main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sth Bend, IN Spamming the forums

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by jedi_runya, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_runya

jedi_runya Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 4, 2005
    Ok, you guys have had your fun. I was trying to play nice when I just asked garbagge59 to refrain. But you guys have taken this to whole new level. I am merely covering while Earwen is getting married and I didn't ban him since I didn't know him... so much for giving the benefit of doubt...

That being said I will ban you for spamming if you do it...

And if you really don't know what spamming is:

spammer: A poster who spams the forums.

spamming: Posting many times consecutively, posting simply to up your post count or posting identical threads/posts across several forums. Soliciting (trading, selling or buying) and advertising also fall under spamming.

And this is where you can find the rules that you have been following till recently...

jedi_runya

2. Xmaveric

Xmaveric Jedi Master star 5

Nov 25, 2000
    With all due respect:

We are a very close-knit group with a very unique sense of humor. As you said, you do not know Garbagge59, or any of us.

Can you please clarify:
    "Posting many times consecutively" - Where did you get that definition? I don't see it in the TOS or in the thread you linked. As long as the posts we make pertain to the thread we are posting to, isn't this acceptable behavior? Most of us work full-time jobs, and the only chance we get to post is occasionally on our lunch break. During that time, it is common for someone to post to all the threads that have been updated since the last time we were online.

"posting identical threads/posts across several forums. Soliciting (trading, selling or buying) and advertising also fall under spamming." - We don't do that here. Except for the few out-of-towners who stop in to tell us about a con or book signing in their area.

Perhaps you can clarify what you mean by this statement? I've been a member of this forum a long time. Since back in the UBB days, in fact. Everything that goes on here has been happening since that time, with no complaints from users, CSRs, or RSAs. We don't start trouble, we don't flame, troll, or use obscene language, and we are very kind and welcoming to any newcomers, visitors, and RSAs (which change like the seasons).

I hope you do not take any of my statements to be insulting or disrespectful. I only want to open up a dialog to better understand the expectations that you, as the temporary RSA, have for us. And perhaps, so that you can get to know us a little better as well.

3. jedi_runya

Jan 4, 2005
    Sorry that I couldn't respond to you earlier; I had to work a 12-hour day today...

Oh I don?t. In fact I very much appreciate the time and thoughtful manner you approached this. I would have all of you know, that both Earwen and I don?t believe in being ?Big Brother? . We do check in to make sure things are going well, but unless there is a problem, we don?t try to take over and cause problems?believe it or not. :p Maybe to some degree this was a wrong decision on our parts, to not interact with chapters more.

Which again, is why I only asked him to refrain...

By a new level, I was referring to the fact the music_trooper and vaderisone went on to deliberately spam the board, stating that the rebellion had begun, and see how far they could go.

I agree, you guys do seem like a great group, lots of posts and no problems before. That is why this whole thing seemed from out in left field. What I meant by recently was the spamming incidents? All I wanted to do was let garbage know he would get in trouble should he go into a different forum and do the same thing. I never had any intention of going further till someone else picked up the baton and decided to run with it. This wasn?t a planned attack on my side. In fact I passed it by all the FF mods before I did anything to make sure they saw was I was seeing?

In regards to the rule regarding Spam and what it is. "Posting many times consecutively"

"posting identical threads/posts across several forums. Soliciting (trading, selling or buying) and advertising also fall under spamming." - We don't do that here. Except for the few out-of-towners who stop in to tell us about a con or book signing in their area.

And that would not be spamming; telling others? of an event in a thread is not what I am talking about. I am talking about deliberately posting in every thread so they can see a) their names all the way down the page, b) to stage a rebellion or c) just to increase their post counts (which was in the above statement?).

Both come from the Fan Force Welcome New Users forum and the JC forums. Maybe if some of you have not been here long enough to have checked the areas out, it would be a good idea just to keep this from happening elsewhere.

Like you said I am only ?looking? in on Earwen?s cities while she is out. All I am asking is you to respect us and the Forum rules that cover both the JC and the Fan Force, as we respect you. And any of you can contact either us at any time (everything in is in our profiles).

jedi_runya

4. BaseDeltaZero

BaseDeltaZero Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2001
    I stand beside my city 100%. We have always had fun on this forum. Even if it is something against the rules ("spamming" too see your name all down the side), no one on this board has ever complained about anything to me or anyone else. We are just here to have a good time.

