main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San A, TX Space Shuttle Columbia . . .

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by ObiJuan70, Feb 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ObiJuan70

ObiJuan70 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2001
    I have always been a fan of both Science Fiction and Fact. I was saddened when I saw the loss of Challenger and its crew in 1986 and I am deeply saddened at the loss of Columbia and its crew who lost their lives over our sky this morning. I remember seeing the first time that Columbia launched when I was young, it was a sign of the future, of a future where someday everyone will be in space. This tragedy will be something that will stay with me for a long time . . .

I ask all of you to keep the seven astronauts that passed today in your thoughts and prayers.

Thank you

John

2. Vaderman247

Vaderman247 Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2002
    I also ask that you keep the Columbia astronauts in your thoughts and prayers as well.

However, do not let NASA fool you into thinking this was an unavoidable accident. A 22 year old precision spacecraft built THEN by the lowest bidder. A spacecraft that in fact was considered for retirement just a year ago, but was refurbished to...SAVE MONEY!!

We've now lost the 2 OLDEST shuttles we had in service. Challenger and now Columbia. I was crushed by Challenger when I was 10. I was really broken hearted when I found out that the 7 died because of a replaceable piece of rubber that NASA knew was broken!!! I prayed to God that I would never have to experience that again and that they would learn from their mistake. Obviously, NASA enjoys allowing politics to throw away lives.

If you think I'm being silly, don't. NASA has a documented history of cutting corners and trying to do things on the cheap. That's how the Apollo I space capsule was lost with all aboard. I'm not blaming NASA fully, they are only making due with the budget they are allotted. Why are we skimping on something so important? Something that could boost interest in science, technology, and mankind's destiny to visit other worlds? We spend 35% of our national budget on defense and building things to kill people. Why don't we spend a little more to build things that help us to bring people together for a common goal?

We are putting money above the lives of individuals who are the true pioneers of the future we all envision. Everytime that shuttle launches, we are allowing politics and government to endanger these astronauts, who train for YEARS for a chance to walk with the stars. This is a tragic event that saddens me deeply, but remember, it's a political battle and if we do not let our voice be heard, we will lose.

It's been more than 30 years since we last landed on the Moon. Why have we not been back? Where is the Moonbase that I so fondly dreamed of when I was a kid? Why is Mars not a priority? Why are experiments being done to see how flowers react in zero g? Why is money being wasted?! Don't stop funding for the Space Program, but stop the silly commercial endeavours and get on with the exploration!

Thank You
    Marselles Coe

3. ObiJuan70

ObiJuan70 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2001
    I'm with you there Marselles, it seems that the concerns of our Govt. are focused on War and not on working to advance ourselves in technology for exploration and learning, not just in space but to understand our planet as a whole.

We can only hope that things will change . . .

Take Care Friends

John

4. jedirita

jedirita Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 10, 2001
    I once saw a film produced by the United Nations. It was nothing but astronauts talking about what it meant to them to be in space. They talked about how they could see the signs of environmental devastation from orbit, and how they saw no national or political boundaries. One Russian astronaut was so moved by what he was trying to say, that he had to revert back to Russian. He couldn't express those powerful emotions in English.

The space program to me represents the best of what humanity is capable of. People across boundaries of race, gender, or nationality, embarking together on a mission of exploration and discovery. Astronauts know what we earth-bound types should pay closer attention to: that we are all in this together.

I salute all astronauts around the world for their courage and dedication. And I salute all the people who work with the space program. They are heroes to me.

5. Vaderman247

Nov 4, 2002
    Thinking about man's role and place in the universe, I thought up this odd poem:

On Earth, we do not see that this is one fragile blue and green orb hanging in the vastness of cold infinity.

On Earth, our petty squabbles and small minded view of what is possible limits us to our own corner of existence.

On earth, we waste valueable space and damage our vessel as if she were eternal.

From Earth, we must stretch our reach to the out there, for our nature is to destroy the here and now.

From Earth, we must scatter what is the seed of the Creator.

We are his destroyer.

We are his renewer.

6. jedirita

jedirita Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 10, 2001
    Wow. Marselles, that was beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing it.

7. Master_MJade

Master_MJade Jedi Youngling

Jan 17, 2003
    wwow that's nice

8. Vaderman247

Nov 4, 2002
    Thanks for the nice words guys. It is appreciated. You guys make it easy to share thoughts and feelings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.