main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo [Speculation] The inevitable thread: Who should play Han Solo in Anthology?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by DebonaireNerd, Jul 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015

Er, Han Solo and Luke Skywalker are my favorite characters in the saga. Oscar Isaac is my absolute favorite young actor in the business. And I thought Adam Driver was the best thing about TFA. So go stuff your misplaced insults and assumptions somewhere else.

I was referring to your broader point, and noted that I knew where you were coming from, and even agreed that there's something good "lost" in current sensibilities, which these older actors had (that masculine charm). I was simply noting that there is also something gained in current sensibilities, and that's a lesser tolerance for chauvinism.

That's an observation regarding the broader context of your comments, not a criticism of your sensibility.

And you must recognize the irony of accusing me of having my sensibilities offended, whilst being so prickly about having your own sensibilities offended by my comments.

2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Everyone play nice in here, please.

3. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    No don't worry about what people think! We are all entitled to our own opinions. I wouldn't call it whining, especially since there is a small band of us that are opposing this move for essentially the same reason. Yeah I knew Disney was going to milk the original trilogy for more profits, movies like Rogue One are perfect but movies based on previous characters just aren't appropriate. I think Disney should focus on moving forward with the trilogy rather than dwelling in the past- a brilliant past that should be left alone. :(

HanSolo29 likes this.
  4. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    So who's betting on a May 4 Han Solo casting announcement?

5. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Harrison's Han Solo had a beginning, a middle and an end. Pre TFA I was massively against the idea of a Han film, and it's still the one film I have some worries about.

However. Considering Harrison's Han got a meaningful death and no one other than Harrison will ever play Han from his ANH days through to his dying days on the big screen, I'm recalibrating to just accept that some stuff may have happened with the character pre ANH, and that it'll be interesting to see, even if I'm squinting and wishing it was a young Harrison there instead.

It's definitely the most risky thing Disney are doing, Though in a way they're taking a risk in an attempt to play it safe. I'm just hoping that there's a very good reason they've gone to that time period.

Ideally, the actor will nail the role, and define Han in a different way to Harrison (no Ingruber - an imitation ain't going to cut it. Ewan's Obi Wan was far better when not chanelling Guiness as much)

I'd like to think the casting of Alder will unite the fanbase; would that it were so simple.

6. IG_Matey_8

IG_Matey_8 Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 10, 2016
    I don't know who should play Han Solo but that guy in the YouTube videos doing the impersonation made me cringe so not him.

7. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Yep. A passable party trick impression does not an actor make. If they wanted a cameo, maybe.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  8. Chewies_bandolier

May 5, 2002
    I'm just a bit perplexed at how the guys' name still comes up when other, more established actors get discounted without the chorus of protest (or so it seems).

Anyway - Disney must know that they are playing with fire here - at least with the fans. The whole anthology films have the potential to do harm to the main product - the trilogy - so I hope/trust/pray that the productions will be in the very best of hands.

The casting of TFA and Rogue One give me hope that they are making the right decisions as far as the casting goes.

9. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Amen. When the Anthology films were first announced, I wrongly assumed that they would focus on other elements beyond the main film characters. Rogue One seems to be doing this for the most part, but then we're faced with Han Solo and it makes me shake my head in disbelief. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have more stories focused on Han...just not in the film medium, unless they focus on a time where Harrison can still portray him (which I doubt would happen). I would've been more than content to have novels, comics, video games, etc, explaining what happened to our favorite smuggler prior to ANH. At least then we would have avoided the bad blood that comes along with a recast.

10. IToldKanjiklub

IToldKanjiklub Jedi Youngling

Apr 14, 2016
    Which one of them? If you're talking about that Robin Williams impersonator, well he feels a bit forced, I agree. But that other guy did play a young Harrison Ford in another movie..i dont think he would be half bad actually.

[​IMG]

Baron_Papanerd and Avnar like this.
  11. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Ingruber was terrible in Age of Adaline, IMO. He impersonated Ford, and it showed. No way he could carry a whole film on his shoulders.

12. IToldKanjiklub

IToldKanjiklub Jedi Youngling

Apr 14, 2016
    No idea, problem with all the impersonators though..they cannot nail the smile naturally. It always looks forced

One Quarter Portion likes this.
  13. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  14. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    From most to least likely at this point IMO, it's:

Ehrenreich
    Someone who comes completely out of left field to nab the role
    Egerton

15. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    I hope we get somebody good, because impersonator only work for cameos.

16. Chewies_bandolier

May 5, 2002
    Glum George Lucas has a solution for our collective Han Solo casting woes..
    [​IMG]

17. DarthZ07

DarthZ07 Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 11, 2005
    [​IMG]

How about the guy who played Ham Salad?

Chewies_bandolier likes this.
  18. Chewies_bandolier

May 5, 2002
    ^ The dude does look a bit like Adam Driver.. good pick!

19. DarthZ07

DarthZ07 Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 11, 2005
    [​IMG]

Chewies_bandolier likes this.
  20. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    someone new please! I love how the TFA young cast was mostly undiscovered young talent, sure they've done small parts but nothing big so now they have there chance give it to someone new, also my question is how would the audience react to Han Solo having romantic interactions with someone who isn't Leia. A Han Solo origin movie will probably give me a little bit of firefly vibes.

21. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I don't care how good a performance the new Solo puts in - If he doesn't look like Han then I will not bother with the film! And don't anyone try to convince me otherwise - It's pointless :cool: Ewan worked as a younger Obi because he could eventually morph into the one we all know and love! These guys that are getting put forward look NOTHING like Han what-so-ever! And this film will be set 5-10 years before...yeah? Good lord...

Get Ingruber into serious acting classes NOW!

Baron_Papanerd, 11-4D and Lt. Hija like this.
  22. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    IMO, Ewan looks nothing like Alec, and that worked quite well.

And if you're a movie studio, you don't invest in a bad actor's classes and then hope he can carry a tent-pole film. That's just...not prudent, and not going to happen.

Attitude and acting ability is going to be key, just as it was with Chris Pine's Captain Kirk (who looks nothing like Shatner).

Give it a chance.

23. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    See I don't get that. I don't think Ingruber looks like a clone of a young Harrison Ford, like so many others seem to.

I look at the top three guys and each of them seem like they're passable in the looks field, again, none of them are clones of Ford circa 1977, but I don't expect that Ehrenreich is going to be walking on set with 5 days of beard and his curly hair either. Put a little movie magic on any of them and I don't see how it won't--at the very least--pass as looking like Han.

Look at Ewan, 30 year old Alec Guinness looks NOTHING like 30 year old Ewan. I would go as far as to say that there is less of a resemblance there than any of the three candidates for Han. Again, a little movie magic (and some good acting) and now I would say that the majority of people, yourself included, have no problem accepting him as Obi Wan.

24. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Big difference though - Time! The Han film is going to be set close to ANH. Obi in the prequels has decades to "transform" into "Old Ben"

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  25. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    The Han Solo film will be set ten years prior to ANH, according to Kasdan:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...star-wars-lawrence-kasdan-20151206-story.html

A lot can change in ten years.

But that's not the point. The point is that actors, including Harrison Ford, portray Han Solo. Just as they portray Hamlet. So they need not look identical, or even hugely similar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.