main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Speculation] The Empire in Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by DaddlerTheDalek, Feb 5, 2016.

1. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    I think though that one of the most obvious ways for Disney to extend SW over multiple films is to have a series of replacement Tarkin like characters, a series of Admirals/Moffs(or maybe ones returning if they survive) that take up the role of the main villain in the wider Empire/Rebel conflict. Its the kind of role that does obviously give quality actors with gravitas like Ben Mendelsohn a chance to make a mark rather than always having everything in the thrall of whats come before.

What I would like to see is the return of the more "political" Empire we saw in ANH in terms of some disagreement with decisions and general sense of new more ambitious and order coming though. We got less of that in ESB and ROTJ because Vader and the Emperor became the main focus but I think if your having Imp officers as your badguys then that kind of situation potentially makes things much more interesting allowing them to stand out and generally for their to be more conflict.

2. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Wasn't it you Hija that suggested that might actually be a bit inline with Lucas's original idea for SW in the OT forum? Luke and co facing a different Grand Moff each film?

Again I think that's something I think Disney could play off of a lot without needing to be massively original. There is I think definitely potential in the gangster culture but by its nature you need to be constantly introducing new ideas there where as with repeated imp stories you can stick more to whats already established with the Empire and the Rebels and depend more on your casting and characters to introduce something new.

darklordoftech likes this.
  3. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
  4. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006

By his daughter?:tie: :D

5. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Correct. In each film, the Emperor would assign Vader to a different Grand Moff. Vader would be Luke's personal enemy while the Rebel Alliance would take down the Moffs. Of course, if this concept is applied to thi anthology films, the Vader part could be N/A.

6. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    is that who killed him in the legendsverse?

7. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    At they very least she succeeded him and served as a potent nemesis in the X-Wing books including Wraith Squadron if I remember correctly!
    And I'd love a movie where they revealed she hid a star destroyer upside down beneath the surface of Coruscant....

8. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013

That's a neat idea.

I'm surprised an old, rusted battle droid wasn't something that Lucas decided to add somewhere in the background with the 2011 SE release.

9. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Adywan added one to the Jawa sandcrawler.

10. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016

She would be an excellent villain on the big screen. Especially for Disney, the Cruella De Vil of the Star wars universe.

11. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I want the Empire to be a considerable threat in R1. Definitely more so than they've been portrayed in Rebels.

12. jc1138

jc1138 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 16, 2004

I really like this post. (Lost Stars a novel from the new canon, explores these questions as the central narrative, as I'm sure many are aware).

I can see that many in the Empire, including officers, stormtroopers, citizens, and so forth could and would believe in and support the Empire if the Empire's goals and missions were communicated to them just so (or, in other words, propaganda).

The trick, and what would be interesting to see if done well, is how to show the Empire being capital E evil and still being able to sell itself to it's vast infrastructure and citizens as good or "right."

(Much of these issues delves in to the state of interplanetary communication in the SW galaxy, which, despite many people who post seeming to assume MUCH, perhaps from the "holonet" days, we really do not know much about. We know that upper-tier political/military brass use hologram instantaneous communication (not recorded images like Leia sends to Obi-Wan) across the galaxy, but we do not know how available it is. We don't see the rebels using it in 4-6, for example, but we see the Jedi using it frequently in the PT (they inhabit a high-status, privileged position apart/above the galactic government), and senators and Sidious in the PT also (these characters all would have access to great resources). In the OT, we see DV and the Emperor using the holoimaging communication, and they are at the top of the food chain in the galaxy, and so forth).

GunganSlayer likes this.
  13. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    I want to see examples of what was talked about in the deleted Anchorhead scenes so that we, as the audience, might be able to put ourselves in the shoes of the ordinary Imperial citizen Joe Taxpayer:

BIGGS I feel for you, Luke, you're going
    to have to learn what seems to be
    important or what really is important.
    What good is all your uncle's work
    if it's taken over by the Empire?...
    You know they're starting to
    nationalize commerce in the central
    systems... it won't be long before
    your uncle is merely a tenant, slaving
    for the greater glory of the Empire.

14. Cantina Regular

Cantina Regular Jedi Knight star 3

May 24, 2016
    I want the Empire to be everywhere. Complete and total subjugation and control. I want to be afraid of them. I want the Rebels' cause to seem hopeless.

Darth Zitious, Sh3ppy, Avnar and 2 others like this.
  15. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015

Couldn't agree more. Rebels is an embarrassment to the Empire. I can't understand why they would degrade the Empire to such an extent. This is the most powerful military might the galaxy has ever witnessed. They subjugated so many worlds and awed many others with their majesty. Forged by the most powerful Sith lord and philosophical mastermind: Palpatine. The Empire should be portrayed with more dignity.

Rant over.

Dinos4Ever likes this.
  16. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016

I don't think the Empire watches Rebels, so can't get embarrassed by it.:p

Seriously though, Rebels is a children's cartoon. I enjoy it, but also like to think of it as a story of events being told in a certain child friendly way, and I just imagine how each episode could realistically have happened in a live action way, that then goes into my headcanon. I'm certain that rogue one will be much closer to my imagination of the empire than rebels is.

Darth Formidious likes this.
  17. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015

Exactly, my only conciliation is what you've described. It's narrated and produced for children and has very little effect on the movies. I watch it to keep up with canon but then every episode just goes into my mind to get scrapped. :D

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  18. Thane_Kyrell

Thane_Kyrell Jedi Knight star 1

May 16, 2016
    Lost Stars Characters! Stationed on Death Star and Devastator!

19. Thane_Kyrell

May 16, 2016
    Maybe we will see Agent Kalis(sp).

If Krennic is Intelligence he will be his boss!

20. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Depends on what branch Krennic is a part of. Kallus is ISB while Krennic is more likely Military Intelligence.

21. Thane_Kyrell

May 16, 2016
    Ah always thought Kallus was intelligence. Thank you for clearing that up.

22. Kashuula Korulanlaa

Kashuula Korulanlaa Jedi Master star 2

Jan 18, 2016
  23. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    What was that last post for?

Well the ISB is an intelligence agency so he is an intelligence agent. Seriously it's difficult to tell any difference between Military Intelligence agency and ISB, reading about both of them, they seem to do exactly the same jobs, and in old EU books, members of one were often mistakenly said to be from the other.

In canon at the moment very little is known about MI, just a few sentences from Luceno's Tarkin, but even this is confusing as it switches Legends MI Director Armand Isard and puts him instead in canon as head of COMPNOR which the ISB is a subsidiary of. It also switches Colonel Yularen out of ISB and into MI as a deputy director. So does this mean his white and black uniform in ANH is of MI now instead of ISB? Or do intelligence officers all wear that colour uniform no matter what agency they are from? In legends the director of MI was always the head of the ubiqtorate and their uniform was red, so is this not the case anymore in canon? Who knows? We'll just have to wait for more info.

24. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    They're definitely both intelligence agencies. I think the difference is that Military Intelligence would be dealing more with military secrets (such as top secret plans to their ultimate weapon) whereas ISB focuses more on the civilian side of things like loyalty to the Empire and the like.

25. Thane_Kyrell

May 16, 2016

Yeah in Aftermath the one Imperial Character talks about working for ISB and being a "Loyalty Officer." Everyone was terrified of him because he was one. If he visited you it was bad.

Also been wondering based on his rank plate what rank is Kallus?

Darth Chiznuk likes this.