"Spanish" food and the Luftwaffe

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by Darth Guy, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    So, on my lunch break I decided to try a food truck called Barcelona on the Go. To my disappointment, the day's menu had more Mexican/Tex-Mex food than stuff from the European motherland. However, that didn't stop them from pretending to be authentic. They had Spanish-related decoration all over the truck, including a rather large photo of Picasso's Guernica. 'Cause when I think of a country's cuisine, I also like to think about wartime atrocities that happened in that country.

When I have sushi, I want to think of Tokyo burning to the ground. When I have a hot dog, I want to think of Wounded Knee. When I have... whatever passes for food in the UK, I want to think of the Blitz. Appetizing.
  2. Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus

star 7
  3. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    The firebombed steak quesadilla was pretty good.
  4. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    I would love to have this type of lunch issue at work.

Los Angeles Lakers: Drama, guaranteed.
  5. Esperanza_Nueva Force Ghost

star 6
    I used to have a poster of the Guernica over my bed. After awhile, it occurred to me there are probably better things to hang over my head while I try to sleep.
  6. Jozy_Oguchi Jedi Knight

star 3
    The UK actually has some pretty decent food if you have a taste for fried things.
  7. FatFrank Jedi Knight

star 3
    If I ever have fast food in wartime Germany, I will want to think about blitzkrieg. Because it's lightning war fare.
  8. Aytee-Aytee Force Ghost

star 5
    [image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e2/Fish_n_chips.jpg/220px-Fish_n_chips.jpg]
    These fish and chips are wrapped in the obituaries of those brave RAF pilots who died so that you could savor the flavor of freedom!
  9. JoinTheSchwarz Comms Admin & Community Manager

Administrator
    star 8
  10. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Not with Heinz sauce they're not.

(also savour / flavour)
  11. mrsvos Force Ghost

star 5
    Eating from a food truck could cause a blitzkrieg of sorts.
  12. Darth_Invidious Chosen One

star 5
    Happens nine times out of ten, from my experience. And yeah, a place called "Barcelona On The Go" that offers a mostly TexMex menu sounds like an uber fail to me.
  13. Whitey Force Ghost

star 6
    There's a Spanish restaurant called Tapas Rias that charged us $30 for two servings of Paella. I will never forgive Daveed.
  14. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    I used to have a print of David's Consecration of Napoleon and Josephine over mine. :p
  15. mrsvos Force Ghost

star 5
  16. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
    I agree with OP. Whenever I eat potatoes, I seethe over British colonialism. I am fortunate to be able to have this wonderful culinary experience at both of my homes, since I maintain dual citizenship between Eire/US. Burger King's new thicker fries enrage me... this much potato is available at affordable prices...? smh

Also, I always appreciate when I'm sitting in a diner and there is a grease fire in the kitchen. Nice reminder of Athens. Little touches like that serve to keep the food authentic.
  17. JoinTheSchwarz Comms Admin & Community Manager

Administrator
    star 8
    Was it any good? I'm yet to see any non-Spanish paella worthy of the name (although I hear some good things about Australian paellas).
  18. CloneUncleOwen Force Ghost

star 4
    Followed by My Lai Menudo and a glass of Grape of Nanking Lambrusco.
  19. Kiki-Gonn Chosen One

star 6
    This gives McDonald's a great idea on how to redecorate their Vietnam locations.
  20. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    Golden arches of napalm?
  21. Koohii Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Decent food in the UK? Either a French restaurant or a dish known locally as "Curry". Those are the only possibilities.
  22. duende Force Ghost

star 5
    spanish luftwaffles are pretty good but you have to watch out for the green spots.