main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Special Forces TIE question...

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Keycube, Dec 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keycube

Keycube Jedi Master star 2

Jan 19, 2009
    Hopefully I'm not geeking out too bad over this; I can sometimes miss the most obvious stuff at times, but the faux-tech is the sort of thing that always resonates with me. :)

So, we see Finn and Poe escape in a TIE/sf, without the traditional personal TIE life-support getup. That being the case:

1. I haven't see any technical analysis regarding the TIE/sf having an internal life-support/pressurized cabin (though other new advancements like shields & hyperdrive are noted).

2. There has been only one type of TIE pilot in terms of movie exposure and merchandise (that I know of), and they all have personal life-support suits.

So, apparently the Empire didn't like TIE pilots to get attached to their ships (you're just a number, grunt), so they rarely piloted the same ship; if the FO adopted the same methods, perhaps a superfluous life-support suit is worn just in case the pilots had to quickly swap for a traditional TIE (even though that would be seen as quite the affront for an elite squad, eh)?

Or maybe because a TIE pilot would be more apt to venture to places unknown, as opposed to a resistance fighter that would more likely end up at a base with a familiar environment?

Or was this something that was just done (having no helmets/suits) to facilitate a quick getaway for Finn and Poe, and easier communication (and face time) in the ship for the sake of the movie? And the tech writers just haven't justified it yet?

As an aside, the new life-support units (for all TIE pilots, seemingly) have only one snorkel hose going to the helmet when there are two attachment points; do we know of a reason for this?

Hopefully this hasn't already been addressed and I missed it. Thanks!

2. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    There is no life support. Filoni looked to have been copying Abbrams on Rebels because he has them do the same things when they steal Tie's.

3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    For the one hose and two attachment point questions, could be that the helmet can be attached to an oxygen tank installed in the TIE or to a backpack oxygen tank. Two attach points would allow the pilot to switch from one to the other without being totally disconnected from both for a short time.

Or, it could be as simple as a backup system. Redundancy is good. Redundancy is good.

4. Jmacq1

Jmacq1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2005
    There may be no life support but that could still not necessarily conflict with what we see in the movie: Finn and Poe aren't in the TIE for very long. Assuming it IS airtight and pressurized (which I think is a reasonable assumption without having a full blown "life support system") there'd have been more than enough air in the cockpit for them to survive as long as they, as long as the cockpit wasn't breached until they were in-atmosphere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.