main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Special Editions Vs. Original Version

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by MasterKingsama, Aug 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    I prefer the SEs, but look forward to the day when the added effects shots will be finished in the Ultimate Edition.

2. plutoneam

plutoneam Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 21, 2003
    Greedo shooting first: The fist time I saw star wars, was the SE. This scene confused me. For a while, I thought Han activated a deflector shield under the table, and the shots bounced back and hit Greedo. Ever since I found out how it really went down, I've LOATHED this change. I really hope GL takes is out for DVD.
    Jabba the Hutt scene: Not really needed. I can live with it either way.
    Battle of Yavin: I'm kinda neutral to this change. I like how they improved it for the SE, but I'd also like to see the original work of cinema as well.
    Added Wampa: I think I prefer it the original way, just becuase.
    Vader's shuttle scene: Hate it. Just hate it.
    Luke's scream: ^See above.
    I don't think I like ANY changes for the ESB SE.
    New Jabba Dance Number: Oh my gosh, WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?! I mute the scene when this part is on.
    New Sarlacc beak: I don't like this change. I can live with it, but I'd prefer it not to be there.
    New ending: I have mixed feelings on this one. I like how we see the rest of the galaxy celebrating, but I also miss the Ewok song. If I had my way, it would show the rest of the galaxy, but when it showed the Ewok, they would still sing.

ANH: I think I prefer the original.
    ESB: Definately prefer the original
    ROTJ: I'd always prefer the original.

www.originaltrilogy.com
    Sign the petition everybody, even if you don't like the O-OT. Nobody can force you to buy them. But please do it anyway.

3. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    OT, Babyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!! :D

4. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    I have mixed feelings. I like the SEs but there are a few things I despise.

First, the overuse of CGI. It takes me away from SW when I see a shot in the SE and go "look, neat CGI!" *Groan*

Greedo shooting first: Not only its a dumb change, it looks horribly jerky and fake...

The Ewok Song: I love that song! Best movie ending ever! It always, always cheers me up. When I'm down, I put the CD in my car and sing nub. nub! Why did they have to change it? Why! WHY!!!!!

I do like the cleanup of some effects, the added Wampa shots, the Luke and Biggs scene...

The Jabba scene is cool, but I despise CGI Jabba and I hate when Han steps on his tail.

In summary, I like the originals better.

5. DarthMaul13

DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 1998
    I would take the originals with the ROTJ SE ending. The majority of the changes were unnecessary.

6. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Some of the changes I liked:

1. The added Biggs scene. This actually improves the ending because we understand why Luke looks so upset when he dies.

2. Don't mind the Wampa scene but don't mind the old version either.

3. Some of the CGI at the end of ANH looks pretty real and it doesn't try to be so flashy. If only TPM was more like this.

4. The Ewok song has changed to something more moving than Yub Yub.

5. The shot of the Sandcrawler. Can't remember what used to be there though...

6. The cleaned up footage and sound.

Overall I like about 20% of the changes but I still prefer the originals.

7. Boba_Kris

Boba_Kris Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 8, 2003
    One scene in ANH Special Edition that is cheesy was when Han is charging at the Stormtroopers on the Death Star. In that scene Han separates from Luke and Leia while trying to flee back to the Falcon. When Han is stopped, he sees dozens of Stormtroopers and I think there is some ship in the background too.

I thought it looked fake and weak. The original scene where Han sees a couple of Stormtroopers looked better.

8. DARTHMORDOR

DARTHMORDOR Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    given the choice I prefer the originals.
    there are certin things I enjoy about the special editions. but the originals are the films I grew up with so thats what I really want. I will buy and accept any thing gl pus out but I really don't want even more changes made. he did go to far with a lot of the changes in the special editions. a lot of it was just "hay see what we can do now" removing walls for sky in esb. things like that.
    the rotj end was a good addition. greedo shooting first was not. mos eisly bacgrounds were good. dancers in the palace was not. a duet in star wars I don't need.
    i did like jabbas scene in the hanger but also realise it is just a guilty pleasure having seen it with the actor when I was a child. it is a scene not necesary to the flow of the film. greddos scene explanes all we need to know. jabaa is repetitive and shows he is not a ruthless as we thought.

give me both verisons. but give me the originals first.

9. ValinFett21

ValinFett21 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 24, 2003
    The CG backgrounds are good but I agree the Jabba scene wasn't very good(although it would be cool to see Boba Fett in ANH). I liked the end of ROTJ with the party on Coruscant(although I'm sure there would be Imperial forces still on the capital).

10. skyy38

skyy38 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 26, 2003
    There were many good things to admire about
    SW:SE and some not so good things....

The good things-

The extended "Look Sir,Droids!"scene with moving dewbacks.

The improved exterior shot of Bens home.

Hans exchange with Jabba in DB-94.

The Falcons takeoff from DB-94-I always wondered whether they had roofs or were open-air!

The X-Wings more realistic takeoff from the 4th moon-I never did buy those "streaks" in the original edition.

The "curve" shot of the X-Wings swinging around to eventually face the Death Star.

Not so good things-

Han zapping Greedo while Greedo just misses.Stevie Wonder couldn't have missed at that range plus it just shows Han acting in self defense where before he was a true mercenary and acted first,no matter what.Give us back the old scene please.

The Falcon as it approaches Yavin for orbit.
    Looks more like the Falcon is going down a manhole chute.I like the old version better.