5. garbagge59

garbagge59 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 23, 2004
    my only "spam" post on the night in question was the one that I announced that I had responded to all threads that night(and three of the threads, i was the last responder, so i did not "double post" in those threads). otherwise, i feel that my other posts were on topic and added to the discussion. if you looked at my avatar, you'd see i've been a member since 2004 and have a post count of less than 1000. I average less than a post a day. i just don't think your fears of me going to another board and doing the same thing of responding to all threads was grounded. am i not allowed to respond to multiple threads within a 30 minute period? i don't like that rule if it's true.

6. vaderisone

vaderisone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2002

Thanks BDZ for getting our backs, but I think with time this will come to a resolution and all parties will be happy. Probably the greatest result is the Milwookies will go down even faster with all the new posting.

7. ToneLoc

ToneLoc Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    what are we doing here?

8. CarboniteHan

CarboniteHan Jedi Knight star 3

May 11, 2007
    Meet me at Boston Harbor for a tea party.

9. WOBDZ

WOBDZ Jedi Master star 4

Apr 9, 2001
    For crying out loud, I leave you people alone for months on end and look at all the trouble you get into!

"I feel a disturbance in the force..."

10. CarboniteHan

CarboniteHan Jedi Knight star 3

May 11, 2007
    Maybe it's something you ate.

11. jedi_runya

Jan 4, 2005
    Maybe the thing is I didn't understand or catch your brand of humor. To me it seemed as if you were trying your best to entice the mods (me :p )...

I am willing to look at it as humor, if you are willing to let me. :p

A lot of this will be defined in the new FF rules that are being drafted right now, and is in the hands of the CRs to approve. So in some ways I came from the point of view that what happened was crossing a line... I am willing to take some blame in allowing this to blow up, but there was others involved...

So the big question becomes... do we shake and start again? Or allow it to grow and get messier? I for one, would love to move on and let you guys do what you do best... being the close knit group who needs very little mod intervention. :)

jedi_runya

12. vaderisone

vaderisone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2002

'shake' :)

the Milwookies are toast with all the new posting

13. BaseDeltaZero

Mar 5, 2001
    It's no big deal. Xmaveric just likes to sound smart so that explains his lengthy post.

14. ToneLoc

ToneLoc Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    Could somebody explain it to me? I am clueless.

geez.

15. WOBDZ

WOBDZ Jedi Master star 4

Apr 9, 2001
    VIO - were you a good boy and stand still and be quiet during your time out?

16. garbagge59

Nov 23, 2004
    very few do...

17. BaseDeltaZero

Mar 5, 2001
    There isn't enough hours in the day! [face_laugh]

18. MusicTrooper

MusicTrooper Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2005
    _________________[image=http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a94/MusicTrooper/windowssenseofhumor.gif]

19. BaseDeltaZero

Mar 5, 2001
    If only it were that easy.

20. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
    I've been looking things over, and we have been doing much better at putting "substance" in our posts, instead of just fluff. I think we can all agree that we do not want to cause any ripples here (well, most of us). We just want a fun place to interact with other Star Wars fans. And crush them in Risk.

21. garbagge59

Nov 23, 2004
    RISK is a registered trademark of Hasbro Inc. Conquer Club is not associated with RISK or Hasbro in any way.

22. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
    I didn't say RISK, I said Risk. And wouldn't breaking Hasbro's trademark be a Risk? Or would it be a RISK?

23. garbagge59

Nov 23, 2004
    ok, good because i don't want you or conquerclub getting in trouble with those mean corporate lawyers.

24. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
    Star Wars is a registered trademark of Lucasfilm Ltd. This post is not authorized or approved by Lucasfilm Ltd. The purpose and content of this post are solely intended as a reference guide to Star Wars spam. This post in no way attempts to infringe on any copyright.

25. garbagge59

Nov 23, 2004
    now THERE'S a sig

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.