main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Speculation] Darth Vader - Possible Spin-Off Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Rickleo123, May 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    At least it would be an original story which can't be said for Rogue.

Or even for TFA.

A regurgitated plot isn't an option for Vader the movie.

2. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    From what film was Rogue One's plot "regurgitated?"

3. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    It was just the ANH crawl with actors and again a sizeable part of the story was sending the Death Star plans from A to B.

4. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Actually, that was just the final moments of the third act, which only ended that way because of reasons not known before we saw the movie. The story itself was original and new; it was not a plot you could deduce from the ANH crawl. In fact, outside of really the final part where they transmit the plans, I couldn’t predict one thing that happened in the movie. I couldn’t even predict they all died, I thought at least two or three were going to survive.

But saying the story is unoriginal because we know how it ends is… well, one could say the same for a Vader-centric movie. He kills people and survives. How unoriginal! :p

Taylore, 11-4D, Dra--- and 1 other person like this.
  5. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    The story was about stealing the Death Star plans, I think that was even in the official synopsis. They built a bit of stuff on top of that story, true, but that doesn't turn it into an original concept. I'm starving for a SW movie which isn't somehow about a super-weapon and transporting whatever data from A to B.

But that wouldn't be the synopsis, merely something that happens during the story. The story itself would be about something else.

ezekiel22x likes this.
  6. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    But the interesting thing about Rogue One is that despite being tied to that text in the ANH crawl, it went in an original narrative direction for the entire first half of the film.

The first half of the film is not at all about acquiring the Death Star plans. It is about finding the lead Death Star scientist - Galen's father - and delivering him to the Rebellion. It is only in the second half that Rogue One is explicitly tethered to ANH.

7. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    The first half of the movie is exactly about aquiring the DS plans - we the audience know what it leads to even if the characters don't. But a movie isn't viewed from the POV of characters.

8. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    A number of people I saw the film with did not know, going in, that the film is about the team that steals the DS plans.

And how is RO viewed, if not through the lens of the characters? There is no crawl, and no narration, that indicates the film is about getting the DS plans. It is only halfway through that this becomes the objective. The first time the audience hears about the DS plans is from Galen's hologram. Before that point, the plans have nothing to do with that plot.

So no, the first half of the film is unequivocally not about getting the DS plans. It's about locating Jyn's father. That's a fact, not a matter of opinion.

Indeed, I think this is one of the main reasons some fans had an issue with the first half. They wanted the story to very quickly establish that it was about the plans, and get on with it. Instead, they got a story about the extraction/ assassination of a scientist.

And in that sense, RO injected originality into the story.

Unlearn what you have learned. And then just watch what you see on screen.

9. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I don't think I will. Rogue One is a movie that wasn't a pleasure to watch.

10. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Plot is only one aspect of what a film is about, and one of the worst ways to describe a film's meaning. It's like saying ANH is just about a Death Star being blown up. That gives you no sense of the themes, characters, or subtext.

Plot has been considered one of the least artistic aspects of storytelling since the early 20th century. I always find it amazing that genre fans seem to focus on it almost exclusively.

If we get a Darth Vader film, the plot will probably be very simple and one we've seen before: Vader hunts down Jedi who survived Order 66.

But if the story is any good, it will present interesting characters, themes, and subtext that will add much depth to the plot.

11. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Plot is important in genre movies, that's why. A copied plot can ruin an otherwise decent piece of entertainment because it can feel like going through the motions. Especially if the characters are rather flat.

I've seen some fanfilms about Vader hunting down Jedi and they usually clock in at around fifteen minutes. I'm not sure if the whole Jedi hunt theme is enough to fill a feature film.

Gesendet von meinem GT-P5210 mit Tapatalk

12. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    No, plot is not important. Genre fans perceive it's important because they haven't been taught to appreciate more interesting aspects of story, like character and subtext, and that's why characters end up poorly developed.

