main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Speeder bike chase in Return of the Jedi

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Hoaxer_Poker, Jul 19, 2013.

1. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I still love it. The sound, the speed, the editing...wonderful. I love the little spaces in the editing, like Luke somersaulting off the bike....quiet, saber ignites....

2. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    Definitely one of the best scenes. Has everything a great scene should have; great fast action, editing, sound and even the effects that still hold up really well. I'm surprised to see some saying that it's aged poorly and look dated; if there's one movie scene that used bluescreen for the effects and which definitely hasn't aged too well it's the first part of the fighter plane sequence in Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade (and that movie is even six years younger than ROTJ).

Sarge likes this.
  3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I need to watch this scene again sometime.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  4. Megavolt28

Megavolt28 Jedi Youngling

Aug 15, 2013
    Yeah that scene was so exciting to watch and to even think about it.

5. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    It's been a while since I've seen it, but I still remember it as being a great action scene. Lots of terrific shots.

6. Darth Scourge

Darth Scourge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 4, 2000
    Definitely still thrilling, exhilarating and mesmerizing. Masterful.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  7. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I've noticed an F-22 makes similar whooping kinds of sounds; I'm not sure why.
    I use to really like how I could play with the toy speeder bikes in the yard of pine trees because the trees to the toys were like the Endor trees.
    The speeder bike chase still holds up for me as well. The sound mix is awesome, I've always really liked Biker Scouts, and the path through the woods matches the turns and movements of the speeder bikes. I think now we're just use to seeing wider and more panoramic shots of such a scene, or with more obstacles and features that almost seem like they were grown just for the course like in the podrace. Whenever I see glitches and artifacts on films, my mind kind of ignores it. I guess it comes from watching movies in the past where if we saw something that might have been a glitch, there was no reason to expect it to get "fixed" because that didn't happen, and could get wrapped up in the excitement and drama, and now nostalgia.

8. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    Perhaps some of the shots are a bit static, but it's still a really nice and smartly simple chase with my favorite star wars vehicle design of all time.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  9. Bad Cane

Bad Cane Jedi Master

Aug 16, 2013
    I've always loved the speeder bike chase. I thought the sense of speed, whizzing in and out of the trees was great.

SateleNovelist11 and FRAGWAGON like this.
  10. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Hmmm. Must add this to my list of reasons why ROTJ isn't as bad as I think it is...

Aegon Starcaster likes this.
  11. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    The Speeder Bike Chase is one of my favorite parts in ROTJ. It holds up pretty well today, the sense of speed and action is great here.

Saga Explorer likes this.
  12. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Great scene. One of my favourites and I love the design of the scout trooper. My favourite bit has always been where the speeder bike turns around and tries to run Luke down before he cuts off the front of the bike. But one of the things that bugged me is surely they went for miles and miles, it would have taken Luke ages to get back to Han and the rest of the team.

13. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I still enjoy it, but feel a bit of pang each time I watch it as it's as close I'll ever get to see the Devil Sticks chase from Logan's Run on the big screen (which I've heard was inspiration for this but who knows?)

14. Messi

Messi Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2015

I just love it! After so many years the chasing scenes still works very well, I just love the effects and the sounds.

Force Smuggler, Sarge and Iron_lord like this.
  15. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I don't know, I just find the chase really... unnecessary and dull. Maybe it's just me but I don't like the chase at all. I like the bit where Han steps on a twig and alerts the scouts, instead of just , you know, shooting them like he ended up doing anyway. Cracks me up every time.

Iron_lord likes this.
  16. Jangounchained1990

Jangounchained1990 Jedi Knight star 2

May 31, 2015
    One of the greatest seen from ROTJ. Because of it I always wanted a speedbike toy as a kid.

17. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Clips from the speeder bike chase were the first things I ever saw from Jedi. They were featured here in the UK in a preview on the "entertainment USA" TV show. I thought it looked fantastic from the off, still one of my favourites now.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  18. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Great scene. It's great because we get to see one of Luke and Leia's skills with an incredibly fast and dangerous vehicle. And, yeah, Luke taking out his lightsaber to finish off that trooper with his Jedi skills was amazing.

19. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    That sound is also largely the appeal of Formula One racing.

I love the scene too. It was a big favourite of mine.

Nowadays the effects sometimes don't quite hold up, but that's okay. Awesome for its time.

20. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I just watched Return of the Jedi again the other day. The speed bike chase definitely holds up well, and it's a lot of fun. There are a couple of shots here and there that are a bit dodgy, but nothing that's so jarring it takes you out of the experience, and considering it's a 32 year-old film I'm really not going to make a big fuss out of it.

21. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    The speeder bike chase truly is a great scene, and it did inspire some great fun in video games. The Star Wars trilogy arcade game replicated the chase beautifully.

Even after all the changes graphics and with the introduction of CGI, this is still some of the best film work in the entire Saga by far.