightwave. ;)

Any new input would be helpful...

Thanks,
    Jonathan

6. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    A simple particle emitter on the tips of the cannons will do the trick. Then just attach the laser objects to the particles with FX_Linker.

7. Jedi-Jonathan

Apr 18, 2005
    Ah, thanks. I am learning so much so quickly. I'm really liking Lightwave. Why do many people complain about the difficulty of CG? I'm finding it rather easy. I guess the actual modeling and texturing part of things is probably the hardest part?

The particle emitters are something I've been reading about. I'm starting to understand how to use them well. For fun, I wanted to see how the particles react to gravity...boy, that's a fun toy! :) I had everything going crazy. For anyone who wants to get into CG, I suggest trying a Lightwave demo. It is obviously still a personal preference, but, I really like the ease of use Lightwave offers, and how powerful it is.

*dances* "This is where the fun begins..." ;)

8. Jedi-Jonathan

Apr 18, 2005
    Finally! The laser is complete! It looks amazing! I switched the "Object Type" to "Sprite" and that made all the difference in the world in terms of looks. Now it really looks like laser fire! Thank you for your help everyone. Lets continue to add onto this thread for Lightwave space combat techniques and tutorials.

May the Force be with you,
    Jonathan

9. Jedi-Jonathan

Apr 18, 2005
    Wow, this is so much fun! I'm coming along well on a test scene with an X-Wing fighting a Tie-Fighter. The biggest problem is the lighting, as with any film. ;)

Realistically, most of space is dark with only sides of the ship lighted. The lighted side of something is really bright, while the other side of the ship is basically black.

I have read quite a few lighting tutorials, but they seem to focus on still shots. Filling in darker spots slightly. It looks nice and all, but for fast shots of space combat, what do you all recommend? Maybe attaching a soft light to the camera?

Thanks,
    Jonathan

10. Redshirt

Redshirt Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 25, 2002
    space tutorials for LW:

http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/space.htm

and

http://www.ap3d.com/betterspace/

several GREAT tutorials

some are for older versions of LW, but are still applicable.

11. Macro_Roshuma

Macro_Roshuma Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2004
    Yeah, I love CG. Even IF I use max and not Lightwave anymore.

12. Jedi-Jonathan

Apr 18, 2005
    Why'd you switch to Max from LightWave? Just wondering...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.