main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Speculation] Force, Jedi, and lightsaber battles in Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Dameron, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    It seems likely that we will see a third-act appearance of Vader. He sells tickets; chronologically he has every right to be there; it links up thematically with both ROTS and ANH; it'll happen.

So. Aside from Vader, repeat ASIDE FROM VADER, have we heard anything definitive/official about Jedi or other Force users being present in Rogue One, or there being any content relating to the Force or its wielders?

When this era was populated basically by Obi-Wan and Yoda, and with either of them having a Rogue One encounter with Vader presenting serious story challenges, it seemed this was a forlorn hope. But now we have Ezra, Kanan, Ahsoka, Maul, and Inquisitors. You could do a "Last Stand of the Jedi" where the final survivors of the old order, minus Ben and Yoda, give their lives for the Death Star plans. Or you could have Ben/Yoda fight Maul or other dark-side forces (Starkiller?). Or even Vader vs. Maul, which would be awesome.

I have always thought Star Wars was much better when Force and non-Force plot threads could "talk," when the Force wasn't firewalled off by itself while we have "Tom Clancy's Star Wars" on display as a pure military/political thriller with no space magic. But at the same time, I don't want all plot logic sacrificed to create irrelevant Jedi battles if there is a compelling reason to make this as just a "muggles beat a wizard" side story.

Are there Jedi in Rogue One? Should there ever be a Star Wars installment without lightsaber battling? Does the franchise owe something to its non-Force-sensitives, a movie of their own to prove that "Jedi ain't all that?" If we get that movie, does it make it feel like we're watching the JV team?

natureboy76 likes this.
  2. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    No Jedi in Rogue 1. Already confirmed by the Director.

3. Dameron

Apr 8, 2014
    Well, crap.

Thanks for the info.

4. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    The idea that mere mortals have to deal with this without the help of Wizards or Superheroes is a good theme.

5. Jedi_Lantern

Jedi_Lantern Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 3, 2013
    I think it would be an immensely missed opportunity to not give Vader a few scenes. This was what Vader wanted; the rule of the Empire. We should be able to see what Vader is doing as Palpatine's apprentice.

6. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    I wonder what Vader's fighting style would look like in 2015 compared to 1983.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. zam wesell2005

zam wesell2005 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 23, 2015
    That Rebels episode is canon.

8. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015

Don't watch Rebels :p

I was talking live action wise. :)

Jedi Knight Fett and Dandelo like this.
  9. littlewaves

littlewaves Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2008
    Also people have to accept that while the storylines of Rebels are indeed Canon the action is (for obvious reasons!) very cartoonish.

So just as it isn't canon that people in Star Wars run like cartoon characters we can probably safely assume they don't duel like them either:D

whostheBossk and Deliveranze like this.
  10. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    I think without Jedi to fight, Vader will be relegated to a non-fighting role.

11. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I think that Vader will be the extent of the FS in this film, and that's fine. And he will mostly be in a command role. Like we see whoever the actual main villain of this film is talking to him as a hologram once or twice. Then he shows up near the end, Force Chokes some people for their failure, and then we set up for the opening of ANH.

12. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    But Donnie Yen is in it, so we'll get some good martial arts action.

Or he'll take out some of the main cast while the rest escape.

zam wesell2005 and Sarge like this.
  13. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    They said no Jedi, but they didn't say anything about Sith.

Dameron likes this.
  14. Dr_Cthulhu

Dr_Cthulhu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2015
    Vader vs. Donnie Yen? Yes, please!

15. BlueHenDave

BlueHenDave Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 21, 2013
    Outside of the duel with Kenobi, Vader did not have any action scenes in ANH( Guess you could say dogfight but really just sitting there). I don't need to see Vader go ninja style in Rogue One but really just play the part he had in ANH minus the saber battle. His presence is there....the spies being chased by the Empire with the thought of Vader appearing anytime as the backdrop. Perhaps a final battle of him taking on Rogue One group with one survivor getting away transmitting the plans to Leia. Show methodic powerful saber strokes and use of the force to defeat the group.

