main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Space fleet games

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Excellence, Sep 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

What are the games that feature full 3D space fleet engagements? I only know of Homeworld 2 and Jupiter: Nexus Mission.

2. LordSilvertouch

LordSilvertouch Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2003
    Rebel Strike and Rogue Leader have levels where you're a starfighter to the backdrop of capital ships clashing, but i don't know if that counts as full fleet. Rebel Strike has four capital ships and one Super Star Destroyer.

3. Sarg_Kulo

Sarg_Kulo Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    Jedi Starfighter kinda had them.

4. Darth_Sevrance55

Darth_Sevrance55 Jedi Youngling

Sep 10, 2005
    if you wait til nov 1st BF2 has naval combat

5. Lord-Draco

Lord-Draco Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Star Wars: Battlefront 2 ;)

6. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    Sorry, I'll be more precise. I mean, games like Homeworld 2, actual 3D fleet fighting.

7. Fist_of_Mandalore

Fist_of_Mandalore Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2005
    Oh, so you want a strategy game instead of a game where you are actually in the Capital ships and star figters? Sorry cant think of any. Though Star Wars Rebellion (maybe its called Supremacy down there) has fleet fighting, but its not that 3-D. But you do control the ships. Very nice game.

8. AlrikFassbauer

AlrikFassbauer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2003
    Sorry, but Excellence means real *fleets*. Have you never played Homeworld ? It's a true and rare Gem !

I know a few similar games by name, but haven't played them yet : Homeplanet and another game, sorry, can't remember its name. It has one or two addons. Oh, now I remember : Hegaemonia (I'm not sure whether I've spelled it correctly).

Another game into that direction *could* be X2 The Threat. But I'm not sure in this case either.

A rather strange game is the strategy game for the movie "Treasure Planet" made by the team who also made Homeworld : Cataclysm. In this Treasure Planet game you actually let real ships battle against one another ! I've seen a screenshot of it : Imagine ships that were common a few hundread years ago battle in space ... ;)

9. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Yes, I have Homeworld 2. I've heard of Jupiter: The Nexus Mission too. I'd like to know if there are any other RTS "Starcraft" type games, in full 3D space fleet battles like Homeworld 2.

10. Crazydan

Crazydan Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2005
    Star Wars: Empire at War will have that.

11. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Actually, it doesn't. The pics suggest full 360 mouse rotation, but they've said battles in orbital are on a flat plane. Then again, so was Homeworld 2's, really, with the ships moving all over the place as they shot.

12. sheep21

sheep21 Jedi Master star 2

Jul 27, 2004
    The new Empires at War game (comming out chritmas i think) will have major tactical naval combat in it

13. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Excellence: navigation will be two-dimensional, as full three-dimensional navigation is near impossible on a two-dimensional screen (especially when you need to move as quickly as you'll have to sometimes). The combat, however, IS three-dimensional - ships can move around each other, ducking and weaving and whatnot. It'll be a significant improvement on the Galactic Battlegrounds style of play.

14. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

I was tempted to get Galatic Battlegrounds Saga, but I've heard too many game play issues I opted for Warcraft 3. It's inferior to Starcraft. I don't particularly like it, it's more visual than practicality, or fun.

So, pretty much Homeworld 2 and Jupiter: Nexus Mission and aspects of Empire at War are th eonly fully 3D fleet fighting games, I take it?

15. CommanderSesfan

CommanderSesfan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    Make sure you have the Warlords mod for Homeword 2, Excellence. I know Night and Jello and I have that....you ever want to play a game, PM me.

16. Lord_Quintus

Lord_Quintus Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 16, 2005
    I know you're referring to 3D rts games but I know of a great space flight simulation. The game's called Freespace 2. If you want to try it out, download the 2 mission demo at www.freespace2.com. It's really a cult-classic that unfortunately not that many people had tried out. It's got a great storyline, lots of ships to choose from, and about 30 missions. The ships range from assault fighters, interceptors, bombers, recon, and stealth. Most missions involve several large capital-size ships. You can look forward to seeing cruisers, corvettes, destroyers, super destroyers, and juggernauts loaded to teeth with flak guns, beam weapon, and laser turrets. As you're flying your ship around trying to shoot down enemy fighters you'll witness large fleet engagements going on in the background. Also, the space in which you play is not limited to one area unlike the rogue squadron games where they constantly tell you to turn your ship around. In fact, you're ship can never reach a boundary in the levels. So yeah, I highly recommend this game. If you do consider buying this game you'll have to look in ebay as few stores still have copies waiting on their shelves anymore. And on a final note, you can download countless mods here: http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~freespace/hlp/

17. ShadowStoneKat

ShadowStoneKat Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2004
    RTS games are few.. but there is...

Star Wars Rebellion - hey, not the latest game with the high-end graphics, but it did have a 3D tactical combat mode. Think an early version of Homeworld

Homeworld, Homeworld: Cataclysm, Homeworld 2 - the series that started it all, PCGamer's 1999 Game of the Year. Nothing can match it.

O.R.B., Haegemonia - the next games to try and go with the success of Homeworld. Unfortunately both had their problems that made them weaker than Homeworld in sales.

Nexus: The Jupiter Incident - originally a project as IG3, this finally comes out. While it is a 3D space game, it is a different scope than Homeworld. They refer to the game as a Fleet Tactical Simulator more than a strategy game. And rightly so, its a focus on a few ships rather than the grand fleets of Homeworld.

18. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    I'm surprised nobody mentioned Star Trek Armada 1 and 2 oh yeah its a Star Wars forums :p Anyway there is a Star wars vs Star Trek mod for Star Trek Armada (I'm pretty sure its for one but I believe they create it for 2 as well ).

19. Rogan_Agar

Rogan_Agar Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2004
    Both Armadas rocked. Great graphics, great gameplay. End endless fun. :)

20. Wildstar02301

Wildstar02301 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    There is also Starshatter, which is, on the face of it, a fighter sim, but has elements of RTS games in that you also have the option of commanding capital ships. A very underrated game, IMO. If you want your Star Wars with it, too, there is Melkor's mod, but his original link appears to be unavailable. If you want to ask about it, visit this thread.

21. ShadowStoneKat

ShadowStoneKat Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2004
    I don't remember Star Trek Armada being full 3D, rather 3D graphics in a planar environment.

22. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Armada 1 definitly had a planar enviroment, Armada 2 on the other hand was...somewhat different. Armada 2 was a bit odd in that respect it was basicly a 2d plain with depth so your ships could go deeper or higher this is the same for planetary objects and of course your buildings.

Ah well the games are definitly fun though :)

23. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Has anyone actually played that Jupiter: Nexus Mission? It doesn't seem to be widely known and distributed here.

And with full 3D fleet RTS games like Homeworld 2, there almost a niche market with so few. You'd think developers would be identifying that hole. What sci fi geek wouldn't want to play capital ships the way you play Starcraft units? :D

24. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    Star Wars Rebellion - hey, not the latest game with the high-end graphics, but it did have a 3D tactical combat mode. Think an early version of Homeworld

Homeworld, Homeworld: Cataclysm, Homeworld 2 - the series that started it all, PCGamer's 1999 Game of the Year. Nothing can match it.

I agree. Each of these games is extremely fun and was innovative for its time.

I'm currently waiting for Empire at War. That game looks SOOOOO awesome. Feb of 2006 can't get here quick enough.

25. Psycho_Sith

Psycho_Sith Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2003
    Agreed on that

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.