main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Speculation] Darth Vader - Possible Spin-Off Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Rickleo123, May 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003

I get that I suppose. Although I would imagine it might be kind of difficult to have a film centering on the inner struggle of a character (see the recent previous pages for posts referencing this idea) if they are not the main character and/or the story isn't told from their point of view.

I get the idea about the V For Vendetta and Terminator examples and whatnot, where he would be more of a driving force for the plot than the primary main character in the first-person narrative of the story. But IMO that would be no more than the type of thing we've already seen in SW films he appears in. To each their own I guess, but if it would entail just more of that, then I personally wouldn't be interested...

2. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I just don't know what the heck Vader would be doing in his own movie. I feel like he'd be very one note. When he's not killing people he'd say a few menacing lines here and there and then stare at the camera for a while. All his interactions with other characters are going to amount to him saying threatening things and then walking off dramatically. He's not going to be buddy buddy with any other character. He might have a couple of humorous lines but he's not going to be yucking it up with the Empire. Having such a dour character as the star could be boring.

ladygrey45, DARTH_BELO and 11-4D like this.
  3. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Actually, The Regular Mustache, I do agree with that too.

That's mainly why I would totes be okay if we just didn't get a Darth Vader spinoff anyways. Cos even if they did try to make a Vader film focusing on an inner struggle-type story, ultimately it would still contain a lot of what you mentioned as well.

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  4. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  5. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    There's a lot of meat to the Vader/Palpatine twisted father/son relationship and how Vader relates to other imperials who view him as a strange outcast and fear and hate him. On the other hands the EU has shown him being friends with various soldiers (without it becoming all buddy cop). There's a lot of emotion to be had even if Vader doesn't outwardly shows it. Also, with Vader the mystery is key. You don't clearly see what he is feeling and that is part of the appeal. This worked so well in Empire ans RotJ, so why shouldn't it work in a movie about Vader? Kieron Gillen made us sympathise with Vader and he had it even harder because there was no JEJ in the comics, a filmmaker would have it even easier because voice carries so much emotion.

Gesendet von meinem GT-P5210 mit Tapatalk

La Calavera likes this.
  6. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    A Vader movie only sounds boring for those not interested in such movie. Same goes for any Anthology movie and complaints, whether it’s Kenobi in the desert, Boba Fett or heck, even Rogue One got its share of complaints just for existing by those who wanted Episode VIII and not some "boring" and "predictable" story about stealing the Death Star plans. ;)

Personally, I became excited for any Anthology movie project after seeing what they were able to do with Rogue One, with a premise that at first glance doesn't sound very interesting. Even if a few ideas sound unappealing to be (like a Kenobi movie) I would still be curious about it because I feel that if LFL/Disney decide to finance a project it's because someone pitched them an interesting story they thought it would be worth of telling. And judging by how the new canon has been handling Vader's character - Vader-centric stories have been constantly among my favorites of all the new canon stories - I feel that a Vader-centric movie would be very much worth to watch.

MrMojoRisin likes this.
  7. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    I couldn't have said it better. More Star War is what we craved for so many years. Now we have it and people complain.

8. Rickleo123

Rickleo123 Jedi Knight star 3

May 20, 2016
    Lets be honest, there is absolutely 0%%% chance we have seen the last of Vader on the silver screen. There is no way Disney is going to quietly put away the most iconic character of the entire franchise and arguably the most recognizable villain in all of cinema. It just won't happen. The real question remains, HOW they will use him?

Will he have another action cameo in Boba Fett movie? If Han Solo solo turns into a trilogy of films will he make an appearance there as a villain behind the curtain?

Personally I think after the unanimous positive reaction to Vader in R1 I think the time is NOW for a solo film. If they don't strike while the iron is hot then interest will fade. Worst than that Vader could make more appearances in other films and by then it will be overplayed once we've seen him 2-3 more times. Disney should scrap the Boba Fett movie and just move forward with Vader anthology, give Boba a minor role in Vader's movie that actually make him look cool and then use that to spring board him off to some bounty hunter adventures.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  9. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    yeah I think there is so much they could that is brand new like first stories of the jedi and obi wan and stuff vader is so iconic I would hate to see the ruined.

10. Twain

Twain Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2014
    The more I think about it, I love the idea of a Vader-based story set shortly after ROTS in which he unsuccessfully tries to locate the hidden Yoda.

Vader's mission from Palpatine is to find and destroy Yoda in exile -- and in order to do that, Vader must hunt down several of Jedi-on-the-run who know Yoda's location but refuse to divulge the information even though it costs them their lives. The story ends with Vader and Palpatine in some way believing Yoda is dead, when in fact the fallen Jedi have successfully protected his exiled location.

This setup would allow the creators multiple story-telling paths that enhance iconic characters and the broader saga.

We could see Vader adjusting to the suit and growing in the Dark Side. We could also see him learning how to manipulate the Imperial apparatus to his benefit while serving the Emperor.

