main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Species diversity across the saga

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth Vader's Chest Plate, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Darth Vader's Chest Plate Jedi Master star 2

Mar 18, 2013
    Sorry if this is covered on another thread already, please feel free to merge as necessary.

I still find it strange that the rebellion is primarily humans in ANH and ESB, with the introduction of other species to the cause in ROTJ.
    Up until ROTJ we still see alien species but they are "Scum & Villainy" handing out in bars, gangsters posses and bounty hunters.

If the PT is as diverse as is appears with regards to species (Jedi and the senate as examples), then i find it hard to imagine that there wouldn't be a representation of species with in the rebellion.

This makes Leia's "walking carpet reference" along with the look she gives to Chewbacca all the more odd and racist for a senator!

2. Thom Skywalker

Thom Skywalker Jedi Master star 1

Dec 1, 2014
    Agreed!

That scene was intended to be funny.
    But the way Lucas evolved the saga, it now looks totally nonsense...

After so many changes, special editions and extended versions, he could have added alien pilots at the battles of Yavin and Hoth.
    It would have been more welcomed than the Jedi Rocks show.

Revious Nugo likes this.
  3. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Perhaps it isn't a diversity issue in his eyes. It isn't 'wrong' that both the Empire and Rebellion are Human-centric.

4. Thom Skywalker

Dec 1, 2014

Yeah but....
    To maintain consistency, the rebellion should be human-centric in ROTJ also.
    Ackbar is too high ranked for an alien species so ignored until "last year" (since it is the time between episodes 5 and 6).

Or at least Leia could have said during the Alliance Assembly: "Will somebody get this stinking fish out of our meeting?"
    Just to maintain consistency :p

5. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Not to me. Growth is also good plus it's *good* they show the Rebels and Jedi aren't as 'white' as they think. :)

6. Thom Skywalker

Dec 1, 2014
    Not to me either...

The point is that Lucas was a lot more naive at ANH and TESB.

Revious Nugo likes this.
  7. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Maybe Lucas had a bigger budget for ROTJ from having made money off the first two films, and could get more people to act in costumes? I was just watching ANH the other day and it occurred to me that all those aliens costumes in the cantina scene must have taken a lot of effort...and that was for non-speaking characters that only showed up for one or two takes. Meanwhile for the PT, you could easily create lots of aliens through CGI.

Gamiel, Revious Nugo and Iron_lord like this.
  8. Revious Nugo

Revious Nugo Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 14, 2014
    I think Lucas just didn't have enough money or resources to show enough aliens in the originals. I think he went all out in the cantina, and after that didn't have the time to add anymore aliens. Also, I think that the Empire is supposed to be all male humans... not because they're racist, but because they (under the direction of Palpatine) are control freaks, and it can get messy when you have hundreds of species of aliens running around.

9. Thom Skywalker

Dec 1, 2014
    There were no aliens inside the Alliance and the Empire in ANH.
    Money issues could be accepted.

But Lucas had money, success and lots of support when he was filming TESB.
    And still he had no aliens inside the armies.
    Aliens were just for the evil bounty hunters or the dumb ugnaughts.
    Once again, aliens were "Scum & Villainy".

He added Storm Troopers, ships and lots of CGIs for the ANH&TESB Special Editions, but no aliens inside the armies.
    Lots of money and time for the Jabba CGI, though. ("Scum & Villainy")

Lucas evolved the saga, that's it...
    His mindset was completly different when he presented us the Senate at TPM, full of aliens.

10. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014
    And those minor characters Yoda and Chewbacca.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  11. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I think many people are projecting today's pushed views on a Saga made decades before and finding it wanting. To each their own. I am not hung up on diversity issues as seems cool today. I think Lucas did what he wanted and it should be respected as his art. I do not hold as many seem to that one has the right to place demands on other's art.

jc1138, Sarge and Lulu_Mars like this.
  12. Thom Skywalker

Dec 1, 2014
    Hahaha!!!
    I have never forgot about them both!!

We are basically talking about armies.....
    Yoda was not a rebel soldier... He was introduced as a fantastic master who lived far, far away from humans.

And Chewee, well, he was Han's sidekick. He left the Alliance at the end of ANH when Han considered that was a suicide mission.
    Then the wookie would left the Alliance AGAIN when Han was going to pay Jabba in TESB.

And soon after he took Leia back to the rebels, he left with Lando to save Han, saying: "Wooonnn ROUUNN gruuuuuON", which means: "Sorry, I have no time for you, rebels".

Chewee was not officially part of the Rebel Alliance.. He was loyal only to Han.
    And he was right, right??? After all, why should he be loyal to an army so racist?

[face_plain][face_plain][face_plain][face_plain][face_plain][face_monkey][face_plain][face_plain][face_plain][face_plain][face_plain][face_plain][face_plain][face_plain]

13. Tarkin's Fuzzy Slippers

Tarkin's Fuzzy Slippers Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2014
    To be fair, I'm not sure where, but I think I read that Humans were supposed to the dominant species in both number and in the area of politics in the GFFA. Not to mention we're only really looking at the story line of one specific group of rebels, not the Rebel Alliance as a whole, so who knows what other cells look like and I believe there are quite a few "alien" species that more or less can pass for Human, as long as you don't look at their insides in the EU.

14. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014
    There was not an army of alien scum in Empire. There were like 6 bounty hunters, two of which were 2 human, a 1 droid. There are human armies that are incredibly villianous however.

And yeah, Chewie sticks with his friend Han, but he'll b**** and moan about Han's cowardly behaviour until he folds and does the right thing.

Thom Skywalker likes this.
  15. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I think Leia is allergic to wookiees :p

16. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    If that were true, she'd be sneezing throughout half the trilogy.

Lulu_Mars likes this.
  17. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Why that isn't the only allergic response of Humans. :p

Lulu_Mars likes this.
  18. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    She would get medicine if she has any sense, though.

19. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
  20. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Maybe some alien members of the Rebel Alliance couldn't tolerate a cold environment like Hoth, so they were diverted elsewhere during the time of ESB?

(Just a thought.)

DurararaFTW, Lulu_Mars and Iron_lord like this.
  21. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Darth Vader's Chest Plate Jedi Master star 2

Mar 18, 2013
    It's been interesting to see how people responded to this thread. I am under the belief that Lucas was possibly ignorant to this angle being viewed on the saga, as chronologically (created films) he's shown diversity of species from Ep VI, I, II and III.
    I think that Rebels starts to show other species were involved in the formation of the rebellion (lending from Ralph McQuarrie's concept art).

I think that if Lucas had added in differing species as pilots in the special editions it would have been great......that's not saying I want yet another edition of the sage to be released - although i suspect it will occur for the 9 film boxset in a few years time.

Thom Skywalker likes this.
  22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  23. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    As a human, I like seeing humans, it's part of my nature.

Except Yoda. I like Yoda.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.