main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Speculation] Coruscant in Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Jonipoon, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    So, many people are starting to speculate that some scenes in the newest trailer could potentially take place on Coruscant. Some might say this would be a "brave move" from Disney/Lucasfilm's side, but I'd say that this is just simply logical. Coruscant was already mentioned in ANH as referred to the Imperial Senate. It is where the Emperor resides, and a very likely location of people connected to the construction of the Death Star.

The first scene speculated to take place on Coruscant is this one. Now why do people think this?
    First of all it seems to be public transportation system. This implies that it could be a city planet with a huge population who needs a public transportation system. So why not Coruscant?

[​IMG]

The next scene is this one. It could be the Emperor kneeling, or Vader kneeling, or some other character kneeling before the Emperor or Vader. Any scene with the Emperor in it could possibly take place on Coruscant, since that's where he resides. I don't think the Emperor would travel to the Death Star.

[​IMG]

What do you think? Comment below!

whostheBossk and Darth Krayt like this.
  2. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I have no problem whatsoever with Coruscant appearing in Rogue One.

3. General grievance

General grievance Jedi Youngling

Apr 6, 2016
    Yeah i would like this to happen because it would make the prequels and original trilogy seem like one big galaxy

Robert Merrill and AshiusX like this.
  4. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    It really depends how many locations they can squeeze into the film's running time.

Thus far we have
    1. What appears to be the hidden Rebel base on Yavin IV
    2. Some kind of backwater planet with stormtroopers around
    3. Some Kind of tropical planet with palm trees
    4. Perhaps some planet resembling Iceland
    Does the "London subway" scene feature other civilians as background extras? If not it could take place either on the Death Star or a Star Destroyer.

5. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    I don't have a problem with coruscant appearing, but the locations and design in the images look more in line with Death Star imagery than coruscant. Though if we get a coruscant that looks more utilitarian and grim like in these shots, that'd work for me.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  6. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    [​IMG]

This image really raises the most "?" for me (but it's good to know I'm not the only one), but there are a couple of essential and helpful hints, IMHO.
    1. The doorframe ahead of the room is a typical Star Destroyer corridor frame as featured abundantly in ESB aboard the Executor. (it lacks the symmetry of Death Star corridor frames)
    2. The pedestal is almost identical to the one on which Vader's meditation pod rests in ESB
    3. The red illuminated elements also hint to the "air conditioning" units in Vader's room and the adjacent holo room aboard the Executor.
    These are clues that the we are probably aboard a Star Destroyer

On the other hand we have at least two reactors overhead which resemble those aboard the Death Star but now complemented with strange kinds of tubes.
    The presence of two Imperial Royal Guards could either suggest it's a room for Palpatine or such an important facilty that even the Samurai-helmeted security guards would be considered a risk.

Eventually and IMHO, it seems to suggest a key element of energy power because of the steam, the piping and the small Death Star reactors.

Let's just hope it's not a Star Trek transporter platform (and personally I hope it has nothing to do with Kyber crystals [face_sick])

7. Jonipoon

Apr 22, 2014
    I think the scenes on Yavin IV are gonna be pretty brief. It wouldn't surprise me if the shot of Jyn staring out that window is just after she got arrested on that backwater planet, and then being trasnported to Yavin IV to meet with Mon Mothma.

So, I'm sure Coruscant could be included in that list. And I Think I saw some civilians in that subway.

8. Rancor Keeper

Rancor Keeper Jedi Master star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    The transport system could be from anywhere. You don't need to be a planet-city to have one, any moderate sized city, star destroyer or base would need one. Hell, even the airport in the city where I live has it's own underground tram that looks a lot like this one.

Imagine the death star for example without a transport system. "FC-1701 you are being transferred to Red Squadron C7 on the other side of this base. You are due there in 9 days. Tardiness will not be tolerated so you better start running."

I would have no problem if Coruscant is a location in Rogue One, it has limitless possibilities.