We could be introduced to new Jedi that ultimately sacrifice themselves to protect the secret of Yoda's location. These new characters could help solve many of the Vader-centric narrative problems that have rightly been raised in this thread -- they would be interesting characters with noble ideals. Provide plenty of lightsaber duels against Vader too -- .duels that Vader wins.

We could get a chance to also focus a little more on the importance of Yoda, and it would contribute to what exactly he was doing between ROTS and ESB. We know the Empire was aware that he escaped alive, and this is a huge narrative loose end that could be tied up with an Anthology film because Palpatine would have doubtlessly spent enormous energy trying to find and destroy Yoda in exile.

This film would allow creators to essentially kill two marketing birds with one stone. Vader and Yoda -- print money.

And it would, like Rogue One, enrich the larger saga.

Darth Nave and Rickleo123 like this.
  11. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Seems like a massive downer if we get to like a group of Jedi and then they're all killed. Unless you make them as bland and empty as the characters of Rogue One. Would be tough to hit the right balance. It need not be as complicated. Vader can be a sorta good guy if the enemies are terrorists (fallen Jedi maybe driven mad by lust for revenge). People are used to seeing torture and murder from action heroes, so that wouldn't be a big issue. You could root for Vader without being conflicted about it.

12. Twain

Twain Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2014
    Disagree on your take about RO's bland characterizations. And the point of these new Jedi characters going into the film will be known beforehand anyway. The creators could minimize it down to one important never-before-seen Jedi and it could have a greater affect, I suppose. Their creative choice.

But Vader won't ever be portrayed in a film as a protagonist. There won't be a "good cop vs. terrorists" story from the story group or Disney.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  13. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Well, I'll guess we will just have to agree to disagree. I don't really want to see another movie with pre-drawn conclusions (all the Jedi die in heroic sacrifices and Vader doesn't find Yoda). And financially speaking Rogue One, while successful, couldn't quite fulfill the high expectations.

It seems more interesting to invent a scenario where we don't know everything that happens, like say if a newly created planet is threatened by terrorists. You don't know how much damage the terrorists will inflict and whether or not some of them escape at the end. If you get to know some of the populance that is threatened, that could create tension (think boat scene in the Dark Knight).

You may be right that the Mouse House won't allow for a fairly dark film but on the other hand movies like Deadpool have proven successful despite a hard R.

14. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    The characters in Rogue One were some of the least bland and empty across the SW series. We would be lucky to continue to get great characters like that.

Just because the characterization isn't heavy-handed and overly melodramatic, it doesn't follow that it's not there. There's a refreshing subtlety to Jyn's and Cassian's development that I find refreshing in a blockbuster. Most big films are constantly sign-posting "character moments!," which I often find an insult to the audience's intelligence, and I'm thrilled that Edwards avoided that and went with something more austere.

Taylore, La Calavera and Lulu Mars like this.
  15. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    If you think so. I thought they fulfilled all the clichés in the box.

16. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I agree in thinking R1 characters were really bland. I barely cared about them more than the redshirts Vader mowed down during his "badass" scene. As for a Vader solo movie, I think it'd be tough to pull off. Only way to I think is to take primary inspiration from the glimpse of Vader unmasked in the meditation chamber rather than the scene where he chokes out some underling and delivers a one-liner.

17. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Speaking of Red Shirts wouldn't everyone going up against Vader in a spinoff movie essentially be a Red Shirt? They're either going to die by Vader's hand or fail to stop him and disappear. I'm not sure I want to see another Star Wars movie where the entire cast dies.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  18. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    That's a challenge every Vader-writer in the past had to face. But this is a galaxy full of strange creatures and aliens as well as advanced technology. A creative mind can conceive real challenges for Vader. Kieron Gillen managed to do just that.

19. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    It was an excellent series but the challenge part was easy. It was Sidious challenging Vader.

20. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999
    The thing about a vader anthology though... wouldn't that be treading on the idea that the saga films focus on the skywalkers, while the anthologies are more about other characters (or new characters)?

Plus JEJ can't do the voice much longer, and as evidenced with Rebels and Rogue One he can't do it quite the same anymore.

21. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    A malleable statement by an executive that seems to have no significance, because they can always change their policies if appropriate.

22. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    No need for this, there's more than enough Vader material in this canon.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  23. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    The PT and OT was your Vader movie. Nothing more to add to his character and story.

24. Maybe a movie based on a group of Jedi escaping from the Empire and Vader could work
    Vader would not have to be the protagonist but if one of the main characters

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  25. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I think a "group of Jedi escaping from the Empire" movie would work better if Vader is only talked about for the first ninety minutes of the film (like some sort of bogeyman), before appearing towards the end. That way his appearance would be really hyped up, and we could have Vader in an action scene that would blow the ending of Rogue One out of the water.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.