main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Speculation] Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Han Burgundy, Jun 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Powerful Lord

Powerful Lord Jedi Knight star 1

May 10, 2015
    I know time doesn't run in the same way in the SW universe, just that some of the way events from the past were given, while keeping technology pretty much static, diminished some of the events in the main saga that were intented to be "major".

Not sure what you mean with "Technology probably wouldn't be synonymous with war in the new film". If you mean that a 100 year war existing could still exist with a universe that has the same technology as the main saga, i agree, but it also diminishes how big The Clone Wars and the rebels vs Empire wars seemed to be, considering they took place in a fraction of that time.

2. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    While 4000 years maybe a huge amount of time to have a plateau in technology, we have no idea how quickly technology could advance once it gets to such a high level that one can travel the stars in personal ships like we do the roads today in our cars.

We can see plateau's in technology on earth today. The jet engine, for example, has become more efficient but we still have boeing 747s traveling the sky at the same speed they did in the sixties and will continue to do so for god knows how many years into the future. The rocket engine is still our only way into space. Yes the materials are more advanced and they are cheaper and more reliable, but they don't get into space any quicker than they did in the sixties, we don't all go to the moon for vacations or anything like that.
    There is no replacement for the jet or rocket any time soon. Both first used this way in ww2 as weapons, and reaching their high point in the sixties with mach-2 passenger planes and the moon landings. So just twenty years to reach that point. Almost 50 years later and we have settled into a point just below these feats (for various reasons), and could well continue for another 50 or even 100 years or so if we don't blow ourselves up.
    So if in say 1000 years time someone developed the hyperdrive for real. It could be quite possible to reach the technologies highest potential quite quickly and then plateau for hundreds or thousands of years if there is no further big new technology. Who is to say that that isn't realistic?

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Wasn't the New Sith Wars a dark age for centuries in the old EU?

Whose to say that there wasn't a technological collapse at one point or other?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  4. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    After the Roman Empire collapsed, life went on in the new states, using the laws and infrastructure and knowledge the Romans had created, gradually losing it all as building and roads and aqueducts and so forth slowly fell apart.

A stagnation and slow disintegration, but still hanging onto the old knowledge. And then a thousand years later society managed to build itself up to the Roman level again.

The Lord Of The Rings scenario.
    You've got the high tech about, leftovers of a more technically proficient age. Slowly falling apart, nothing new being made. But it's there.

5. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Would be awesome but Disney won't do it.

6. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    If we are getting SW movies for the rest of time, why wouldn't we get this era of movies eventually?

7. Parparamia

Parparamia Jedi Master star 3

Sep 17, 2004
    KOTOR (conceived movie series) is the largest piece of the most perfect malleable money-making clay that has ever existed....especially since it is in the hands of Disney. One word comes to mind.....Limitless... As in opportunity with what could be done with the story. That is a chance to redefine the StarWars Universe with the origins of the Republic. Dare I say I feel the only one that can pull off such a masterpiece is none other than Peter Jackson....and to do the story right....they each have to be 2.5 hours long. ala lord of the rings. When i watched LOTR....i really felt like i got the WHOLE story..nothing left out...nothing i was worried about anyway. Star Wars Universe (SWU) needs that kind of strict continuity. ..sorry rambling..

SYNCHRONIC and Darth Formidious like this.
  8. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Legends made the Sith founder character from the TPM novel an Umbaran. I wonder if we could see Umbara in live action and if the darkness of Umbara could be connected to the Sith wearing black and embracing "the dark side".

9. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    Because it's original and different and not a rip-off of A New Hope. Disney doesn't do that.

10. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Yet.

11. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    True. But in the next 5 confirmed films, there is a pattern.

12. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Next 5 confirmed films?
    Rogue One, E8, Han Solo, E9, ?

We have a Saga trilogy going on right now. No way are they going to jump to KOTOR and start another Saga at this moment.
    If it was 5 movies after E9, you might have a point but right now? Too early imo.

I doubt that the Han Solo movie or E8 or E9 will be anything like ANH.

13. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    [quote="Force Smuggler, post: 53805522, member: 1373954"
    Next 5 confirmed films?
    Rogue One, E8, Han Solo, E9, ?[/quote]
    5th is Boba Fett.

14. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    5th is Boba Fett.[/quote]

When was that confirmed? Thought it was only rumor still.

15. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    It's certainly going to be intriguing as to just how Lucasfilm has envisaged the ST is going to end. Will it be all smiles again? Or will the whole thing be left in a state of total disarray and mystery following a huge twist in the narrative that hits in IX? Which will then create the wish from fans of the Sequel Trilogy for a fourth trilogy in the saga to discover what happens. I believe they are genuinely looking to follow on with X-XII in the future. With Rey being its central protoganist. We'll see in time though I guess :)

16. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016

The sequel trilogy wouldn't be a trilogy if it ended on a cliff hanger for epX. No, that story will finish in IX. X would start something new, returning characters possible of course.

17. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    I certainly wouldn't be adverse to an 'Old Republic' trilogy. But the elephant in that particular room for me personally is that I (still) generally dislike how the Jedi were portrayed in the Prequels.
    Set the story pre-Order times with the Jedi being perhaps more 'grey' in their morality. More individual, scattered, and far less dogmatic.

18. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Interweaving 10, 11, 12 with a KOTOR trillogy....

The obvious, often pointed out, weakness with the Story movies is that people are itching to see Rey again. They want the next chapter of the soap opera, but these movies seem like delaying tactics.
    So, give 'em two soap operas to obsess over. Another Rey/Luke/Anakin to follow, set in Ancient Times.

Jedi Merkurian and Revanfan1 like this.
  19. dlbates

dlbates Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    I think if done right it could be a great TV series. Hour long episodes with each season having a specific sub-plot and different timeline. With potentially thousands of years they could navigate to the high points of conflict. Since what will be canon isn't clear yet I can only speculate to give you an idea. The first season could be about the first darkside users rebelling against the Jedi, they could have a season about the unrest between the Sith and their first reveal against the Jedi, season about Exar Kuhn and Quel-Droma, A season about the hyperspace war with Revan leading the republic then a season after his fall then reunion with the Jedi, the battle between the Jedi and the Brotherhood of Darkness and the rise of Darth Bane. Again this is all EU material so I'm not sure what will stick so I just used these events to convey my idea.

Jedi Merkurian and WriterMan like this.
  20. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012

This.

While the idea of a Star Wars KOTOR movie series sounds great, it would work much better as a TV series. If we're talking about adapting the game, it'd never work as a film. It would probably take 5 seasons or more to get the whole show done to the level that it deserves. Even then, a West Wing-like series where each character is serving a larger purpose would probably also work really well with a Star Wars vibe.

dlbates likes this.
  21. Ed_Fett_77

Ed_Fett_77 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    If they ever make movies/trilogys about the old Republic /Sith Wars, it will be nothing like it's portrait in the old EU.
    And i don't think it would work as a TV Series , only if it's animated of course. Stories in these Era should be huge and epic like nothing we have seen before.

22. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016

It could be portrayed differently but I would expect fan favourite characters and events to be similar. There would be no point going to that era otherwise.

Not seen Game of Thrones then?

23. Ed_Fett_77

Ed_Fett_77 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    Why would it make no sense then? Disney erased the old EU for a reason, even if some Characters might be the same or similar the overall Story and look might be way different.
    The Era of tor is predestined for great spectacle and visuals, wich only the Big screen could do real justice.
    This is of course just my personal opinion.

24. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016

Dark Horse took Star Wars back thousands of years because it gave them free reign to tell big galaxy spanning stories without interfering with other Star Wars media. Disney already has free reign to tell big stories with their own new characters and old fan favourite characters in the "current day" period. There is no need for them to drop these characters and go back in time, just to create new characters and events and disappoint fans of the legends old republic era. The only reason to go into the old republic era is because there are fans that want to see legends old republic characters and their stories be retold in a new way.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.