main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Spice

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by mcgo, Jul 3, 2014.

1. mcgo

mcgo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 22, 2013
    I checked and didn't see a thread on this, and I've been wondering about this.

Han Solo smuggled spice for Jabba. Luke was told that his father was a navigator on a spice freighter.
    Wookieepedia basically says spice is the GFFA category of mind-altering drugs.

Smuggling spice is presented as an unsavory and underworld thing that Han did for a living, while Luke shrugs it off about his father like "Dad drove a McDonald's truck for a living."

So what is the story on spice?

2. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    What are you searching for exactly? What is spice? Or what is the story behind the spice in the OT? (Sort of preliminary info in the below, though).

Besides that...Luke could have avoided thinking too much about his father being a 'bad' person/spice smuggler because he didn't know him. He could have wanted to preserve his father's memory.
    The other option (which I personally believe) is that it's a freighter versus a smuggling ship. According to Legends, not all spice is bad. Some was allowed by the Republic/Empire, some was used for medicinal purposes.
    The Hutts also were big on spice and such. So it's entirely possible that Tatooine residents just don't see it as a big deal if someone does that work, just because of the amount of people involved in the trade.

Just some perspectives I see.

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the novel, Luke says

"But my father didn't fight in the Clone Wars. He was no knight - just a navigator on a space freighter."

4. mcgo

mcgo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 22, 2013
    It is "spice" freighter in the movie though, yes? Or have I been hearing it wrong for 37 years? *embarrassed*

I've never really had a feel for what Lucas was trying to get at with connecting "spice" with two different characters (and then the spice mines of Kessel as well), one of whom was the good-guy cover story for Luke's parentage, and one who was a drug smuggler. I was wondering if it was just kind of the way things were on Tatooine -- that being an outlaw on some level was the norm. (Which makes Tatooine what, the opium-poppy growing Afghanistan of the GFFA?)

It just seems like there's a lot of references to spice and it never really adds up to anything other than...a lot of references to spice.

5. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It does come up as "spice" when I look up the script.

Threepio mentions that if he and Artoo are caught by the Empire they'll be "sent to the Spice Mines of Kessel or smashed into who knows what"

Suggesting that the Empire actually controls the mines.

6. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Maybe someone had been reading Dune and accidentally said 'spice' instead of 'space'.

Iron_lord likes this.
  7. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I suppose either

1. "Spice" is a natural thing that is ABLE to be used as a mind-altering drug, but not intended to

2. It's a general term for drugs. Any kind of drugs. Like if I told my friend "Hang on, I need to take my drugs" they'll be all like "Holy **** you're on drugs?!" then I could reply with "I meant headache pills" or something

8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    As Jabba would say: "He who controls the glitterstim controls the universe." ;)

9. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    Hmmm. So they could just be mining Aspirin on Kessel [face_thinking]

10. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Of course, the funny thing is, Luke's father was a navigator on a spice freighter during the Clone Wars.

[​IMG]

11. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I thought he was doing the piloting and Artoo the navigating? ;)

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  12. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  13. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    You know, it must be impossible for a Tatooine person to say Space and have someone not hear Spice. "I said space, not spice!"

Sarge, mes520 and Iron_lord like this.
  14. Wookiee_Vader

Wookiee_Vader Jedi Master star 2

Aug 21, 2007
    I think he was just delivering paprika to the Core...

15. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    It was also mined on the moons of Naboo so I get the impression there is a legit trade of spice but also an underworld black market.

Besides, even legal product still have people smuggling them. If you don't believe me, just try going to Canada with 250 cartons of cigarettes.

16. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Judging by the "R2 Come Home" episode, I wouldn't be surprised if Artoo was also the one really piloting every time we see Anakin "flying" starships. Anakin just likes to take credit for all of Artoo's hard work.

Iron_lord likes this.
  17. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

That makes sense.

The reason why the spice miners are "disgruntled" could be pay and conditions or that Padmé was backing a movement to shut them down because, although legal, it is dangerous (like cigerettes)

18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    One of the first newcanon books: Star Wars Rebels: The Visual Guide, has this to say:

p102-103

The royal family on Kessel allows the harvesting of spice on one hemisphere of their world. They turn a blind eye to the brutal working conditions and the transformation of the medicinal spice mineral into a dangerous drug.

Spice mining is incredibly dangerous, so the Empire uses slave labor. Prisoners are sent to Kessel in order to make them disappear permanently. Many Wookiees have spent their final days digging in the mines.

On Kessel, spice mining is on an industrial scale. Deep pits, mine shafts and refineries cover the surface. Several other systems around the galaxy support spice mining too, including Ryloth and Naboo. The Pyke Syndicate is one of the largest dealers in illegal spice.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  19. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Basically how you get high in the star wars universe.

20. RobbaFett

RobbaFett Jedi Youngling

Feb 7, 2015
    Emporer hates curry so much that all spice is illegal. There's just no other explaination.

Iron_lord likes this.
  21. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Makes sense that Owen would try to villainize Anakin in Luke eyes by telling him a was nothing but a measly spice smuggler.

22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    And not even a shipowner at that - just "Navigator on a Spice freighter"

I suppose it could have meant "legal spice transport" rather than "illegal smuggling" since we know that the Republic had lots of spice to hand over to Hondo when he demanded a ransom for Dooku.

23. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012

Wow, glitterstim sounds like something out of Logan's Run. That's great. Thanks for posting. (Not that I want any) :D

thejeditraitor and Iron_lord like this.
  24. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Could be analogous to cigarettes, or alcohol, or even drugs with (possible?) medicinal purposes like opium or cannabis. Perfectly legal for certain people to buy and sell them, illegal for others, depending on if you greased the right palms and have the right licences. Luke was under the impression his dad was legit, and basically a courier. Han is a smuggler and knows it.

Iron_lord likes this.
  25. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    That's the way it's described in Star Wars Rebels: The Visual Guide - as a mineral, with medicinal properties, that can however be converted into a powerful drug.