main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Space Combat Sim] Darkstar One

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by jp-30, Jun 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sith_Lords

Sith_Lords Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 17, 2004
    Its Wimbledon isn't it?

I'm no vg reviewer. I guess I'm about a third into the game, Just to the part where I am aout to free Eona (co-pilot) The DS1 is know a level 5 ship, and I'm, a fully pledged bounty hunter - pirates attack me automatically whenever i enter a system with them in.

Imo, i believe this game to be a lot funner than Freelancer or elite, as it is simple to play, I don't need expensive equipment (I'm using my £5 Saitek ST90) and there is immense replayaility value. I do not have to pay any attention to the storyline - to be honest, I haven't, I've been busy taking out single contracts, usually destroying pirates, or protecting cargo ships. Someone raised the point earlier about Missile launchers. I don't have any missile launchers, I am yet to find a use for them, Instead i have 2 Mk3 railguns, and a Military issue Railgun turret.

There's some insight, I guess, any qs?

2. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    I haven't even followed the Football World Cup, let alone some tennis game [face_plain]

Sounds cool.

Yea, as for replayability, I think it could definately be a winner. I took a mission to go blow up a cargo ship because it was late and useless and 'we can't tolerate that'. As soon as I entered the system and targeted it, the guy comes on "please don't attack us, we've been attacked twice already etc etc" So, I decided to shoot the pirates attacking him, instead of blowing him up... don't know how that will affect my job prospects in the future, but decisions like that seem to be throughout the game, thus letting you change your path...

3. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Smashing, SithForceLord. Checked out the site, historical overview looks interesting. But 7 gigs, that's an ouch. Still, never played this type of game before, so the temptation is there.

4. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    7 gig... yea. It has 300 systems that you can fly in and take missions in and trade goods... Definately large scale = good, esp with the almost endless ways to upgrade and change your personal ship (slow, tank with heaps of defenses for cargo shipping / fast fighter for bounty hunting and taking on people etc).

Just delete some of that average pr0n and make room for a great game that will keep you entertained for a long while, more than 2 minutes like all that pr0n. Personally, I think it'll be a good game for those Winter nights.

Or get a bigger harddrive or burn some dvd's.

5. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    I never got in on Elite or any of the X# games, but I played around with Freelancer for a while. Darkstar seems to be around the same caliber, possibly a little better. Great to see.

The fact that Lucasarts still hasn't utilized this genre with the SW license is a travesty. The SWG expansion doesn't count because I refuse to play it.

6. Sith_Lords

May 17, 2004
    Update on game progress (HTR)

Did a couple of side missions so that I could buy a new light drive (5 ly range.) Than went with Ramirez to the bad guys (kabros) base. Then came a cool little sequence where I went down to the planets surface, and go through a little trench, destorying various defences, and a shield generator, before Ramirez can rescue Eona. This game just keeps gettting better!

7. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Ok, so as far as the demo goes...

You have just finished your flight training.
    You get a kick arse upgradable ship.
    You have to get a few missions under your belt and upgrade the ship.
    You get information on the cause of your father's untimely death.
    You have to get enough money to buy an engine upgrade so you can go to a further system.
    You get there and meet up with a contact who tells you the chap resonsible for your father's ship sabotage left the system and he couldn't find out where.
    You pick up a hawt co-pilot who's been stuck in that system because her ship got damaged, so she says she can help you with finding people, and you give her a lift.
    Story line ends for the demo, but missions are still playible and you can go to 15 systems and fight pirates or trade etc / get familar with flight controls and dogfighting.
    3 Elements/Artifacts are locatable within the demo and allow 3 upgrades of the ship; ie: Hull +1, Wings +1 and Shields +1.

All in all I'd recommend the game, and if it sounds like your cup-o'-tea, get the demo and have a game, it'll tantilise the tastebuds for space flight-sim as well as get you ready for the real game when it comes out...

Now, to see if you can just copy/paste the save game folder from the demo into the gamedata folder when I get the full game???

8. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

What's a "pr0n?" :confused:

9. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Ask your Grandmother.

10. Sith_Lords

May 17, 2004
    If you email me with me with the save, than I can find out for you.

Sith_lords@hotmail.co.uk

11. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I've tried to like this game, but it's hard when all it does is completely lock my computer whenever I try to run it.

I suppose I'll try and get it sorted out later. Very annoying to have it fail so completely though.

12. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Got the lasted drivers for your card?

13. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Lock your computer? Odd, even while playing I can press the "Windows Start key" and it pauses the game and takes me to desktop and computer runs fine. Takes a little while to load the game back up, but I've never had any problems.

Are you running the demo or full version?

14. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    jp: yes. Catalyst package 6.6 for my Radeon 9800 Pro.

SFL: Demo. What happens is it runs, I see the loading screen, then the loading screen goes away, the music starts, then the monitor goes black, the music stops, and the computer is completely unresponsive (have to press reset button on the case.)

An interesting thing is that the monitor actually turns off and on, (i.e goes into sleep mode with a yellow LED indicator on the front, then immediately comes out of it) as if it was changing resolution or something.

It has once made it to the title screen with the space station, but I could not click on anything and it quickly did the black screen thing afterwards.

15. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Weird indeed.

Silly question, but you have system requirements to run the game?

Perhaps you can go into the properties of the game (right click demo icon son desktop > properties > compatibility) and change the resolution. Perhaps your monitor res is really different to the default for the game, and there's a clash or something...

or uninstall / reinstall dust yourself off and try again.

16. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Athlon 64 3000+
    1GB RAM
    Radeon 9800 Pro with latest Catalysts
    They should be OK, I think.

It's very strange, because my monitor resolution is 1024x768, which shouldn't cause any problems at all.

17. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Yea, I use that res too.

Well, uninstall and reinstall - see if that helps.

If that doesn't, get a large magnet and place that snug inside your case ;)

18. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Well, the uninstall-reinstall didn't help at all.

This sucks.

19. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Perhaps the download was 'corrupt', dare I say try redownloading it from a different server???

20. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    I did think of that, I'm in the process of doing it now (after one restart at 50% because of a lost connection [face_frustrated]).

21. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Holy ****. Downloading the demo now and I'm getting 700 kps. [face_plain]

Why the hell can I never get that speed for the important stuff? Though I can't wait to try the demo out tonight, at this rate I'll be done in 30 minutes. :p

22. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    "My internet connection's bigger than yours"

:)

Gutted about the connection loss half way through download Marcus :(

23. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Well, the redownload and reinstall failed to help matters. I'm at a loss.

24. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Well, that would suck.

25. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Indeed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.