TX-20 and Darth_Pevra like this.
  9. Jonipoon

Apr 22, 2014
    But the Death Star has elevators, as we see in ANH. Why would they have a subway? They could use horizontally elevators.

And, Star Destroyers having subways sounds a bit overkill. :p

10. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    The whole death star is an overkill IMO

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  11. Jonipoon

Apr 22, 2014
    Tell that to Kanji... I mean tell that to Starkiller.

B99 and Darth Smurf like this.
  12. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    There is no real difference between a "horizonal elevator" and a subway. A subway is nothing more than multiple cars linked together, while an elevator is a single one. If you are moving a significant amount of people in a certain place, then a whole train makes more sense than a single car.

13. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Jonipoon wrote

But the Death Star has elevators, as we see in ANH. Why would they have a subway? They could use horizontally Elevators.

IMHO, the habitable areas and all facilities not designed to create anti- and/or hypermatter to destroy planets are concentrated in the equatorial ring section of the Death Star which I'm confident also include large hangars to accomodate, refuel, repair etc. regular Star Destroyers.

Assuming the crews get of the ship for R & R you'd have incredible waiting lines in front of elevators. A circular railway (e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_Ringbahn) would be quite an asset. ;)

14. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    If this is true those guys from LEGO have a problem in calling back 756.342 LEGO Death Stars to refit them with a subway (not counted the 124.225 already destroyed by younglings). This would grow up to VW dimensions!
    [​IMG]

15. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Coruscant is my favorite planet.

Robert Merrill likes this.
  16. beedubaya

beedubaya Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 15, 2014
    I think the reaction to the Force Awakens shows that Disney does not need to completely write off everything from the prequels to please fans. Coruscant is actually one of the more liked aspects of the prequels and I think including it could be a hit. I would like to see it during the age of the Empire, as all we've seen is a few seconds at the end of the Return of the Jedi special edition.

17. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    I think we'll be seeing Coruscant, not least because at least one Senator seems to have been cast.

18. smallpaul

smallpaul Jedi Master star 3

Aug 15, 2001
    I think it's likely that the subway system is on the Death Star. Which would be cool if you ask me. Seriously, Can you imagine getting from one meeting to another on that thing? You'd have to have some kind of subway system.

19. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    I think it's the underground installation on the 'beach planet'.

20. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I must say - Coruscant scares me. This film looks like the OT (real, lived in, gritty etc) and Coruscant the way it is depicted in the PT is anything but... Maybe set at night might work? The senate is my least favourite location from any of the films, so I hope they avoid that at all costs.

Funnily enough - I like Coruscant at the end of Jedi.

21. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015

I think Coruscant shot/ lit with the kind of realism Edwards is going for could look absolutely amazing. In some shots in the PT, it looks great (see below), so I'm confident Edwards could do it justice.

[​IMG]

And while I agree that the Senate Rotunda isn't a great design, Johnson could get around that with a redesign. Perhaps Palpatine symbolically moved the Senate to a different location after his takeover in ROTS?

Whatever happens, I'd prepare for it. As the "Senator Jebel" casting seems pretty certain.

http://makingstarwars.net/2015/07/jonathan-aris-cast-in-star-wars-anthology-rogue-one/

[​IMG]

I think we're going to see a lot of Senators die in this film. All at once.

Darth Krayt, B99, 11-4D and 1 other person like this.
  22. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I don't think there is any need for Coruscant to be in this movie. Give me Alderaan!

Imagine Vader standing next to you in a subway car. ;)

23. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015

No need to imagine it.

[​IMG]

24. AshiusX

AshiusX Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 7, 2016
    Coruscant is supposed to be the capital of the Empire. So its serviceable that it would look pristine and clean. As the Empire would go to great lengths to make it capital look like an shining example of Imperial power. Having in it could provide a great juxtaposition of the aesthetics of the OT and PT. Something which we never properly had in a film.

25. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    I'd like to see Coruscant as interpreted by Edwards. Though a different Senate Rotunda, if possible. A new location.