main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Spanish" food and the Luftwaffe

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by Darth Guy, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    So, on my lunch break I decided to try a food truck called Barcelona on the Go. To my disappointment, the day's menu had more Mexican/Tex-Mex food than stuff from the European motherland. However, that didn't stop them from pretending to be authentic. They had Spanish-related decoration all over the truck, including a rather large photo of Picasso's Guernica. 'Cause when I think of a country's cuisine, I also like to think about wartime atrocities that happened in that country.

When I have sushi, I want to think of Tokyo burning to the ground. When I have a hot dog, I want to think of Wounded Knee. When I have... whatever passes for food in the UK, I want to think of the Blitz. Appetizing.

2. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    How was the food?

3. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    The firebombed steak quesadilla was pretty good.

4. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I would love to have this type of lunch issue at work.

Los Angeles Lakers: Drama, guaranteed.

5. Esperanza_Nueva

Esperanza_Nueva Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 23, 2003
    I used to have a poster of the Guernica over my bed. After awhile, it occurred to me there are probably better things to hang over my head while I try to sleep.

6. Jozy_Oguchi

Jozy_Oguchi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2010
    The UK actually has some pretty decent food if you have a taste for fried things.

7. FatFrank

FatFrank Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 30, 2011
    If I ever have fast food in wartime Germany, I will want to think about blitzkrieg. Because it's lightning war fare.

8. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    [image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e2/Fish_n_chips.jpg/220px-Fish_n_chips.jpg]
    These fish and chips are wrapped in the obituaries of those brave RAF pilots who died so that you could savor the flavor of freedom!

9. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
  10. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Not with Heinz sauce they're not.

(also savour / flavour)

11. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    Eating from a food truck could cause a blitzkrieg of sorts.

12. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Happens nine times out of ten, from my experience. And yeah, a place called "Barcelona On The Go" that offers a mostly TexMex menu sounds like an uber fail to me.

13. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    There's a Spanish restaurant called Tapas Rias that charged us $30 for two servings of Paella. I will never forgive Daveed.

14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I used to have a print of David's Consecration of Napoleon and Josephine over mine. :p

15. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    Tapass

16. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I agree with OP. Whenever I eat potatoes, I seethe over British colonialism. I am fortunate to be able to have this wonderful culinary experience at both of my homes, since I maintain dual citizenship between Eire/US. Burger King's new thicker fries enrage me... this much potato is available at affordable prices...? smh

Also, I always appreciate when I'm sitting in a diner and there is a grease fire in the kitchen. Nice reminder of Athens. Little touches like that serve to keep the food authentic.

17. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Was it any good? I'm yet to see any non-Spanish paella worthy of the name (although I hear some good things about Australian paellas).

18. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    Followed by My Lai Menudo and a glass of Grape of Nanking Lambrusco.

19. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    This gives McDonald's a great idea on how to redecorate their Vietnam locations.

20. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Golden arches of napalm?

21. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Decent food in the UK? Either a French restaurant or a dish known locally as "Curry". Those are the only possibilities.

22. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    spanish luftwaffles are pretty good but you have to watch out for the green spots.