San A, TX Special Olympics

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by Captain_Pete_Solo, Jan 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain_Pete_Solo Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm inviting all SAFF members to take part in Special Olympics here in SA. This will be the winter games and they are expecting a huge turn out. We will be in Athlete's Village and mingling w/ the athletes. Even if you don't have a costume, help is needed in all departments.

The location is at Alzar Shrine Temple on 901 N 1604 from 10-2. They will have a dance on Sat night from 5-10 PM.There will be approximently 2000 athletes from all over the state
    The SA Zoo may be coming w/ a petting zoo
    There will be beauty queens and fire fighters there.

Afterwards there will be a Victory Dance at:
    Pedrotti's North Wind Ranch
    13715 FM 1560 North.

I will be meeting w/ the Special Olympics members this week, I will fill you in as I get more info.
    Are yall in?
  2. Captain_Pete_Solo Jedi Knight

star 1
    Here's some more information I got from today's meeting.
    This will be the Winter games and we will be in the Athlete's VIllage at the Alzafar Shrine Temple on 901 N Loop 1604. This will be the state games and they are expecting a huge turnout. Some of the events that will be running will be bowling, basketball, volleyball, figure skating and power lifting. However the competitions will not be at the same area. They will be spread out. We would be in the Athlete's Village.
    The event will be Feb 2& 3. Feb 2 the event will run from 10-4. Feb 3 will run from 10-2.
    The Alzafar shrine temple is huge. It has 14x400 feet. The event will be Feb 2-3. Feb 2, Athelte's Village will run from 10-4. Feb 3 will run from 10-2. There will be on site registration. They are expecting 2000, but not at the same time. The athletes will be spread out at diffrent areas, some of which are Home Court America, a couple of diffrent bowling alleys, etc. We will be at Athlete's Village at the Alzafar Shrine temple.
    Lunch will be provided, probablly by Subway.
    Among some of the events and activities at Athlete's Village:
    Arts and Crafts
    Petting Zoo
    Fire Truck
    Mariachis
    Teen Queens
    Various games
    Karioki
    Maybe the Spurs Coyote, they are still in talks w/ him.
    Possibly The Rampage orginization
    Maybe the Silver Dancers.
    Souvineers-in the forms of shirts, pins, etc

3. thx1067 Force Ghost

star 1
    I'm down for Saturday!
  4. Sith_Mistress Jedi Knight

star 3
    Thanks for posting the info on the Special Olympics event, Pete. I definitely plan to attend, and I'll make sure to pass the info along to everyone else.

Lisa
  5. Darth-Hulk Jedi Master

star 4
    It sounds like a sweet gig. I'm there to do what I can!
  6. Captain_Pete_Solo Jedi Knight

star 1
    Glad to have yall onboard, looks like we're gonna have an awesome time.
  7. Captain_Pete_Solo Jedi Knight

star 1
    Here's an update

BE THERE AT 9:00. Everything starts officially at 10, but get there early enough so this way you can get your costume ready.

There will be a free lunch.

I am waiting word from them to see if we can get access to the dressing rooms at the Shriner's Temple.

The Spurs Coyote and Silver Dancers will probablly not be there due to that being All Star Weekend also.

I think I covered all the bases. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

8. Sith_Mistress Jedi Knight

star 3
    Pete, thanks for stopping by the meeting on Saturday and giving us more info on the Special Olympics event. We are looking forward to this event, and I'll make sure to let you know if I hear from anyone else who plans to attend.

See you on Feb. 3rd
    Lisa
  9. Captain_Pete_Solo Jedi Knight

star 1
    Just a reminder. The address for the Alzfar Shrine Tempple is 901 North Loop 1604 West. It's by the Stone Oak Parkway.
    Take Loop 1604 West to the Stone Oak/Voight Drive exit. Drive through the intersection The Alzafar Shrine Temple will be on your right.
    Be there at 9:00 AM, Athlete's Village starts at 10, this will give you time to fix your costume. Athlete's Village runs till 2.

