main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ark Sparks in the Park, a successful Sithly event.

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by hyperspace_police, Mar 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hyperspace_police

hyperspace_police Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    Tracy had the idea that this would be a good event to participate in.

The MS Walkathon will be on April 8 from 11am to 1pm
    We can register as a team up until April 8.

Post here or pm if you can do this or think it is a good idea.

Thanks

Bacon

2. otisdodge

otisdodge Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2004
    oh--the 8th? I thought he said 18th.

3. Nyborg13

Nyborg13 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 28, 2004
    We are all new at this and I am as much to blame as anyone. If we do this which I thank would be fun in full dress infront of all those people. We need to get all the info on it and we will set minamums as discussed by Jaira and myself.

4. otisdodge

Sep 21, 2004
    What are you thinking for a minimum? I am sorta interested in this, but not particularly enthused about asking for donations again so soon.

...and I mentioned in my Movie Night thread that we could do our first showing that night--or do we want to spread things out...

5. Nyborg13

Jun 28, 2004
    We will have to wait and see if they have a minnimum first. See most people didnt know it and we found out to late to make it an issue but there was actually a 100.00 min on the bowling thing. Thats why we only got so many shirts and stuff cause they where for the ones that actually raised money they where supoosed to be for the ones that meet the min. but they made an exception for us. We just dont want an imberresing event like that to happen again.

6. VADER312

VADER312 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 11, 2005
    I'LL HAVE TO CHECK ON THE ON THE DAY, BUT I'M NOT MUCH ON RAISING MONEY AND MY FATHER HAS MS

7. Jaira

Jaira Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2005
    I'm up for it if I can make it. Right now, the amount of events that I can commit to is kinda hazy due to an ornery baby.

8. Lavenderrose73

Lavenderrose73 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 2, 2005
    I agree with Dodge; more money would be straining. My next 3 months will consist of paying for my upcoming acting class (now postponed till August) and buying tires before mine get much worse (the reason for the postponement; it got slick the last time I drove to Little Rock, and it was to enroll for that class. Yeah, I'll have to tough out going to Little Rock a few times, but instead of once a week for 10 weeks, it will be a 3 day camp). Depending on the money issue, I'd love to do the walk-a-thon. Just tell me what to wear.

Lavenderrose73 @};-

9. Jaira

Jaira Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2005
    Hey everybody!! After speaking to the directors of the MS Walk, it came to light that if we were to participate we would have to set a minimum donation of $100 per person. Since we just got finished with a fundraiser and we are uncomfortable with asking our friends and family for more money so soon, the Pres and I have decided to miss this particular event. Therefore, our concentration for events right now is going to Sparks in the Park in April, a possible Make A Wish event, and Riverfest in May. None of these events should require any money other than for gas and food. I will post more info on those events as soon as I have it.

10. ti7267

ti7267 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 31, 2005
    well with the money situation sara and I have right now im not sure on that :(

11. VADER312

VADER312 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 11, 2005
    YEA.... OUR SECOND CAR IS IN THE SHOP AND IT LOOKS AS IF MY WIFE IS GETTING LAID OFF. WHEN IT RAINS IT SURE RAINS SH@T!

12. Lavenderrose73

Nov 2, 2005
    it came to light that if we were to participate we would have to set a minimum donation of $100 per person...

That's pretty sorry; I really wanted to do that walk! What will they say to people who are trying but don't make that minimum, "Sorry, you can't walk"? Whatever!! And Vader312, I understand the laid off thing. I came home from work one day back in 2001 and got laid off by my answering machine!!! The two of you will certainly be in my prayers. May God bless you two after your predicament as He blessed me after mine!

About the Sparks in the Park thing, I'd said I didn't want to go for fear of spending but if I can hitch with someone again I just may do it anyway. I can just bring a set amount of cash and spend only that or something, but I really want to do this. It really sounds like fun, and after the Make A Wish event I fully enjoyed, I just don't want to miss anything! As long as it doesn't interfere with class, I want to go.

Lavenderrose73 @};-

13. ti7267

Jul 31, 2005
    yeah our bearer of bad news was sara's student loan, right now we are scared we aren't going to make rent cause now they are garnishing her wages :(

14. Lavenderrose73

Nov 2, 2005
    Dang, I'm sorry to hear that. I'm nearing my 10th year (been out of the Air Force 7 now), and just starting to use my G.I. Bill with only months to spare, maybe, by the time I get my little associates degree because before the pay broke $1000/month, I honestly thought I'd never use it. It didn't look like the G.I. bill would do more than make a dent in a student loan I wanted nothing to do with. Now with other lavish blessings divinely bestowed me, I'm able to go to school without working, so long as I don't overspend and never make anything lower than a C.

