main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Spartacus: Blood & Sand & Vengeance: New Episode Tonight

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Nevermind, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
  2. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  3. Benny_Blanco

Benny_Blanco Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2002
    Been hunting for a Spartacus thread......

literally cannot WAIT for this - I just finshed watching Blood and Sand, and Gods of the Arena back to back, and was completely blown away by how good they were! VERY annoying that I now have to wait till January!

Feel really bad for Andy Whitfield, he completely made the part his own, hope he recovers from his illness.

4. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Yeah, this is a show I'm defintley excited for. The past two seasons they've put out have been excellent and a lot of fun to watch. Blood and Sand was one of those no-brainer DVD buys and Gods of the Arena will be as well.

5. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Love this show. The first episode or two of Blood and Sand were unbelievably awful, and so I left the show. But then . . . friends with taste started telling me how much better it got. And it does. I'm glad I went back to it. It's over the top in the extreme but also insanely addictive. Love it to death. Can't wait for Season 2, but I hope that the new actor's up to the task.

6. Benny_Blanco

Jul 21, 2002

I think for the 1st episode or 2 I`ll be thinking, "This isn`t right....THAT`S not Spartacus!" but hopefully after that he can make his own mark. The producers etc obviously thought he was good enough for the role, and one thing that`s impressed me so far is there`s been absolutely NO bad casting.

All the way through Gods of the Arena (which is easily as good as Blood and Sand) I kept thinking I knew Gannicus`s face from somewhere so I googled him, turns out he was Mr Rent-A-Kill in Underbelly season 2!

7. Darth Dark Helmet

Dec 27, 1999
  8. Benny_Blanco

Jul 21, 2002

Sad news indeed.....:(

9. ImpKnight

ImpKnight Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2008
    RIP Andy.:(

Just got Gods of the Arena bluray from Amazon today. I watched B&S on bluray too. It'll be tough to wait for Vengeance to come out.

10. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

An irony hit me today. The 39 year old actor Andy Whitfield that played Spartacus in 2010 for TV is no longer with us.
    Kirk Douglas who played Spartacus in 1959 is still with us. I have no idea what that means, but somehow it's weird.

11. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    NOOO! Aww that is bad news...truely sad, he was great in this part. What is bad is his first diagnosis turned out great and he was givin a clean bill of health then just a few mths later bam he was right back with cancer.

12. Darth Dark Helmet

Dec 27, 1999
    This first episode of the second season is up for viewing on Starz's website, for those of us that can enter a birth date that makes you older then 18. Just watched it. Initial thoughts: damn fine first episode, I really enjoyed it. My biggest fear for the new season seems to be put to bed, Liam McIntyre, is very good as Spartacus. The first few minutes were a bit jarring, because I'm so used to Andy Whitfield in the role, but once the episode got going, I stopped seeing him not as the new guy, but as Spartacus. He embodied a lot of what Whitfield had brought to the role and he holds his own with Manu Bennett nicely. A very good start to the season.

13. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    10-11PM | STARZ | SEASON PREMIERE
    Spartacus: Vengeance

Liam McIntyre knows he's in a tricky spot, replacing the late, great Andy Whitfield...

14. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    I havent seen the episode yet, How was it? It'll be interesting to see what the writers and producers do with the plot because the principle escaped slaves are all characters of historical record that do amazing things for about four years. Crixus sacks Rome and holds it down for a few days before Crassus wipes him out. As good as the series has been thus far , its really just the prologue. It sucks that Whitfield is gone for many reasons, least of which being how amazing he was in that role.

15. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    From the episode it seems they will go that way sort of. They are going to go south and recruit more slaves so there is that.

16. severian28

Apr 1, 2004
    The fight scenes and music are spectacular as i suspected they would be but the story is lacking compared to the first season. Whitfield and Hannah are sorely missing and the dynamic they had with each other was really incredible. I didnt even realize it while i was initially watching it but Blood and Sand was one of the best television shows ive ever seen. The day to day life of the people seemed more authentic then HBO's Rome and there is an incredibly moving love story in the first season that grounded the entire narrative. The shows still good though. Lawless is an excellent actor. Its almost a shame she got type casted as Xena although it doesn't seem to bother her at all.

17. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    I disagree with the notion that the depiction of the day to day life of Romans is more realistic than ROME. That was the best I've seen so far. I just view Spartacus as an extremely stylized version of Roman life, with everything turned up to 11.

18. severian28

Apr 1, 2004
    In my opinion thats only true of the violence and sex scenes in Spartacus. For some reason, outside of the carnality, the characters seem much more realistically drawn up then with Rome.

19. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Spartacus: Vengeance
    Episode: Sacramentum
    NEW
    S03, E07

Spartacus and his rebels try to free the fighters enslaved in foreign wars; Lucretia recruits one of her husbands former gladiators.

CC
    TV-MA

10:00 - 11:00 PM STARZ