main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Spider-Man 3 Discussion Thread - Spoilers

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Jan 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    She can be boring after a while.

"Uggh, another Aunt May lecture scene. Wake me up in 5 minutes."

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    May is Peter's moral compass, carrying on where Ben would've had he lived. Always has been and always will be. Without her, Peter would be lost in what he should do.

3. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    I've still only seen it once as well. I really want to go see it at least once more, but I haven't had the time recently. Hopefully I'll find the time soon. :)

4. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    I just can't justify paying for it again. I want to support the franchise. But it honest to god broke my heart to watch it.

5. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Yeah, Aunt May's role seemed to be one of the only redeeming parts of the film. I don't have any real interest in seeing the fourth film after the third, unless they seriously write a better script this time around.

6. Darth_Laudrup

Darth_Laudrup Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2004
    I hated this movie.

It was one of the most messed-up and awful movies I have ever seen.

The fight scenes were a mess.

Having Sandman be the true killer of uncle ben was just stupid and unneccesary.

Why does everyone have to cry all the time?

With Peter and MJ constantly getting together and breaking up, it felt like an episode of Dawsons Creek.

Why does Spider-mans mask have to get torn all the time?

What's up with Sandman turning into a giant Sandman?

How stupid was the scene were Sandman gets his powers?

Why do we constantly have to see that picture of his daughter? (yes I know it's supposed to show us that he misses her, but we get that the first time).

The crane scene was rather strange... A large crane threatens to destroy a large part of a building and kill dozens of people, and Spider-man takes his time to stop and talk to a repporter after saving just one person. The crane is still destroying and killing but Spidey just talks to the repporter and then swings away.

What kind of a sadist is Harry's butler? He obviously knew right from Spider-man 1 that Spider-man did not kill Norman Osborn, but he decided to just keep quiet until Harry has completely destroyed his own life. Btw. does that butler work for CSI or how can he tell that the wounds were caused by the glider and that Spider-man didn't just simply stab Norman with the glider?

Why does every criminal have to regret their evil deeds in the end? That's just lame.

I also find it a bit curious that people just stand around cheering at the enb when an entire building is about to collapse on them.

And finally... did anyone else find it lame that we had to get the SUPER PALS SPIDER-MAN AND YOUNG GOBLIN to join forces at the end.

7. WolverineOfTheORS

WolverineOfTheORS Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 11, 2006
    [face_laugh] =D=

8. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    I saw this twice at the theater. Quite against my own intentions, I assure you. I'd seen it with my college friends, and then my fiancée wanted to go see it as well.

Believe it or not, it wasn't as bad the second time around. Maybe this was a matter of expectations and of realizing what I was going to be getting. But it was a better, more interesting, less disastrously bad movie the second time. It even seemed less cringeworthy, though there were still plenty of cringeworthy moments. But it mostly improved on a second viewing; the stuff that was funny stayed funny, but the stuff that was just bad kind of faded and receded.

It may have helped that I was with a sympathetic audience. My fiancée really liked the movie; it was definitely her favorite of the three. Why? "It was like a chick flick," she told me. A chick flick with action sequences -- yeah, that's basically it.

-Paul

9. Darth_Laudrup

Darth_Laudrup Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2004
    almost forgot about Sandmans origin.

That machine was propably the most poorly guarded super science experiment I've ever seen in any movie. Any drunken teenager could have stumbled into that hole and ended up a super villain. They didn't even stop the experiment when they found out something was in the machine. "That's propably just a bird, continue the experiment" 8-} :oops: I'd hate to be the janitor at that place. And they didn't even seal the place of to prevent it from such things as rain, dirt, dead birds etc.

10. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    Spider-Man 4 confirmed?

Glad to hear Sony is dedicated to making another movie. But please no Sinister Six. It'd be take a miracle to make that work in a movie(unless they stretched out over 3+ hours).

11. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    I really, really wanted to go see this a second time, but I haven't made it to the movies in awhile, and now it's gone in all the theaters that are close to me. :( Oh well, it shouldn't be too long until the DVD. :)

12. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Not to mention, they've killed both Goblins, and Octavious is more than likely dead. I don't know why they think cramming 6 new villains in another film, when cramming 3 in obviously didn't.

13. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Electro and Vulture? Mmmmm, I don't know about that.

14. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 13, 2004
    No! It should be the Kraven's last hunt storyline.

15. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    Raimi, Maguire and Dunst should be replaced for Spider-Man 4 and fresh bloody brought in I'm now tired of Maguire as Spider-Man I want someone who can deliver funny lines and who enjoys being Spider-Man so it's time to move on.

16. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I still think Topher Grace would've made a good Spider-Man if they hadn't used him for Venom.

17. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    I've thought he'd be a good Spider-Man since That 70's Show got popular.

18. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    DVD's coming out 10/30.

