main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Speculation] Will Rogue One have sequels/Have it's own franchise?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Thorin Oakenshield, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Thorin Oakenshield

Thorin Oakenshield Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 9, 2016
    If the new group is popular I assume they will. I have always liked the idea of a trilogy that runs paralel to the OT but focuses on the rebellion leadership. Rouge One pt 2 could focus on the rebels after The battle of Hoth. Where did the rebellion go?it could show them being pursued by the empire across the galaxy, Rouge One pt 3 could focus on the R1 crew pursuing an important imperial leader after the battle of Endor

2. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    It all depends on how well the new characters are received and how well the film does... They are saying it is a stand alone film - But who knows??

3. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    "Rogue Two" sounds pretty cool.

Jar-Jar Binks likes this.
  4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I really don't think so... these are Anthology / spin-offs for a reason, and LFL explained what that meant when they announced them. I think they'll find a way to totally wrap up the Rogue One story by the end of it. Of course, in this case, ANH continues the story after it anyway.

JediMatteus likes this.
  5. Thorin Oakenshield

Feb 9, 2016
    Yeah you are probably right. they will continue their story through comis and books. Shame i would like to see a Rouge One trilogy that runs parrell to the OT that follows the rebellion leadership because, I am probably badly mistaken here, but i think Felicty Jones may be playing Mon Mothma. Maybe it's the red hair....

6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Hmm, yeah... I doubt she's Mothma. Largely because she doesn't look like the actress that played Mothma in ROTS, who I thought did look like a younger version of the character we see in ROTJ.

7. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    She's way too young to be playing Mothma. Mothma was about her age during ROTS.

8. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Rouge is definitely popular with many women, if not number one I suppose, and I think there are many franchises that offer it:

[​IMG]

9. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    I think it will be most popular in France and other Francophone countries.

EHT and Dra--- like this.
  10. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    They all die at the end, so, no.

Revyl Ren and 11-4D like this.
  11. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    [​IMG]

12. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    TBH, I hope the standalone films stay just that. They should all be self-contained films, IMO.

AmySolo likes this.
  13. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    If the movie does well-enough, then I don't see any reason why Disney wouldn't at least consider it. Or at least, they'll find a way to use any survivors from the film in some capacity.

14. 357hermon

357hermon Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 6, 2016
    I really hope not. This sequel/spinoff trend is becoming ridiculous. I'm going to appreciate Rogue One but anything else tied to it would be almost exhausting. It's actually exhausting for me to know there will be more saga movies after 7,8 and 9. Someone has got to put the brakes on eventually before the entire universe loses it's charm.

MillenniumFalcon2015 likes this.
  15. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    It really depends on demand. If Rogue One is insanely successful, there's a good chance Lucasfilm will develop films that continue the story of the (surviving) characters.

If you bring in new, creative directors for each installment, and don't make the mistake of bringing in too many hacks, the GFFA's charm could increase. The only chink in this armor so far (at least for me) is Trevorrow, who I don't have a lot of faith in. But Johnson, Edwards and the Lord twins working on the Han Solo movie, give me hope for a lot of fresh takes on the GFFA that can sustain the franchise.

Now all we need is Cuaron, Weir, Spielberg, Scott and Nolan for the next five...

16. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I mean you don't have to make a true "sequel" to RO in order to use the survivors (if there end up being some) in the future. You just make another film with them in it, and it could very well be quite different overall.

17. ImpreciseStormtrooper

ImpreciseStormtrooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    Perhaps if they're popular their own backstories might be fodder for movies? And we can have two series. One moving backwards in time towards the PT and one moving forwards chronologically in the ST.

Then if we figure out how to have further spinoffs going sideways...

Erm. Perhaps this thought bubble is just brought to you by caffeine deficiency. :)

18. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    What would interest me is seeing society and cultures we haven't seen yet. I am hoping we'll get some character development with these folks especially as most of them will probably die by films' end. I've got all kinds of questions about Jiang Wen, Donnie Yen and Felicity Jones (whom I really hope has no connection to Luke or Rey.)

We'll see.

19. Too-Gon Onbourbon

Too-Gon Onbourbon Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    You didn't hear?

This is the first of a trilogy of superweapon plan stories...

Rogue One

The Sacrifice of the Bothans

Starkiller Recon (which will also tell the back story of BB8's portion of the map to the jedi temple)

20. Dr_Cthulhu

Dr_Cthulhu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2015
    Not likely, but the most popular characters might get their own movies or show up in others.

21. Storm_Cloud

Storm_Cloud Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 2016
    It might be difficult to capitalise on any success with a sequel as by the time this comes out and they assess how it went it could be four or five years before the next free anthology slot.

Also, how will they know whether Rogue One is a success without other similar films to compare it to? It may make 500m, but is that good or bad for a SW anthology film?

22. Star Searcher

Star Searcher Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 14, 2016
    I think the stand alone films will (hopefully) stand alone. They already have SW Rebels, I think bringing Rogue One in as well might overshadow the other Anthology films they have planned.

23. Thorin Oakenshield

Feb 9, 2016
    If the movie is popular with fans and makes more money than it cost to make/market it would be in contention for a sequel. Same story as Ant-Man really...

24. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    No, they are what they are called, stand alone stories. Kathleen has said they won't have sequels and are just one offs. They want to tell different stories with each one, with new (or old) characters. The sequels will generally be the Saga itself. They wouldn't want to hinder more stories and release dates for a sequel anthology film. And the story of Rogue One isn't really sequel worthy. It ends with the rebels getting the Death Star plans. The sequel/follow up will be A New Hope.

EHT likes this.
  25. Storm_Cloud

Storm_Cloud Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 2016
    It's not the same for two reasons:

They plan for one SW anthology film per year. They make a 3 or 4 Marvel films a year. They can't just throw Rogue Two into preproduction if they're full for the next 4 or 5 years.

ANY Star Wars film will make a profit. They could show 2 hours of Yoda eating beans and farting and it would be a top 5 grossing film of the year.