main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Speculation] Darth Vader - Possible Spin-Off Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Rickleo123, May 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Death, taxes & a future Vader movie are the 3 certainties in this world.

2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I very seriously doubt it's ever going to happen. No doubt he'll appear in cameo roles in other films here and there but a film where he's the main character... nah. Now I think it's very possible he'll be the main villain in a film at some point.

TCF-1138 and Gigoran Monk like this.
  3. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    You just debunked my 3 certainties rule. It only lasted 30 mins [face_waiting]

4. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Where did I say Vader was the only character we've been overexposed to? I didn't. But he is the face of Star Wars, moreso than any other character in the franchise and has been overused to the point of insanity. But I get it, people don't like to be challenged, they want the familiar. Who wants new stuff when we can get an epic DARTH VADER movie.

I haven't seen Citizen Kane, but that wasn't the point either. I could have chosen any famous one-part movie.

5. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    What are the chances Vader has a RO-level appearance in the Obi-Wan movie? Two scenes on screen, a couple mentions...

6. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    I don't think we'll get a Darth Vader movie. There is no real story to tell that's not being covered right now. His journey between ROTS and ANH is being covered in the comics and has been in Rebels, between ANH and ESB we've had a whole comic series, and between ESB and ROTJ I can't see anything big happening with Vader. And with story being a big part of Lucasfilm, I don't see them going ahead with it. They're not going to make a Vader due to popularity. If that were the case he'd have had more screen time in Rogue One. And besides, the saga films are essentially Vader's story (at least 1-6 are).

7. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    We've never seen the story of basically broken newish crippled Sith Vader crying for his lost love becoming the imposing, cool and calculating villain we all cherish. Seems like a story-arc to me. Kinda like how Iron Man had to adjust to his new condition.

Even you yourself called it "epic".

Darth Downunder likes this.
  8. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    That's the story they're starting to tell in the new Darth Vader comic.

themoth likes this.
  9. CarboniteSolo

CarboniteSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 11, 2013
    I hope Vader is in the Obi-wan film and he reaches out to Obi-wan who is maybe on a ship, and he senses him and maybe says, "Master Obi-wan, is that you?" I'm sure this will cause problems for him and the company he is with. Vader will sure chase that ship down, after how he left Anakin to die on Mustafar. I would love to hear his anger toward his old master.

10. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Maybe? There are not a lot of "character scenes" in the new comic. In any case it doesn't preclude a Vader movie at all as long as the movie is showing different moments in time.

11. The One Above All

The One Above All Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 11, 2017
    I really hope the comics leave enough room for this kind of a movie to take place. I don't feel that Rogue One was enough to re-establish Vader's menace among cinematic audiences. We need something more substantial to properly overcome the years and years of parodies, spoofs and general mickey taking that the character has gone through. I know it's the nature of parody, but I'm tired of such a fascinating and rich character being treated like a joke. If I was in charge at Disney, this is the spin-off that would have went into planning as soon the rights were brought, not Han Solo.

12. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    My question is what will they do after the ST? I can see them rushing into another Star Wars trilogy for at least a decade. That doesn't mean they won't do movies with those characters but as one-offs as opposed to a new generational story.

So I think it's possible they will do a Vader movie or two.

13. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    They have a TON of stories they can tell. For one, a bounty hunter movie. For another, a movie set during the prequel era/The Clone Wars. Maybe before The Phantom Menace. Can do some Star Wars Story's after Episode IX as well, focusing on a new character after the conflict of the ST. Vader isn't a crutch they need to lean on. Rogue One showed Lucasfilm people will see a SW movie not centered around already established characters. Vader might've been a draw, but he was only in the film for about 5 minutes, if that. Star Wars isn't like Marvel where the characters make the movie big, where Iron Man will draw more money than Ant-Man or Doctor Strange. Star Wars is Star Wars, and the name itself guarantees an already hefty return in movies. Again, Rogue One was centered around new characters and it pulled in 500+ million domestically and over a billion worldwide. Not an easy feat, certainly one most Marvel movies can't do.

14. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014
    I can see a Vader movie before i can see a Yoda movie. Or *gag* a Jabba the Hutt movie.

One of the above has a reason to exist, we been imagining it since it in 1977 when Ben told Luke a certain someone was heavily involved in not only the destruction of the Jedi but in hunting the rest down for cryin' out loud!

The other two are either demystifying a, um, MYSTERIOUS character, or a totally unnecessary, cynical attempt to cash in on SW by using literally every interesting-looking side character you see.

You can see which one i am rooting for and which two i am seriously hoping turn out so be only so much static on the internet.

15. Rickleo123

Rickleo123 Jedi Knight star 3

May 20, 2016
    A Yoda movie is a TERRIBLE idea. I could see Disney greenlighting it though, I mean no one asked for Han Solo's backstory being explained and we got that.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  16. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Have you seen Episodes 1-6 :p

17. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    If they greenlight a Yoda film, I'm hoping it focuses on his early years. I think the Clone Wars have been covered enough, and I'm not sure what a Dagobah film could offer.

Vinylshadow likes this.
  18. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    With a Darth film, I wonder what story they have to tell.
    Not "He goes and fights Obi Wan" or whatever, but what would you have to say about the character?
    His origin, his motivation, have been thoroughly done.

Is it just him being a badass bad guy? Eh. Apart from also already being thoroughly done, it's not that deep a storyline.

The anxiety of being horribly mutilated under the armour, but falling in love with some Death Star construction manager? How does he tell her? Should he show her what's underneath?
    How to you react when the most terrifying person in the Galaxy is slipping you cute little love-notes and telling you that you're sweet? Is that workplace harrassment? Should she talk to HR?

(sorry)

19. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014

I can see a Han movie much more than a Yoda one. Who the heck really wants to see a 200 year old Yoda jumping around like a muppet on crack?

The character is dignified. Showing him young and stupid undermines him in the rest of the Saga, IMO. I could see him as a presence in another movie, though. Some other Jedi's story set 200 years before TESB.

20. themoth

Dec 5, 2015
    In films, I think Vader works better as a burst character like the Joker. He may not appear much, but when he does you hold onto your seat and pay attention. I'm hoping RO isn't the last we see the character in live action. The comics are giving fans their Vader fix and are covering important parts of his timeline. So I'd aim for cameo appearances in other Anthology films....like Han Solo and maybe a future Boba Fett/underworld film. That way it's not about telling key parts of Vader's story (because the comics and the films have basically already done that). It's about keeping the character alive as a threat in the CT timeline.

Vasco_Rojo likes this.
  21. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Ahem......me

B3 likes this.
  22. Rickleo123

May 20, 2016

You do realize the Joker has two movies ALL about him currently being made right?

23. themoth

Dec 5, 2015
    Yeah, but that doesn't change my preference. I love how the Joker was used in The Dark Knight.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  24. Rickleo123

May 20, 2016
  25. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    "Signs", as in, an unknown website claims to have a source. Which really means nothing.

TCF-1138 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.