main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Speculation] Will Rogue One have sequels/Have it's own franchise?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Thorin Oakenshield, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Vic Sage

Vic Sage Jedi Padawan

May 1, 2014
    Here's my idea for Rouge II: Jyn and her new crew find and destroy The Emperor's cloning machines before RoTJ. Rouge III: Thrawn is assigned the mission to hunt down and kill these spies.

2. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Disney seems to be doing a good job with new and sequels for the marvel movies.

I do agree that it could reach a point where it becomes an issue if every anthology turns into a trilogy, but I don't think it would be for a very long time.

3. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    While I do think they could do it and it could work well, I currently leaning toward I hope they don't.

I don't really have a reason for thinking that, and I could change my mind, but I feel like too many things don't just stand on their own anymore and it gets annoying. ;)

4. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I don't think that they'll be full-on sequels. But I could see them using any survivors from RO in other films/projects, basically going on different types of missions. Yeah, the Mission Impossible comparison works pretty well I think.

Porkins2099 and Vic Sage like this.
  5. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015

I can dig it. Essentially a black ops trilogy.

nightangel likes this.
  6. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    After the success of Rogue One and Han Solo, Disney/LFL will not stick to the "one anthology film per year" schedule they mentioned at the start. These things evolve and money talks, so I do think successful SW Story films will get sequels/spin-offs/etc. If Marvel can crank out 4 movies each year about different super heroes, then the Star Wars universe can produce two compelling films each year easily. It's a big galaxy, and Disney/LFL have the clout to pull in top talent across the board, so why not. Plus, SW can do something that Marvel can't do as well. . .It can jump around in its timeline much better and cover vastly different eras and time-periods.

I'd like to see ROGUE TWO take place between ANH and ESB (Clearly Mothma is not on Hoth so you could have her in an undisclosed location giving Jyn orders for a secret mission with another smaller cell of Rebels...maybe bring in Akbar here), and then ROGUE THREE can take place during the Battle of Jakku with Jyn being instrumental in some way in the victory there (recast Wedge, feature Nien Nunb again, and even have voice cameos from Luke and R2 over com link during the battle...Hamill could pull that off!).

7. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    "rouge"... my head.

8. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I feel the same way. If Jyn and company make Disney a bazillion dollars it's hard to imagine that they wouldn't visit those characters again.

9. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    We'll have to use our harpoons and tow cables. It's our only chance.

10. Jabberwock2137

Jabberwock2137 Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 16, 2013
    For me the whole concept of having one-off, stand alone movies, interlaced or running parallel with the core series is a masterstroke. Beginning, middle and end... each film can explore the Star Wars universe in all it's glory and variety, without having to adhere to all the restictions which sagas entail. Characters can soar to any heights and yet still singe their wings and crash and burn. The freedom of artistic, cinematographic and imaginative expression is truely inspiring and I see the future success of the franchise lying in these throw away gems.
    So sequels ......Nope!

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  11. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I think an animated series continuing the story, should enough key characters survive, could be a possibility. If they got Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher to voice Luke and Leia it could even be a feature length cinema release, but the biggest problem is that the story already continues in ANH but not for any of the the R1 team who may have survived the mission, where do they go? How do you fit them in with the new continuity already starting to cover the post-ANH era.

12. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I think it depends on how Rogue One ends. If it ends right up to the part that Vader starts to chase the Tantive IV. Then probably not, as this leads into A New Hope.

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  13. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Easy. They've been doing it for nigh on 30 years in the EU. Same way we've two current animated series that only touch on what Luke and Leia are up to. They're different stories, one is the Skywalker story, the other can be the R1 story. The continuity of the two can overlap without contradicting.

14. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Lucasfilm could always canonize "Bothans" as simply meaning sentient beings from the planet Botha...Which would open up a Death Star 2-oriented story featuring a diverse group of "Bothans" - humans, aliens, etc.

15. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    I read an article online that Gareth Edwards was pondering about not including an opening crawl for Rogue One because of the fact the crawl's text will probably spawn ideas for another movie. But I doubt Disney would think that that's a BAD thing...

I look forward to Rogue Two: Escape from Yavin in 2021.

16. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    "The Bounty Hunter we ran into on Ord Mantell changed my mind"

The setting for Rogue Two could be between IV and V.

The rebels were chased form their base on Yavin IV and later founded a new base on Hoth.

17. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    If they really want to avoid the OT, Rogue Two could easily skip ahead 5 years to just after the Battle of Endor/Fall of Coruscant. Many, many sequels take place 5 or more years after the original, and the story of Jyn and a new team of spies could pick up during the era of the the formation of the New Republic/fall of the Empire/Battle of Jakku...

But I think there's interesting territory to explore between ANH and ESB...Three years time. Maybe bring Thrawn to the big screen as the big bad villain instead of Vader.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  18. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    When Rogue One was announced the first thing I thought was, I suppose they might do a Rogue Two and Rogue Three. Three being about the 'many Bothans spies who died' getting the second Darth Star plans.

19. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    I hope that they keep all of the "A Star Wars Story" films as one-offs. There's a lot of potential to mine in this galaxy. Why keep revisiting the same characters when there are so many facets, eras, and events still to be explored?

20. Sluice Friggins

Sluice Friggins Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 23, 2015
    Most of the crew will likely die, but if Jyn survives, there will be sequel(s).

21. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    Umm, Jyn isn't top secret in Rogue One. She's got plenty of screentime during the large rebel meetings, and she's even giving speeches to crowds in all sorts of places. People within the rebellion know who she is.

I just don't understand why it's so important for Jyn to survive Rogue One. Her character works best as an one-off story.

22. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Yup, I think that will indeed happen, but in a Star Wars Rebels context (i.e. animated sitcom) rather than a full-blown movie... And let us fans continue following Jyn and her various adventures (together with whoever survived the events of R1) battling the Empire, in a different direction from the regular Star Wars movies! =D=

23. Jonipoon

Apr 22, 2014
    Also, the thing about Jyn's character is that she does the mission because she wants to save her father. Even if she survives the film, I don't think it would fit her character to continue working for the rebellion in such a close manner. I think she'd prefer go back to working alone, or perhaps just settle down on some outer rim planet with Cassian and have babies.

24. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Maybe... I think a lot of the movie is going to be about her character making that shift from I'm here for my father to I'm here for the bigger picture.

25. Jonipoon

Apr 22, 2014
    Well, that's certainly a character arc I haven't seen before. "I'm here for the money" to "I'm here for the bigger picture" is Han Solo's arc.

So if they want to create a more unique character that isn't a female Han Solo, they should let her leave the rebellion after the mission is over (if she survives, that is).