main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Speculation] Darth Vader - Possible Spin-Off Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Rickleo123, May 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I might've said this already but I'm betting a Darth Vader movie would sorta be like Jaws or Friday the 13th in that most of the screen time is devoted to the other characters in the film and then Vader will pop up from time to time to take people out or say something menacing to his subordinates.

I just don't think a chatty Darth Vader would be a good Darth Vader so they'll limit his role.

2. Taylore

Taylore Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 14, 2017
    Personally, I don't want any films set closely after Revenge of the Sith, at least not right now. I don't want to deal more with the Jedi Purge or the Clone Wars or whatever. Films set closer to A New Hope or later, those appeal much more to me at the moment.

Otherwise, on the one hand it would be one of those 'printing money' things for Lucasfilm, because no character can headline a movie like Darth Vader. On the other hand, they seem to realize that this property--Star Wars--is something that can benefit from being managed carefully, and Vader is their biggest single character asset. I'd imagine that any possible anthology film centered around him would be even more carefully considered than the other films. He's best used sparingly outside the trilogies, I think.

I'm one of the few people in the galaxy who wasn't thrilled by *that scene* of Rogue One, because I didn't think that it fit with the rest of the film. Might as well just drop the pretense and make something about the red lightsaber cutting people down, through and through. If it does happen, I feel the same as I do about Boba Fett--keep the helmet on the whole time. It doesn't matter who is wearing the suit, because we don't need to see the actor underneath.

Final thought, I think that the Season 2 finale on Rebels might really be the only Darth Vader thing that I need to see in between the trilogies. So I'd be okay without a Vader anthology.

3. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    You don't want Dad Joke Vader?
    Admiral Piett grimacing at every line.

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  4. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    i was so against this but if it got the right script, like the obi movie i could see it because vader is still anakin somewhere in there just in rouge one you saw how annoyed he was that they killed people unesscairly he still thinks he's doing good, but i think that at a certain point he just hates the emperor and hates what he becomes but thinks its to late for him so if they could find a way to explore that i think we would have a winning film verses vader just crushing things.

5. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I'm still quite against it. A Vader spin-off would more or less be the worse form of a fan service and, potentially, could end up ruining his character. Rebels and Rogue One's "brief, but deadly" approach was perfect. No need to add anything to the Dark Times period.

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  6. Scapro Tyler

Scapro Tyler Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    I agree in principal that it would be the worst form of fan-service but given the tendency that Marvel has had of late of steering towards doing R rated movies, couldn't you see the potential of an R-rated Darth Vader movie?

7. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    As cool as it sounds I think a movie focusing on Darth Vader would very likely end up cheapening the character and ruining the remaining mystery around him.... and who would be the protagonist? Some things are best left to the imagination

8. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015

i go back and forth, but what all would he do is my biggest question I mean who wants to watch vader just killing people for a long period of time?

Scapro Tyler and Darth__Lobot like this.
  9. Scapro Tyler

Oct 17, 2015
    Yeah. As excited as the thought makes me I don't think it would really work in practice.

10. Rickleo123

Rickleo123 Jedi Knight star 3

May 20, 2016

The 10th time its been brought up in thread go read a solo Vader comic or read a book with him in it then come back about how you're scared of a movie with Vader doing nothing but "killing people for a long period of time"

BTW ever hear of a thing called an action movie? Usually a badass like John Wick spends the entire movie doing nothing but killing people for 80% of the run time. They seem to have a decent audience last time I checked but what do I know.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  11. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015
    those movies really don't do it of rme unless there is strong plot so

12. Rickleo123

May 20, 2016

If those sort movies dont do it for you then yes a Vader movie or action oriented anthology film probably wouldn't be marketed to you. And a strong plot is a given like I said read some Vader comics you might be surprised.

13. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Honestly, a movie just about Darth Vader is a terrible idea. Unlike Boba Fett, there's no room for any grey area. Fett just does whatever job he's being paid for; he could be pursuing someone inherently good (Han Solo), he could also be put in pursuit of someone whose bad. You can also surround him with various bounty hunters and supporting characters, allowing one of them to be the PoV while he's the central focus of the marketing and action. You can't do that with Vader, there's no room for grey there. He's at the stage in his life where he's all in with the Dark Side, and he's also working for the space equivalent of Nazi Germany, so even if you surround him with Imperials we're still ostensibly following terrible people, regardless of how sympathetically they're portrayed.

An important thing to keep in mind is this movie is, no matter what, going to be marketed at a four-quadrant family demographic. Disney/Lucasfilm releases one of these a year, there's really no room to experiment with the ratings. It's going to have to be PG-13, so a whole movie of Vader slaughtering people isn't going to work, either. John Wick is not being marketed at Disney parks. Someone also brought up a few pages back that movies like Hitman focus on antiheroes; that's also not going to be marketed at Magic Kingdom.

I also shouldn't have to mention that comics and movies are inherently different things, both artistically and financially, and the movies are reaching a far wider audience than the comics. How many people in the country were aware that Rogue One came out? Most, probably; they marketed the hell out of it. How many people are aware that a Darth Vader comic was/is being published? A fraction of a fraction. You can get away with more simply because it's going to reach less people, and certainly less five year olds. You can also delve into Vader's head in a comic in a way you can't with a movie, simply because of the differences present in the medium. In the film he's going to be characterized through his actions and words, and Vader isn't exactly a nice person, so you're left with an inherently unsympathetic and unrelatable lead character whose entire purpose on screen is to kill the real good guys. And this is part of a franchise that sells backpacks for third graders? It's not going to happen.

14. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015
    but showing something in a comic is a lot harder to translate on screen for example comics have thought bubbles that aren't on screen, I highly doubt we are gong to get a vader monologue about how he is feeling.

15. Scapro Tyler

Oct 17, 2015

I don't know if I agree fully.

Yes, they aren't marketing those types of movies at the Magic Kingdom but they market things like the X-Men heavily and Logan was rated R.

I think they might surprise us. That being said I agree we would have to be on a release schedule of more than one a year.

16. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    They're not marketing Logan, though. Anything involving the X-Men movies is done by 20th Century Fox, and they've started carving out a little R-rated niche for themselves instead of trying to directly compete with Marvel Studios' share of the market. But Marvel has also, over the course of the past several years, heavily cut back on their promotion and the overall prominence of the X-Men simply because 20th Century Fox has the film right, and their films don't align with Marvel's brand. Regardless, any decisions made regarding Deadpool or Logan, or any forthcoming R-rated Marvel films (Deadpool 2, X-Force, Venom) are made without the involvement of Disney/Marvel. These are not choices being made by Disney/Marvel in relation to their own brand. However, making and selling an R-rated Darth Vader film, or even a really intense PG-13 Vader film, would be completely down to them, and it's not consistent with what they've done in the past. I think the most intense we're going to see is something like Rogue One, and even that is mitigated by an overwhelming message of hope, optimism, heroism, and doing the right thing without thought of personal reward. None of those things would be found in a Vader film. It would be a movie about a bad guy doing bad things to good people, and I really can't see them getting behind that.

17. Rickleo123

May 20, 2016

huh? thought bubbles? have you never seen a comic book movie adaption on film? the plot, the concept, the characters are what is translated. I'm beginning to think you're just trolling me now.

18. Graphic

Graphic Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2012
    In my mind a Vader Spin-off Movie would be an easy one. But one where he is the main Villain again or one of the Villains, not the main protagnist.

Set in the Dark Times, 3 to 6 Years after Episode 3.
    Jason Isaacs' Grand Inquisitor is hunting down a Group of young Jedi, maybe some Padawans, led by Emma Thompson's elder Jedi Master.
    In the third Act, Vader joins him to kill Emma Thompson in a Final Duell and thats it.
    Just darkness and a bit of Jedi lore.

Cast:
    • Emma Thompson
    • Jason Isaacs
    • some young unknowns

19. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015
    that could be interesting but introducing it to main stream they think just Luke is the only jedi, I mean if something like would be awesome to watch on screen verses, like just Vader. i think that would translate very poorly.

20. Twain

Twain Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2014

Disagree.

A good script could easily deploy Vader's presence within Imperial politics for the majority of time while focusing on new anti-Imperial characters that serve the broader narrative.

Vader would of course dispatch of these good people at some point, but it doesn't have to be Freddy Kruger in the slightest. A Vader-based slasher film would be boring and cheapen the icon.

The trick is to tell a story that is meaningful to the character of Anakin Skywalker and Darth Vader while also contributing to the larger saga in some way. It could be done...

I think a Vader film would have to be centered around significant events -- the conflict within Vader between himself and the Emperor and something more grand like the search for an exiled Yoda.

Vasco_Rojo likes this.
  21. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    Um, guys? We already have six Darth Vader movies. They're called The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith, A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi. You may have heard of them.

22. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    You forgot Rogue one.
    I vote for Rogue two where he builds his Mustafar castle and hunts down some Jedis, Rebels and Ezras.

TheMoldyCrow likes this.
  23. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I was all in for a Vader film before Rogue One. Now, while I still want one, I am very wary of the story they would write. My reasoning is that RO established in canon a fairly brilliant aspect of Vader's "public" perception, even within the ranks of the Empire. He wasn't forced into public activity until Admiral Raddus and some lesser rebels dragged him to the front line. I am kinda in love with the idea of Vader summoning even high ranking Imperial operatives to his haunted house on Mustafar rather than he showing up at every Imperial finance meeting or ribbon cutting ceremony. Knowing that even directors spend their shuttle flight to Vader's castle worrying over whether all of the urban legends are true establishes him in a different light than we were previously used to seeing. And, any story where he is out and about, interacting with other characters needs to be handled impeccably from RO onward.

24. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    The reason why Vader was outside of public perception for so long is that he tended to be the guy sent in “last case scenario” and not leave any witnesses behind (paraphrasing Filoni).
    But it’s not like Vader sat on his ass (or bacta tub) doing nothing for 19 years until Rogue One. That doesn't even make sense, since he was the best weapon the Empire had until they devoted their efforts to the Death Star. And a Vader movie would almost necessarily involve Jedi, and it would very likely be done in a similar tone as his Jedi Purge storylines in Legends. Which were, still, some of the best stuff (if not the best) to come out of that time period from the Expended Universe.

I don’t think we need a Vader movie right now, but no doubt that will be in the cards for the future, as he has been consistently a character that never fails to sell. But ultimately, a good Vader movie would depend on the writer and the script, and not on the character itself.

25. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Netflix series. Vader: Killin' Jedi! :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.