main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Special edition - worst and best changes

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Jo Lucas, Oct 6, 2015.

1. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Not to me. When I look at an image, I prefer to see details. Star Wars isn't the kind of independent artistic movie that uses high contrast and wacky color filters.

2. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    What exactly did you lose with the increased contrast of that shot? Luke's transparent helmet?

3. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    Yea, I don't see how a slight blur of the mountain background is worse than a snowspeeder freakin' clipping through Luke's helmet!

4. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    Best:
    1. Victory Celebration
    2. New Boba Fett voice
    3. The Emperor in TESB

Worst:
    1. Jabba in ANH
    2. Max Rebo and the Cabaret of Awful Music
    3. Replacement of "You're lucky you don't taste very good..."

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  5. CT1138

Sep 4, 2013
    The Speeder clipping Lukes head is a digital composition problem, not a cinematographic one. Separate departments, separate issues.

The problem is because we lose a lot of details on the cockpit and the costuming. The light patch on the suit directly behind Lukes head, proper lighting on the consoles to the left of Luke. The higher contrast makes it look like a dark, semi-gloss black, when in reality it's a faded flat black. The console below that little round nob on the side is almost invisible now. Some of the detailing on the top and back of the helmet have changed color, some for the better, some not. Visor is more yellow, but the red detailing on the top takes on a purple tinge. Yellow on the side is more vibrant, but the scuff marks look brown instead of grey. The orange flight suit is more vibrant, but now there's a red glow on the left side of the cockpit window.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  6. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    Really? I mean, the original voice is lost, forever.. and there was nothing wrong with it.

7. WriterMan

Nov 26, 2012

How is it lost forever? The 2006 DVDs have it, don't they? Besides, it's on the old VHS tapes as well. Our definitions of lost differ.

Wingreen's performance was very good, but it doesn't make sense in the "new" post-PT canon. If Morrison voices all of the clones, why wouldn't he also voice Boba, who's now a clone after the release of AOTC?

Saga Explorer and Jo Lucas like this.
  8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Oh, you see - Boba's voice got a whole lot raspier after being the GFFA's version of the Marlboro Man:
    [​IMG]
    (Disclaimer: this poster does not advocate smoking - don't start smoking!)

A joke, obviously, but there's a point to it. Boba doesn't have to sound like Jango. He might use a voice modulator (like Leia when she was disguised as Bousch) to seperate himself from the clones.

9. WriterMan

Nov 26, 2012
    I see your point. More or less, it's a change I can excuse. I'm not a big fan of any of the changes really, so this is one of the changes I find myself able to accept.

TigerCraneFist likes this.
  10. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yeah, I'm not opposed to the idea behind that change either, actually. I think I even stated that earlier in this thread - my problem is that Morrison's reading isn't very good. As if he only got one take per line or something (since he normally is a very good actor).

EDIT: I just realized I spent a good 20 minutes of my saturday night making a stupid joke ad for cigarettes with Boba Fett. I think I need help :p

11. Jedi with a TARDIS

Jedi with a TARDIS Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 4, 2013
    It's hilarious, but that is the only one that still bothers me! Sure, I blew a gasket at replacing Grandpa Anakin and now I don't bat an eye, but every time R2 goes flying: "It's 'YOU DON'T TASTE VERY GOOD' **** IT!"

At least those little boxes around the ships are a little less noticeable on Blu-ray, (The Special Edition boxes really got on my nerves.) but I like the Obi Yell on the SE best. Otherwise, I'm good. New celebration scene is THE BEST.

WriterMan likes this.
  12. CT1138

Sep 4, 2013
    You know, as a kid, I assumed death sticks were cigarettes.

TigerCraneFist and WriterMan like this.
  13. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Are death sticks even equivalent to anything Rl?

14. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    Worst: NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Best: Anything that improves the picture

15. MonkeyHouse143

MonkeyHouse143 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 4, 2015
    Worst
    1. Jedi Rocks
    2. Nooooooo
    3. CGI Jabba in the hanger

Best
    1. Changes to the Cloud City matte paintings. Wow the originals sure do look ugly by comparison.
    2. Improvements in several scenes involving the Falcon and Xwings after the escape from the Death Star. CGI was used in a few cuts during the battle of Yavin and the Falcon's approach to Yavin. These changes don't stick out, but look better when compared to the original. The departure from Mos Eisley was also improved.
    3. Ian McDiarmid as the Emperor in ESB

If Disney ever releases the OOT, I may put together an edit that keeps the stuff I like from the SEs and removes the stuff that I don't.

Darth__Lobot and Dagobahsystem like this.
  16. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Ha the weird emperor was a good change.

17. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Re: the ANH-SE, the improved SPFX are fine, sure. And adding the Jabba scene got all the press. But, for me, adding Biggs to the Yavin hangar scene was worth the price of admission, and then some.

Jediking97, Iron_lord and Sarge like this.
  18. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    I had my doubts, but I recently stumbled upon something that made me gain a new level of respect for what Lucas was doing.

CGI X-Wings. In 1978. My mind is blown. It is well-documented that CGI was used in ANH and ROTJ, but it was in a much different environment; the limited polygonal look was part of readouts and projections and not representing a realistic object. But here, we have something that is intended to be integrated with a real-life scenario. I immediately thought of the Special Editions, and how nearly the same changes were implemented with the X-Wings.

Truthfully told, CGI was in it's infancy at this time, and these effects were nowhere near realistic at the time. I'm glad they didn't go this route, but I still have a respect for the level of intricacy they achieved. This is what they were at two years ago:
    [​IMG]
    It's a world of improvement. IMO, the technology was finally perfected for the Phantom Menace. The Special Editions felt more like the guinea pigs for it.

EDIT: Lucasfilm actually rejected CGI at the time because of the cost. The shoe is now on the other foot, it seems.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  19. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    Best:
    Ian as the Emperor in ESB
    Jabba in ANH
    New Wampa scene

Worst:
    Young Anakin ghost
    Yub Nub removed
    I liked the old eye on the Dia Noga better.

20. Kuro

Kuro Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    My absolute least favorite change that I completely and utterly DESPISE and makes the film a million times worse:

Other changes I hate:

21. Kuro

Kuro Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    My absolute favorite change that I absolutely ADORE and makes the film a million times better:

Other changes that I find…acceptable, I guess:

22. SegNerd

SegNerd Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 18, 2015

That is the only change I don't like.

23. Encuentro

Encuentro Jedi Master star 2

Aug 8, 2013
    Another change I love is Luke giving a hug to Wedge at the end of Jedi. Wedge is one of those unsung heroes of the trilogy. He saved Luke's butt in A New Hope, allowing Luke to destroy the Death Star. He was present for every major battle. It was nice to see Lucas give Wedge that little tip of the cap at the end of the trilogy.

24. Colwyn Ren

Colwyn Ren Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 16, 2015
    Nice try, Disney. Just restore the theatrical version, please.

25. TuskenTourniquet

TuskenTourniquet Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 22, 2015
    Best: The improved Yeti in ESB
    Worst: Jedi Rocks and the Gypsie King rip off songs in ROTJ