main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Speculation] Han Solo in Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Jonipoon, Jan 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sluice Friggins

Sluice Friggins Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 23, 2015
    Hopefully this is just fan speculation and not actually leaked by Lucasfilm, because this is the WORST idea EVER!! If this happens, it will mark the start of the Disneyfication in my book. The Solo standalone film is said to depict Han 10 years before ANH, and Rogue One pretty much has to happen right before ep 4. Like that week, probably. I mean, who thinks this is a good idea???? There are so many possible appearances that actually make sense: Vader, Palpatine, Biggs, Wedge, Porkins, Gen. Dodanna, Capt. Antilles, R2 and 3PO, the Organas, the Hutts, bounty hunters, Dantooine, Yavin 4, Alderaan, and many more. Please don't force Han Solo in this movie! This is the adventure that sets up his adventure.

2. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    ^I agree with you. A cameo by Bail Organa and Mon Mothma definitely makes 100 % more sense than a Han Solo cameo.

BUT... Star Wars is business now, more business than it was under George's rule. Han Solo is an instant cash cow for Disney, just like Boba Fett. That is why we'll get cameos by characters like Fett and Solo in Rogue One, instead of characters that makes sense like Bail and Mothma.

Cash Before Canon.

3. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    Star Wars is business since at least the 80s.
    But I think a Quinlan Vos like cameo could work.

[​IMG]

4. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Agreed. Star Wars was far less business-y under George's rule, and he rarely ever shoe-horned in fan favorite characters.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    Nobody can deny the fact that George made HUGE business out of Star Wars before, but its no way comparable to what Disney is doing to it now. The amount of merchandising for all kinds of stuff has been taken to the next level, and I'm comparing with how much stuff I saw in the stores back during the prequels. For crying out loud, they're even building a whole new theme-park about Star Wars. It's Disney we're talking about here. They made back their 4 bn dollars thanks to merchandising even before TFA was released. It has been estimated that Star Wars under George Lucas rule made about 30 bn dollars in merchandising between 1977-2012. How long has Disney been around here? Think for yourself and put two and two together.... Its easy, try it....

The only character in the prequels I felt being shoehorned into the script was Chewbacca. Kashyyyk was pure fan-service. Boba Fett's backstory about being an unaltered clone was very interesting and believeable. Anakin building C-3PO and R2-D2 being a droid serving Padmé is not strange, it simply makes both of them more loveable as characters - because they are also part of the Skywalker family and their legacy.

6. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Oh please, GL was all about the business. And as for shoe-horning in character, have you seen the PT and SE's? And you know what, good for him. He's been a darn good businessman over the years.

But please, enough with the "Disney is so much worse" nonsense, because it's just that, nonsense.

7. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    I think working Boba into the PT, making C-3PO Anakin's hobby project, and inserting Chewbacca into ROTS, were certainly driven by fan service. But whatever, it's not a huge deal. My question is: Which characters in the Disney Lucasfilm Star Wars universe do you feel have been "shoe-horned" in so far, purely for fan service, and why do you distinguish them from how Boba and 3PO were used in the PT? Especially when some of these films you are lamenting haven't even been released yet? I mean, who is to say that the Han Solo film, and the Boba Fett one, won't create thrilling backstories for those characters that will enhance our appreciation for them in the OT, much as you feel that was the case with Boba and 3PO?

It's this double standard, and pre-judgment, of the post-Lucas Lucasfilm that gets grating after a while. Let's try to be more fair in the future, and at least give the new Lucasfilm a chance to try (and possibly fail) before making such judgments.

8. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Han Solo could easily have been in RO. Picture him lounging in a cantina booth on the street of Jedha City, right after the brief run-in with Evazan and Baba. He says "Chewie here tells me you're looking for passage to the Alderaan system" and Jyn and Cassian just look at him for a few seconds until a stormtrooper says "Move along. Move along".

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Just reposting this to show how hilariously wrong fans can be (particularly those who accuse Disney of soulless cash-grabbing). The exact opposite of the very confidebt assertion above, happened.

whostheBossk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.