main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation: How Much Does Yoda Know?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by RKMeibalane, Jun 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RKMeibalane

RKMeibalane Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2002
    This is a question that has weighed heavily on the minds of many Star Wars fans. Many of us here on this board have long suspected that Yoda knows more than he lets on. But how much more does he know?

Consider the situation revolving around Palpatine. It is extremely likely that he is in fact Darth Sidous, the Dark Lord of the Sith. But does Yoda know this? One is reminded of the scene in Palpatine's office near the beginning of AOTC. Amidala protests when Palpatine suggests she be placed under the protection of the Jedi. She says, "Your exellency, I do not believe the..."

Palpatine finishes for her, "...the situation is that serious." As he says this, Yoda gives him a strange look, almost as if he's suspicious of Palpatine for some reason. Does Yoda know the truth? If so, why does he allow Palpatine to continue unopposed?

This brings other questions to mind. Is Yoda capable of seeing into the future? Does he already know of Anakin's destiny, of Luke's emergence? Is this why he decides to train Luke? Was he hoping that Luke could destroy Palpatine by himself, or did Yoda believe that Luke could inspire Anakin to destroy the Sith?

2. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    Yoda knows alot but it's all one-sided. He's only seeing half the picture and the other half is too dire for him to consider as being an option.

It's not at all likely that Palpatine is Sidious (at least not to the characters in the films). Obi-Wan mentions that he has a distrust of Palpatine, Anakin says that he likes and trusts him and I think they're the only other people to mention Chancellor Palpatine at all. I think Yoda has a clue hat whoever the Dark Lord is, they're in a position of great influence (hence the strength of the Dark Side clouding the Force) and Dooku's revelation that the Dark Lord controls the Senate in AotC prompts him to propose that the Senate be watched more closely.

Yoda does give Palpatine a strange look but I think it's a political thing. Jedi who get wrapped up in politics fall foul of it (Dooku, Qui-Gon) and I think the Jedi have developed a disrespect for politicians. That's what I think it is, Yoda showing a little bit of "What does he know" kinda attitude to Palpatine.

Is Yoda capable of seeing into the future?

Not at the end of AotC, not properly.
    The only flash he gets is is Qui-Gons voice which is happening in real time, not the future. A kind of flash-sideways, no forward.

Does he already know of Anakin's destiny, of Luke's emergence?

No, he says of Anakin in TPM "Clouded this boys future is."

Is this why he decides to train Luke?

Luke is the last hope to bring the Empire down by force and there's nobody else left to train him. I think the plan all along was for Yodas to train Luke but Obi-Wan was cut down before he could deliver him in person.

Was he hoping that Luke could destroy Palpatine by himself, or did Yoda believe that Luke could inspire Anakin to destroy the Sith?

I don't think Yoda knew how Luke was going to do it, just that he was going to do it. Obi-Wan certainly seemed to think Luke needed to kill Vader outright in RotJ:

Luke: but I can't kill my own father.
    Obi-Wan: Then the Emperor has already won.

And Yoda knows that the Emperor harbours some kind of mysterious power in RotJ, which IMO he knows to be the Dark Side:

Yoda: Do not underestimate the power of the Emperor.

3. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002
    Agreed. Yoda is alot smarter than the rest of the Jedi. So far, he hasn't been blatantly incorrect in his comments. I do believe he and Mace know alot more about this Syfo-Dias character than his been let on. (duh)

4. YodaJediMaster12

YodaJediMaster12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 26, 2002
    I harken Yoda's knowledge about Palpy's true intentions to the knowledge someone has while reading The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. As one reads the story, a kind of almost subconscious suspicion develops in the back of his mind as to the relationship between Jekyll and Hyde. However, this suspicion does not really jump to the forefront of one's thoughts until the final chapter is read and the fact that Jekyll and Hyde are one in the same is indubitably exposed. Likewise, I think that Yoda has vague suspicions about the relationship of Palpatine to the mysterious Sith Lord, moreso than the rest of the Jedi Order. However, I do not feel that he truly knows that Palpy and Sid are one in the same and that he will not find out until Palpy becomes the Emperor in Ep.3.

5. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    So you´re telling me that the whole world has spoiled me for the Jekyll&Hyde story? That´s nice.... ;)

I don´t think, either, that Yoda knows. In fact, GL says in the audio commentary(perhaps we shouldn´t bring ACs into the discussion. If you don´t want to know, STOP READING NOW! :)) that Yoda has suspicions about Palpatine, but he can´t put his finger on it. This is because the dark side is clouding his mind.

6. RKMeibalane

RKMeibalane Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2002
    A few weeks ago, someone mentioned the possibility that Palpatine is actually playing a game with Yoda. During the scene in his office, when he completes Padme's setence, it's almost as if he's dropping a hint as to who he really is, and he wants to see if Yoda can figure it out.

I think the problem the Jedi face in the PT is that they believe that the Sith are "out there," meaning that they are somewhere else scheming and plotting, when in fact, they are operating under the Jedi Order's nose.

I could easily see the following scene unfolding in Episode III:

Palpatine's identity is revealed. The Jedi are shocked and dismayed, because they realize they've been beaten, and they didn't even know it. However, in contrast to his peers, Yoda just nods, because he now knows why he was so suspicious of Palpatine. The Force had been trying to show him the truth, but he couldn't see it. Yoda then leaves the room, saddness etched all over his face.

7. DarthFx3

DarthFx3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 3, 2003
    I think yoda has a very good idea of what is going on, and I think palp knows it. but what can yoda do. kill the supreme chancelor, that will go over well. go on the holonet "hey i'm pretty shure the supreme chancelor is a sith lord." who would belive him. i don't think he knows what the siths ultimate goal is so he is trying to figure it out and stop it quitly, but can't. like with getting the clone army for the republic. he doesn't want to, he knows he is playing into the sith plan, but DS has manipulated everything so he has no choice. he just doesn't have the power to stop what he knows is comming.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.