16. Elle-Wan

Elle-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 11, 2004
    As far as I'm concerned Maul should be thought of as officially dead. I enjoyed the retcon of him surviving in Clone Wars (probably the best arc of the series), but there's no doubt he was meant to be dead in TPM. No interest in seeing a live action version of Ezra or the 'rebels' crew, except for Ahsoka. That would be pretty badass. She could intervene and save the RO people from Vader and die in a fight with him (but successfully enable the rebels to get away with the plans). It'd be a heroic death for a good character, and give Vader the opportunity to have a meaningful fight against the only known Jedi that exists during that time other than Kenobi and Yoda.

...also, having been Anakin's own apprentice and then had another 10-15 years of experience, she would be very formidable herself.

whostheBossk and QueenSabe7 like this.
  17. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I'd be amazed if Ahsoka showed up on a big screen. Most of the general public wouldn't know who she was, and I don't see the necessary backstory of Ahsoka fitting into any reasonable expository scene.

18. Dameron

Apr 8, 2014

Just have Vader call her "my old padawan." Or fit in a super-cool "you served the Republic in the Clone Wars" ANH callback from Leia. Boom. Right there, that's more information that we get about tons of important background stuff in The Force Awakens.

19. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    If Donnie Yen really is one of the Jedi, that will be an epic moment... And seeing him fight Vader one-on-one will make my radar dish drop off in excitement!

Sent from MillenniumFalcon AI using Tapatalk

20. jc1138

jc1138 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 16, 2004

Actually, I think having films without Jedi could go a long way in preserving their mystique and, for lack of a better word, profundity. If Jedi other than Obi-Wan, Yoda, Kanan, or Ezra were to show up in Rogue 1, a film expressly not primarily about Jedi-in-hiding (at least as far as we know, it's about stealing the DS plans) then it could become more of a situation where Jedi really aren't that uncommon in the Empire. Also, the more we are presented with Jedi on film screens, with writers/directors striving to "show audiences something new" as to Force powers, the more we are in danger of the Force moving into Unleashed territories, though I would hope creators would exercise more restraint.

I would hope for many of the non-episodic SW films to not feature Jedi prominently, although I realize lightsabers and the Force are a huge Star Wars draw. Don't get me wrong, I love Jedi, but I'd love to see some of the other areas explored, as we were perhaps to have gotten in the abandoned TV show. If done well there are many ways to bring in spirituality and strive for the numinous quality that makes Star Wars films so spectacular. There's a chance the non-episodic films are going the non-Jedi-focused way, with the Han, Boba, and Rogue 1 films.

whostheBossk and Sarge like this.
  21. Dameron

Apr 8, 2014
    jc1138 There are definite dangers if you give the impression the Empire is lousy with Jedi. What I was hoping for is a Rogue 1 that serves as an "Alamo" where several of our loose Force users give their lives for the plans, thereby giving us lightsaber battles while allowing the "Ben and Yoda are it" of the OT to stand firm.

22. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    No Jedi, no Force Users besides Vader (and maybe Sheev in a cameo). "No Jedi" is one of the things that intrigues me the most about this film.

23. KitsterAKABobaFett

KitsterAKABobaFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 31, 2007
    It'd be cool to see Vader pilot a TIE again, in place of using the lightsaber. Maybe he engages the heroes in a dogfight. I also wouldn't mind an Ian McDiarmid cameo.

whostheBossk, Dameron and Sarge like this.
  24. jc1138

jc1138 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 16, 2004

I could dig it.

Dameron likes this.
  25. zam wesell2005

zam wesell2005 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 23, 2015
    If it was like Rebels or Vader Down, he alone would be dropping capital ships and squadron's of x-wings.

whostheBossk and jc1138 like this.