Details from DVD Active

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has announced single ($28.97) and double-disc ($36.95) editions of Spider-Man 3 which stars Tobey Maguire. Each will be available to own from the 30th October. The film will be presented in anamorphic widescreen, along with an English Dolby Digital 5. Surround track. Extras on the single-disc will include a commentary with Director Sam Raimi and Cast Members Tobey Maguire, Kirsten Dunst, James Franco, Thomas Haden Church, Topher Grace, and Bryce Dallas Howard, a second commentary with Producers Laura Ziskin, Avi Arad and Grant Curtis, Editor Bob Murawski and Special Effects Supervisor Scott Stokdyk, a Snow Patrol Music Video, bloopers, and a photo gallery. The two-disc edition will include all that, along with 11 featurettes (Grains of Sand - Building Sandman, Re-Imagining the Goblin, Covered in Black ? Creating Venom, Hanging On?Gwen Stacy and the Collapsing Floor, Fighting, Flying & Driving ? The Stunts, Tangled Web: The Love Triangles of Spider-Man 3, Wall Of Water, On Location Cleveland ? The Chase on Euclid Avenue, On Location New York ?From Rooftops to Backstreets, The Science of Sound, and Inside The Editing Room), and theatrical TV spots.

Also available from the 30th October will be the Spider-Man High Definition Trilogy, a three-pack release of all three films on Blu-ray High-Def allowing fans an exclusive opportunity to collect both Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2 in high definition, along with Spider-Man 2.1 and Spider-Man 3. This will retail at around $98.95. Alternatively, you will be available to own Spider-Man 3 individually on Blu-ray for around $49.95. Sony hasn't revealed the official artwork for these titles yet I'm afraid, but we'll bring you that very shortly.

19. Master-Fett

Master-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 25, 2002
    Its a shame they didn't release it on HD... not that I ever expected them to...

The DVD is actually already leaked.... quite early I say. DVD rips are floating all around torrent sites.

20. Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord

Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2004
    They need to get back to basics with Spidey. No multiple villains.

The third one, though I did enjoy it, was way too rushed and left no real time for character development, which was very out-of-character for Raimi. It was like he phoned it in. So I say they focus on one villain, get back to the dramatic struggles of Peter trying to balance the double life. It would also be nice if we got a Spider-man that didn't remove his mask, publicly, every five minutes... :p

It's just too bad they killed the Venom story. That was deserving of a full movie, they should've saved it, without the emo-crap, it was cute, but went on too long. Craven would be a cool character to intro, Electro could work, please no Rhino or Vulture, and as much as I dig Carnage, I just don't think it would transition well. The greatest possible villain at this point is the one who's been there all along...The Lizard.

This is the perfect Baddie to bring the Spider back to the emotional struggle that is prevalent throughout the Spider-man story.

D_M_S_L

21. Master-Fett

Master-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 25, 2002
    I think a movie adaption of the story Kraven's Final Hunt would work VERY well.
    The comic starts out with Peter mourning over the loss of a friend. He's wrapped in a state of grief and denial. Hes denying that he fears death, fears losing MJ and Aunt May... and is trying to convince himself that he can't die. Not yet. This friend could be Harry in the movie. Kraven is an excellent main villain... and the Lizzard can easily replace the hunted creature who lives in the sewers. A main part of the story is how newlyweds MJ and Peter are separated from each other. well that could easily be translated for the story as well. It is all and all the best storyline for SM4 to have.

22. Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord

Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2004
    I love the Kraven story, I would just like to also see the Lizard. He's been referenced and shown several times in the previous flicks, he deserves to be brought to the forefront.

They could work both in, I suppose, as long as they didn't rush it like the last one.

D_M_S_L

23. Darth_Jericho

Darth_Jericho Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 3, 2003
    Has everyone forgotten that Connors still has part of the symbiote? Personally, I could see them having him experiment with it, add bits to it, and all of a sudden we have Carnage. I've wanted Lizard since we first saw him, but Carnage was also the first Spidey villain I ever laid eyes one. I could see 4 having Lizard as the primary villain and the ending introducing Carnage for 5. But alas, just a fanboy's dream...

24. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    Why is the title for this thread still spelled wrong? :confused:

As for Spider-Man 4 I really hope they take a long hiatus before working on this one. Find the right cast, the right director, the right writers and the right story.

I agree Kraven would make a good story, but I worry that the severity and intensity of the character will be pulled back to meet the PG rating necesary for the younger portion of the audience to see it. Carnage would need to be even more watered down, which is really a shame since his intensity is really his selling point IMO.

To be honest I wouldn't be terribly heartbroken if a fourth film never materialized. I know thats unlikely since Sony is determined to milk this franchise for all its worth while they still have the rights (anyone know how long their contract is good for?) and there is still audience interest, but after this lackluster outing I am starting to see more clearly the flaws of the whole series. And really we know that in one form or another that Spider-man will be back to the silver screen whether its part of this current franchise or through a new interpretation somewhere down the road. Its simply a matter of when and where...

25. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    Title is fixed. ;) Both Kraven and Carnage would be ideal for the fourth film when/if it gets made.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.