There is also the Victory Dance that night.
    Pedrotti's Northwind Ranch 13715 FM 1560 North.
    Take Loop 1604 West: continue traveling west until you reach the FM 1560 West exit. Take this exit. Continue to down the frontage road and thorugh the Kyle Seale Parkway intersection. When you reach the FM 1560 West intersection, turn right towards Helotes. Look for the Pedrotti's sign on the right side of the road.

10. Captain_Pete_Solo Jedi Knight

star 1
    Joining us on Sat will be Henry the Puffy Taco. Also joining us will be World Car Kia Spokeswoman Vanessa Macias. They will be there along w/ the maricachis, firemen and EMS techs.
    Should be fun.

11. Sith_Mistress Jedi Knight

star 3
    Pete, where and what time should we meet on Saturday? Is there a certain area where we need to park? Please send me your cell phone # by email or private message.

Thanks, see you Saturday.
    Lisa
  12. Captain_Pete_Solo Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'll be there by 9. There is lots of parking. Be there at 9, this way it will give you time to get your costumes ready.
  13. Captain_Pete_Solo Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'll post some last minute instructions tomorrow. Lisa, if ya can, call or email me.
  14. Captain_Pete_Solo Jedi Knight

star 1
    The address is 901 North Loop 1604 West at the Alzafar Shrine Temple. It is across the highway from Ventura Plaza and Allen and Allen company.
    Be there at 9:00 AM, this way you can do costume adustments and fill out the volunteer forms. We will be there in Athlete's Village and for costumers, all you have to do is mingle w/ the athelets in a meet and greet format. Be in character and have fun w/ it.
    There will be 2 competitions there, they will have table tennies and power lifting. If you are a costume volunteer, you are not allowed to watch the competition since it may be a distraction for the athletes.
    Athlete's Village runs from 10-2.
    If you have any questions, feel free to email me at pete_solo@yahoo.com
    I will see yall on Sat.
    Peter
  15. Sith_Mistress Jedi Knight

star 3
    Thanks for the info, Pete. I have sent out the information to everyone who plans to attend, and I'll give you a call some time tomorrow too. We are bringing our polaroid camera, so it would be great if we could get everyone who is going to donate a pack of film, if they can.

See you Saturday,
    Lisa
  16. Darth-Hulk Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm so sorry I couldn't make it guys. My wrist is still hurting and I'm working with one hand. I wasn't feeling well. I'm sorry I missed the event.
  17. Captain_Pete_Solo Jedi Knight

star 1
    Sorry you couldnt make it Mareselis, maybe next time. I just wanted to say, thank you to everybody who came out, gave their time and energy to yesterday. I know that all the athletes, their parents, teachers, caregivers and volunteers enjoyed seeing all of us out there. Thanks also to members Rebel Legion for coming out as well. A lot of work went into this and I couldn't have done it with out yall.
    Thanks again :)
  18. Sith_Mistress Jedi Knight

star 3
    Marselles - You were definitely missed on Saturday. You are always an asset to every event we do. Anyway, I hope your wrist starts feeling better.

Pete - Thank you so much for including us in the Special Olympics event! It was a lot of fun and the kids seemed to have a really great time. I'll forward you any pictures that we took, and make sure to send me the ones your group did. Thanks again!

Lisa
  19. Darth-Hulk Jedi Master

star 4
    My wrist is getting better. Still a little weak. I feel so bad that I missed the event. I promised I'd be there and I hate when I don't live up to promises. All I have is my word. I just feel bad.
  20. BroodMcEto Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey - just wanted to say hey and that I really had a great time. All the athletes really brightened up my life. Can't wait for the next one...
  21. Captain_Pete_Solo Jedi Knight

star 1
    I got a letter from Holli Foye the Special Olympics Special Events Co-Ordinator from Austin.

"Pete
    I wanted to thank you very much for organizing the Star Wars groups at Winter Games Athelet Village. The athletes really enjoyed seeing all of the diffrent characters & posing for pictures with them. You all wre a HIT
    Thanks again!
    Holli Foye"
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.