Biggs "sudden" appearance to say hi to Luke.
    No objection to the scene itself,it's just that the rest of Biggs and Lukes history needs to be filled in,know what I mean?(hint-hint)

11. IDigMetalBikinis

IDigMetalBikinis Jedi Master star 2

Oct 1, 2003
    One dialogue change in ESB I notice hasn't been mentioned much, which I absolutley hate:

Luke to R2 on Dagobah after the droid nearly gets eaten by "Nessie":

"are you allright? You're lucky you don't taste very good"
    to
    "are you allright? You were lucky to get out of there."

Why on Earth anyone would think that flavorless line is preferable to the original humorous line is beyond me.

12. Old_Brown_Shoe

Old_Brown_Shoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    I prefer the ANH and ESB O-OT, and the ROTJ SE. If they'd just limited themselves to fixing dodgy special effects, like the orange Landspeeder blob, and matte lines, I wouldn't care, but some of the stuff...well, SE Jabba didn't do it for me then, and he sure don't do it for me now. Han's confrontation with Greedo looks silly; perhaps it could be improved with a different angle, but the range! My sweet lord, the range! Just because you *can* do something, doesn't mean you should! Just give us improved visuals and audio, and leave out the plot revisions! (and give us the ability to have both versions on DVD, from a historical point of view; I've never had the joy of home widescreen viewing of the O-OT.)

Luke's scream doesn't do anything for me, but I did like having Bespin expanded beyond the blank walls. The "Vader going to the Executor" bit was pointless. Gee, when I was three back in '84, I spent hours wondering how Vader got back to his ship, even though he said "bring my shuttle". Oh, wait, I didn't. This SE addition was pointless redundancy. O-OT!

ROTJ SE: hey, "Lapti Nek" is dumb early 80s dance music, "Jedi Rocks" is dumb pop rock. I don't care which one I get. The end-celebration is, I think, improved without "yub yub". I'll go with the SE.

13. DARTHMORDOR

DARTHMORDOR Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    I love the originals. but the se's are fine. except han shoots first.

and I still don't like the song and dance number in jedi.

14. MasterKingsama

MasterKingsama Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2003
    i really think that Gl should give the fans a selection screen that would allow us to pic and choose the scenes we want to see, not sure if that is possible on a dvd, but would be great if it was...

15. La_Capitan

La_Capitan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 22, 2003
    Generaly I like the SE better. But I hate the same stuff that everybody in the world hates such as greedo shooting first.

16. hoth-nudist

hoth-nudist Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 5, 2000
    I can only watch ESB SE. But I have to fast-forward the additional wampa footage and I dont like luke's scream. Greedo shooting 1st and jedi rocks is pure sh#@.

17. QUEEN_LEIA

QUEEN_LEIA Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 29, 2003
    Greedo shooting first is one of the worst changes to happen in the SW saga.

Luca$ just couldn't leave well-enough alone.

18. gedi

gedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 14, 2002
    lucas should of just fixed what needed fixing. he trys to turn sceenes into jokes which if your watching once or twice there ok but for people like us it makes us sick.
    hopefully george lucas is holding back on the ot dvds so he can take out the bad sceenes and bad cgi after ep3 is finished but i cant help thinking hes going to screw them up with more fart jokes and unfunny sceenes.
    the worst se has got to be anh with the drive into mos eisley, greedo shoots first and jabbas tail.

19. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    Here's my take on the SE. It is like when I was a child and I would draw a picture, it would start off pretty good. I would then add some more to it and it would get better. But I still had to add more and more until I ruined what was once a pretty good drawing.

20. Zethlin_Maximus

Zethlin_Maximus Jedi Youngling star 4

May 31, 2003
    I agree TOTALLY with IKilledSifo-Dyas in everything he said. I couldn't have put it better if I'd tried! A VERY good post. Other than the improved Death Star battle from ANH, they can stick the SE right up Jabba the Hutt's arse! Yes, that would make me very happy indeed! :D

21. the-dork-knight

the-dork-knight Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 14, 2003
    I personally think it's absurd that we even have to make that distinction. GL should give us the chance to actually choose. Each version has some good points and some weak ones, but it should be up to us to decide which films we want to see. GL says all sorts of things about what is or isn't canon, so he can even consider the O-OT as nothing more than another piece of Infinities EU. There is obviously a demand for the O-OT, and it's a shame he isn't willing to let the fans have it. I think it's very sad that GL is depriving the next generation of the chance to see O-OT that I first saw at the tender age of 6. I loved those films. Luke was my hero, Leia was my crush, and Vader scared the Kool-Aid out of me. Let the fans decide, George. It may be his "vision," but it's our childhoods. We should be able to relive our younger days with a copy of the O-OT we don't have to worry about giving out in very short order. George can say all he wants about his "vision," and how things should be. To me, Star Wars is always about that younger dork-knight-in-training, running around with a cardboard tube lightsaber. The collection of six year olds in all of us who first got swept away to a galaxy far, far away deserves to make that decision.

22. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    I like the Special Edition better. But that's me.

23. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    After the SE came out, I could never go back to the OT, it always felt "unfinished".

The SE does have its flaws, but the new ROTJ ending makes up for all of those, ROTJ was my favourite movie for years and I can't even remember the yub-yub song anymore! Give me the new one anyday.

I also love the added cloud city footage, and the herd of Banthas in the dune sea, it was a nice touch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.