"Specter of the Past," by Timothy Zahn [Bantam, 1997]

Discussion in 'Literature Review Forum' started by dp4m, Feb 7, 2003.

?

"Specter of the Past," by Timothy Zahn [Bantam, 1997]

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
10 (Excellent) 44 vote(s) 47.8%
9 17 vote(s) 18.5%
8 11 vote(s) 12.0%
7 12 vote(s) 13.0%
6 (Average) 2 vote(s) 2.2%
5 (Average) 3 vote(s) 3.3%
4 0 vote(s) 0.0%
3 0 vote(s) 0.0%
2 0 vote(s) 0.0%
1 (Poor) 3 vote(s) 3.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LukeSkiwalker Jedi Knight

star 2
    Zahn Wrote it it's awesome.
  2. Darth_Digital Jedi Master

star 4
    It wasn't bad.

I was partial to all the 'damage control' to past EU stories in relation to Zahn's story.

Mara Jade refusing to believe that the resurected Emperor was the real Emperor to begin with was a nice touch.

I'm glad that the suggestion of a Thrawn Clone was left more as a back ground gimic and instead used the whole Flim (Flim-flam Man) imposter scheme.

All in all, a nice book. New characters, a switch from Grand Admiral to Moff, and once again, a slight nod of the hat to Sean Connery as written in relation to one Gilad Pealleon.

Anyone else catch on to how much Admiral Pealleon is like Marcus Ramius from the Hunt for Red October?

All in all, a pleasant book.

I'd give it an 8.
  3. Koohii Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I had high hopes for this, based on the previous trilogy. While this novel created a good setup, the sequel is a great disappointment. I'm affraid this one suffers from "Guilt by association" in my mind.

Still, it's better than anything Kevin J Anderson ever wrote.
  4. Susimetsa Jedi Padawan

Great book, like all that Zahn has written. I truly hope they would make the episodes 7-9 from his Thrawn trilogy...

@Darth_Digital: Just to point out, it was Marko Ramius, not Marcus Ramius. Have to be careful with these things when you share a name with Sean Connery's character... :)

5. Sniper_Wolf Force Ghost

star 4
    Twas reading it before I lost my copy at school. Only 50 pages in, but I've listen to the audio book. I give it 3.5 out of 10. Too dry, and I had a feeling of "why do I care?" while reading it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.