main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Info Special Features - How can I do ... ? What is ... ?

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Skiara , Mar 18, 2013.

1. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Have you wondered what trophies are or what 'tagging a member' means, not to speak of how you can do this? Then you've found the right place.

This thread is about special features that came with the new board software. You'll find answers and learn how to get it work. The following list doesn't claim to be completed, so if you think something is missing, let us know.

1. Trophies
    2. Ranks
    3. Tagging a member
    4. Inserting pics to posts
    5. Stars
    6. Posting with a mobile phone / app
    7. Search function

If you need a place to test your skills, please, use the http://boards.theforce.net/threads/practice-markup-codes.5092339/]Mark-Up[/url] Code thread.

2. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    1. Trophies

Trophies or better trophy points are awarded for certain actions like posting, recieving likes, getting older, staying here, etc. Take a look at the complete list of trophies to learn when you might get your next trophy.

2. Ranks

Ranks like "Youngling" or "Knight" are based on ones trophy count. The more trophy points ones earn, the higher the rank is. This is the current list of ranks:

Current ranks:
    Jedi Youngling - 0 trophy points
    Jedi Padawan - 50 trophy points
    Jedi Knight - 100 trophy points
    Jedi Master - 250 trophy points
    Jedi Grand Master - 500 trophy points
    Force Ghost - 750 trophy points
    Chosen one - 1000 trophy points
    Jungian Archetype - 2500 trophy points
    Kwisatz Haderach - 5000 trophy points

Old:
    Jedi Youngling - 0 trophy points
    Jedi Padawan - 15 trophy points
    Jedi Knight - 30 trophy points
    Jedi Master - 45 trophy points
    Jedi Grand Master - 100 trophy points
    Force Ghost - 200 trophy points
    Chosen one - 500 trophy points
    Kwisatz Haderach - 5000 trophy points

3. Tagging a member

If you tag a user, then you send out an automatic alert message, which notifies him/her that he/she got mentioned in a thread. It's often used to "invite" or "lead" a user to a certain discussion.

You can tag a user by simply adding the @ symbol to ones full username. Often the system show you a small pop up suggesting the user you might mean (like an auto-fill feature). For example: Skiara - this way I would get an alert message, if I hadn't tagged myself.

Take a look at this small discussion as well.

4. Inserting pics to your posts

The simplest way to post pictures into a thread here is to create a Photobucket account (free service) and upload them to that (I think thare are other providers out there, but I've used Photobucket for years and have found it both reliable and simple). One can do the same from a Facebook account (or even direct from Wikipedia/Wookiepedia), but it's a bit more complicated and error-prone.

Once in Photobucket, mouse over the image and you'll get a drop-down listing of four common posting formats, the one for here is the second one down the list (marked 'Direct Link'). Click on the character string in the box (the word 'copied' will appear briefly) and the contents will have transferred onto the Computer's 'Clipboard' utility.

Switch back to the thread you want to post into, go into the 'reply' box at the bottom of the page, click the Insert/Edit Image icon (between the, probably greyed-out, broken chain link and the film-strip icons), wait for the pop-up box to appear, Paste the clipboard contents into it and click 'Insert'. Repeat as many times as that particular thread/forum allows.
    (by Tim Battershell in the welcome thread "http://boards.theforce.net/threads/model-maker.50008359/{/URL}]model[/url] maker")

5. Stars

You can "earn" various kind of stars by reaching certain amount of posts. Here is the list:

1 star - 50 posts
    2 stars - 250 posts
    3 stars - 500 posts
    4 stars - 1,000 posts
    5 blue stars - 5,000 posts
    blue star -10,000 posts
    shiny bronze star - 20,000 posts
    shiny silver - 30,000 posts
    shiny golden star - 40,000 posts
    nuklear star - 50,000 posts

6. Posting with a mobile phone / app

In case you like to post while being on the mobile phone, you need to know how you can use the MarkUp Code. It's pretty simple: You need to type the code the hard way - and the list of coding will help you.

7. Search function

The search function got disabled due to stability issues. But there's a workaround: Use google and add "site:boards.theforce.net" right after your search words. Then google searches only the Jedi Council. If you like to search a certain board, then you need to add the correct URL to the board in question. It looks similar to this: "site:boards.theforce.net/forums/whatevercomesnextatthespecificURL"

3. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    (placeholder)

4. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    Skiara

What's it mean to 'follow' someone or if someone has elected to 'follow' you?

Edit: Quoting not necessary, edited for readability.

5. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    In earlier times, it was called 'watched user list'. If you follow someone or someone follows you (or watches), you have an easier access to their profile. Sometimes it's also used as 'friend list'.

6. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    What's the star that's now showing up below my name?

7. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Revan_AnakinSolo, that's just a sign for the amount of posts you have.

There are ten different once. The highest one is the one you can see below my name.

8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    How ashamed should I feel for postin over ten thousand times before my first year anniversary?

9. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    How ashamed should I feel for postin over ten thousand times before my first year anniversary?

10. It Is Your Destiny

It Is Your Destiny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 1, 2014
    I Are The Internets
    10,000 posts in one year is truly impressive. :)

Skiara
    Do users that follow you get an alert when you update your status?

11. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Impressively sad.

GrimdarkRose and Dak Oolron like this.
  12. TheChosenSolo

Dec 9, 2011
    How many posts between each one?

13. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    I Are The Internets, this is not a social thread. Please, keep the usual chats at the other social threads around. Thanks.

Revan_AnakinSolo, I don't have that list with me right now. I'll post it when I'm at my big computer. :)

It Is Your Destiny, I'm not sure. But from my experience, you don't get one. At least, I have never got one so far. But maybe there's something in the personal options. I turned most alerts off. ;)

14. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Revan_AnakinSolo, I've added the list of stars to the first post. Answer that your question? :)

Revan_AnakinSolo likes this.
  15. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    In the search tool is there anyway to search for a particular author's stories -- I have done some searches but it brings up that members messages posts also. What I am looking to do is to reach authors I know first and then work my way through to others. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

16. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    If you have played around with the 'advanced search' also, I don't think that there's anything you can do. Sometimes it's even more usful to read through index threads of board in question (here: Literature) or to post a new thread, if you have a certain question or need help. Usually, we are an helpful bunch of people and you'll get some good advices and links.

Not much help, but I hope it's a good start for you. :)

17. TheChosenSolo

Dec 9, 2011
    How does one acquire the "Liar" point?

18. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    That one... you need 1000000 posts to get that point. I guess that will take some time for everyone in here - unless they lie. :p

19. scooper121s

scooper121s Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 4, 2014
    I like the rank feature, it's pretty cool :)

20. TheChosenSolo

Dec 9, 2011
    I still don't quite get how you can artificially inflate your post count.

Also, I've been seeing this acronym around a lot: What's LACWAC?

21. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    It's the old name for the SW TV forum - Live Action, Clone Wars, And Cartoons(?). Not sure about that last part. It's been awhile since the forum was renamed.

22. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    There are a number of ways of artifically inflating post counts. All of which are considered spam.

23. Obi-yoda

Obi-yoda Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 10, 2014
    I have a question: I broke the 100 post mark about 12 hours ago, yet I still only have one star. When can I expect it to update? Thanks, and have a great day :)
    [​IMG]

24. TheChosenSolo

Dec 9, 2011
    I didn't get my second star until 250 posts.

Obi-yoda likes this.
  25. Obi-yoda

Obi-yoda Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 10, 2014
    Ok, thanks for the information :)