Lavenderrose73 @};-

15. ti7267

Jul 31, 2005
    i been out of the army for 6 years now :(

*could be so mean to otis* I actually have a scorch and a utapu clone trooper :p

16. Scotstrooper

Scotstrooper Jedi Youngling

Mar 20, 2006
    <<<<<retired early from the Royal Air Force in Jan 05 after 16 years of service, (I was RAFP, then OSI) in order to move over here. My wife is still in the ANG, going on 12 (maybe 13) years now.

Apologies for the OT!

Cheers, Gordon.

17. Jaira

Jaira Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2005

No, note that I said we would have to set the minimum. After the Bowl For Kids problem with raising money, the boss and I decided to talk to each fundraising director, then figure out what a minimum amount per person would be for the group so that we would make a good showing next time. After talking to this director, and figuring out their goals, we would have had to ask everyone to donate $100.

18. Nyborg13

Jun 28, 2004
    I would like to add: That anyone who wants to do the walk can there is no minimoum(oh well) they said to get a shirt you had to raise 100 each.
    We decided instead of doing it as a group and making some people fell like they had to go we would cancel this one as a group outing and worry more about the kids fair, Make a wish, and things like that, that wont cost us and we still make a good impresion. I thank we need to pick just a few fund raiser type things to do each year and they dont all have to be the same.
    For those of you who do walk have fun and its a great cause we may go the day of the walk since we are haveing a meeting at Jacob that night.

19. hyperspace_police

hyperspace_police Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    A very wise idea indeed.

I vote that we stick to the following as money raising events:

The Susan Komen race for the cure (The walking part) The minimum for this one is usually the 25.00 registration fee

and the Bowling for kids thing.

Other than that, riverfest, make a wish, perhaps something with the humane society...They could use people to have photos made with and that sort of thing that doesn't require us to raise any money individually (unless you want to)

Anyway...

That again is my two cents worth on those type things.
    Sharon pm me the Sparks in the Park dates and I'll add them here and change the thread title....
    Thanks

20. otisdodge

Sep 21, 2004
    Hey Gordon. Good to see you in here. Those are a lot of abbreviations I don't understand...

I think this event sounds like fun. What do we need to do to get organized?

21. Lavenderrose73

Nov 2, 2005
    Maybe someone misunderstood me. Jaira, I'm not bugged that you decided against it on our behalf; I'm bugged at them for giving you a reason to. When I worked at Baptist Health in Little Rock, I participated with my coworkers in one of those walk-a-thons at the Riverfront...for $20 or $25! And that was for the T Shirt. There was no pressure for money that I can remember. I was complaining about the rip-off minimum.

we would have had to ask everyone to donate $100...

$100 per person was what I understood. The "Sorry, you can't walk"? Whatever!! thing was not directed at anyone here. It was referring to those who decided on the minimum and made it too difficult for us to take part in, including myself. And I love the humane society thing because I just [face_love] animals. I always have. I would have a field day if our opportunities go in that direction. :) No hard feelings where y'all are concerned.

Lavenderrose73 @};-

P.S. We decided instead of doing it as a group and making some people fell like they had to go we would cancel this one as a group outing and worry more about the kids fair, Make a wish, and things like that, that wont cost us and we still make a good impresion...

I am very in tune with that; please don't get me wrong.

22. Astiateu

Astiateu Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2006
    I agree Barbara! I think that if someone wants to help out at a charity, that any amount even 10 dollars is better than nothing. This charity group making people who want to help raise at least 100 dollars to participate just turns away good people who mean well, in my opinion. lol.

Well, I think we should focus on the other charities that can't get a lot of help and would appreciate our wanting to help out, even without hundreds of dollars to give. :)

23. Jaira

Jaira Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2005
    But, if you all wanted to do the walk without the group, you could donate as little as you wanted. It's different when there is a group involved as opposed to one person.

24. Astiateu

Astiateu Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2006
    Ahhh ok that makes sense then!

25. Lavenderrose73

Nov 2, 2005
    I still feel the way I feel, group or not. $100 is still a lot of money to ask of one person, whether they're part of a bigger organization (workplace, club, etc.) or by themselves. Astiateu, I appreciate your understanding in this. Jaira, you're cool. I can't say I agree with their reasoning, but I can respect your point of view if you do, and I am all for steering toward opportunities that don't cost us anymore than food and gas. I'm just bugged that the walk wasn't one of them.[face_peace]

Lavenderrose73 @};-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.