main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Speculation] The Senate and Senators in Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Jonipoon, Jul 28, 2015.

?

Would you like to see a Senate scene in Rogue One?

1. Yes, it would be awesome

77 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. Yes, but only if its very short

27 vote(s)
    20.5%
  3. No, but its OK if they talk about the Senate in other scenes

22 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. NO!! No references to the PT please!

6 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. raefinnpoe

raefinnpoe Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    'dissolved' im picturing acid vads.....

2. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Nvermind.

3. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    VADER
    "Leave that to me. Send a distress signal and inform the Senate all aboard were killed."

Ah, I forgot about this line. I guess there's no senate dissolving in Rogue One after all.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  4. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015

Yes, but it's possible Vader just didn't have up-to-date information, as we learn soon after this scene that the Senate had been dissolved (and some of the Empire's top brass were not at all aware of the Emperor's intentions along those lines). So Palpatine may have kept that plot to himself, and surprised even Vader. In that context, I don't think a Senate dissolution would be out of place in RO.

5. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    the senate is dissolved permanently by the emperor in ep 4. tarkin says it in the ds conference room scene. someone needs more sw. :cool:

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  6. Jolee Bindo

Jolee Bindo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2016
    Can't imagine a Senate scene fitting in very well with an intense, highly focused heist/war film.

Sarge likes this.
  7. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    ROTS might be my favorite SW film. I read the script and was disappointed that the scenes with Padme, Bail, and Mon were cut.

vncredleader and whostheBossk like this.
  8. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Can't agree more! I feel those scenes were pivotal but at least we have the bonus DVD. I feel as though the rebellion would have started a few years after ROTS.

9. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Wouldn't suit this movie. It's not about the big-picture events of the galaxy, unlike a Saga film. It's about the Rogue One crew & their mission.

Sarge likes this.
  10. Alhazred

Alhazred Jedi Padawan star 1

May 8, 2016
    The senate was largely ceremonial by that point.It would be nice to see what Bail Organa has been up to.

11. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Well there are Senators in the new trailer in the meeting and judging from what one of them says about the Empire having such power, I think they are divided over whether they can stop the Death Star. Thus why in the larger shot, some of those Senators have walked away from the table.

12. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    But that's at a Rebellion meeting about the Death Star. IMO scenes at the Imperial Senate would be very out of place with the more narrow focus of this movie.

13. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001

I agree. Thus why they shoved the Senate debate into a rebellion meeting.

Darth Downunder likes this.
  14. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    I agree with what's said above. It seems that many senators are in the scene where they discuss about the Death Star- there is no need for senate scenes since they would really serve no purpose.

15. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Yeah I'd worry about the Senate being used as a throwaway ANH reference: "sources tell us the emperor is preparing to dissolve the Senate!"

Don't expect anything substantive. I'd prefer a tight, focused story that isn't about the emperor's political maneuvers. And I hope there wouldn't be any senators dumb enough to be present at the rebel base, even if some are secretly supporting the rebellion.

Sarge likes this.
  16. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    There should be a Bernie Sanders cameo as a war hawk or a Sanders-like character.

17. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I'd love to see Bail sucking up to Palps, really pretending to be one of his sycophants but we all really know the opposite is true. It would reverberate back to ROTS and scenes he has with Padme, giving the earlier film a greater depth.

whostheBossk likes this.
  18. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    I don't see him fooling Palpatine.

vncredleader, whostheBossk and Sarge like this.
  19. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    HL&S wrote

Well there are Senators in the new trailer in the meeting and judging from what one of them says about the Empire having such power, I think they are divided over whether they can stop the Death Star. Thus why in the larger shot, some of those Senators have walked away from the table.

...while on Coruscant Palpatine has summoned the Senators for an urgent meeting, half of them don't show up and so he finally decides to dissolve the Imperial Senate. :p

20. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    I'm really looking forward to that War council scene.

dekaneas likes this.
  21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I hope there's a scene where Palpatine oversleeps and is terrified that he'll be late for the Senate meeting until he realizes that he is the Senate.

YES I KNOW PALPY'S NOT IN IT

dekaneas likes this.
  22. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Not the dream where he's standing in front of the Senate, mocking them and telling them that they are no longer required.... and then he realises he isn't wearing pants?

whostheBossk likes this.
  23. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    [​IMG]

Bail B. Baobab likes this.
  24. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014

If we ever do get to see the Senate dissolved, whether in a film, novel, comic or what, I think it's very likely that "palpatine dissolving the Senate" will become an ironic line, a euphemism.
    While Rogue One isn't the place for it, imagine a scene as Palpatine addresses the Senate, the senators find that all exits from the chamber are sealed, as Palpatine grandstands, taking delight in explaining exactly how he used them all for his rise to power, before leaving them to die

25. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    Messa would like a to see da greatest Senator of all, messa Jar Jar Binks would make the ultimate Rogue One cameo.

dekaneas and starocean90 like this.