Plot is a simple and obvious thing for the average fan to identify in movies, and that's also why they focus on it almost exclusively. But when people can describe a whole film by saying "they're trying to steal plans," then that should be a sign that the approach is flawed and shallow.

PymParticles likes this.
  13. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    The plot can obviously work with the drama if used effectively, in terms of originality I'd say Rogue One was offering something original for SW there if not really for cinema as a whole.

Dramatically though I do think it stands alone pretty well as its effectively the story of the rebellion(and more specifically the two leads) coming together as a more selfless force overcoming disillusionment and cynical pragmatism.

In terms of a Vader centric film drama is really going to be the question isn't it? what story can you tell with him? progressively becoming more evil doesn't seem very interesting and redemption would surely go against the ROTJ climax. Personally I'd guess if he features prominently in a future anthology film its more likely to be as an antagonist although I could definitely see him being used to sell the film if the role is significant.

14. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Seems a bit condescending. If Genre fans perceive it that way, that's fine with me. Sometimes I consume different materials like Sandman, Lynch or philosophers like Hesse, but I appreciate it on a different level. For SW I like plots with some surprises. I liked how everyone died in Rouge but it wasn't enough imo.

ezekiel22x likes this.
  15. Dinofan Waterwar

Dinofan Waterwar Jedi Youngling

Jan 25, 2017

I know that Darth Vader was supposed to have about 20 minutes more of on screen time in Rogue One but Disney cut it form the film because it was too graphic. There's a video that talks about what scenes were supposed to go in it. So if they did do a solo Vader film then it would most likely be rated R.

16. djm008

djm008 Jedi Youngling

Jan 25, 2017
    Will we see something of these scenes on the blu Ray of Rogue One?

17. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    Is there any other source for what he's saying?

18. Dinofan Waterwar

Dinofan Waterwar Jedi Youngling

Jan 25, 2017

more youtube videos

19. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Not even remotely true.

20. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    We already have 6 movies dedicated to Vader/Anakin's story. Do we really need a spinoff movie, which is supposed not to be focused on the Skywalker family, to be about the main character of the saga?

21. Rickleo123

Rickleo123 Jedi Knight star 3

May 20, 2016
    Once again the 10th Vader hater to bring this useless argument into the thread and for the 10th time. No we didn't get 6 movies with Vader as the main character. We had ZERO movies about Vader himself. ANH had him in 15 min as a shadowy villian. ESB he was the antagonist and was used to tempt Luke Skywalker(the main character of the original saga) to the darkside like the devil. And in ROTJ we finally see him redeemed by his son. The prequels had Anakin as a child and we only saw him before he was Vader, never the suited monster who took over the Empire for 20 years. That half machine/half man who is the most popular character of the saga hands down has never really been explored with depth on the big screen.

We want a solo film about SUITED VADER. As the main character. Like the Vader comics or Rise of the Sith Novels. His arc into darkness and his struggle to accept his suited prison as his new condition. His evolving dynamic with the Emperor and his true rise as a Sith Lord alongside him.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  22. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    I guess thinking that making an anthology movie about the main character of the Skywalker saga make me a Vader hater now, every day is a school day. And like you pointed out it can easily be covered in the EU be it comics/books, hell there's even a game featuring Vader as the main character in development, I don't know why another movie would be necessary in that case. FWIW, I have the same problem with any movie about well known characters be it Obi-wan/Boba Fett/Han Solo.

11-4D likes this.
  23. Rickleo123

Rickleo123 Jedi Knight star 3

May 20, 2016

If you have a problem with any movie about well known characters like Obi/Fett/Vader/Solo than I'm sorry disney is probably not going to agree with you. Bottom line is these movies are 100+ million dollar risks for them. They're going to go for the low hanging fruit so we might as well accept that reality. A Vader movie is the biggest money maker they have, hands down.

24. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014
    They could print money with a Vader movie.

Darth_Pevra and Avnar like this.
  25. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I actually think the Vader film (if it is on the cards) and the Boba Fett film could be one-and-the-same!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.