main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toronto Spider-man 3 ***Possible Spoilers***

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Spiderfan, Apr 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    I couldn't call myself Spiderfan and not pull together SOMETHING for the new movie. While I admit its not what I wanted to do (I would have liked to have found a decent place where we can all sit downa nd watch the first two first) but instead I want to go to the midnight showing on the Thursday. The plan is the same as usual for me...I'm going regardless you are all welcome to come.

[image=http://media.superheroflix.com/galleries/2399/posters/poster1_huge.jpg]
    Spider-man 3
    WARNING! Trailers may contain possible spoilers
    Teaser Trailer 4*

Premise: Peter Parker has finally managed to strike a balance between his devotion to M.J. and his duties as a superhero. But there is a storm brewing on the horizon. When his suit suddenly changes, turning jet-black and enhancing his powers, it transforms Peter as well, bringing out the dark, vengeful side of his personality that he is struggling to control. Under the influence of the suit, Peter becomes overconfident and starts to neglect the people who care about him most. Forced to choose between the seductive power of the new suit and the compassionate hero he used to be, Peter must overcome his personal demons as two of the most-feared villains yet, Sandman and Venom, gather unparalleled power and a thirst for retribution to threaten Peter and everyone he loves.

More specific details will follow about the evening as we get closer to it. For the Moment I can say that I am going to the Thursday Midnight Showing.

*Appologies about the lack of links to Trailers 1, 2 & 3, they all seem to be down or unlinkable for the moment.

EDIT: Now that the movie is out and some of us have seen it and may want to discuss it I have put a spoiler warning in the title so we can open things up a little.

2. grey_starr

grey_starr Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2004
    I am actually already planning to get a group together here in Milton to see it on the Friday night (May 4th)... that and a Work night viewing that late might kill me...

Everyone is free to come out and Join us friday night!... This offer is NOT to compete with Spiderfan's plans! (and of course Spiderfan is a welcome quest too!)

3. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    Well honestly friday is a better night for most people so I encourage those who would prefer friday to enjoy Dan's event, by all means. Being Spiderfan I feel a need to see it first showing. Like always I'm going regardless and I welcome whoever wishes to join me.

4. Styrofoam_Guy

Styrofoam_Guy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    Yes I will have to miss the midnight showing. Thanks for trying to arrange something Spiderfan.

Anyone else interested in the midnight showing or the Friday evening one? I am planning to go ot the Friday evening one.

Alex
    Styrofoam Guy

5. Sith_Lady_Kenobi

Sith_Lady_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 6, 2002
    It's funny, 'cause looking at my work schedule, the midnight showing would be doable.

Sadly tho, it's just too far and too late, and I have no means of transportation to get back home after. :(

Think I'm gonna bug my friend out to it on either the friday night after work or Saturday night, though. :)

6. assetic

assetic Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 5, 2005
    I am so there!
    I'll even dress as comic book Gwen Stacey JUST FOR YOU!

7. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    Just a reminder. The event is tonight. There are a handful from the boards going but mostly its various people I know. Anyone is welcome. Again we are seeing the Midnight Showing at the Paramount. Don't let them sell you the Imax. THERE IS A PUBLIC NON-IMAX SHOWING AT MIDNIGHT, ask for a manager if need be.

8. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    @};- In Requiem

9. grey_starr

Jan 22, 2004
    It certainly was a busy film..... and I can not say I was impressed with the camera work and methods... but still, over all I liked it... take away the comics and it would have been much better for me ;)

10. Styrofoam_Guy

Jul 28, 2003
    I was hoping for a bit more for $250 million.

So how long do we have to wait before we can disucss the movie?

11. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    Well I put a spoiler warning in the title so i guess you can talk about it whenever now...not sure i should participate as I seem to be in a minority.

12. grey_starr

Jan 22, 2004
    From your first post after seeing SM3, it looks as if you didn't like it at all... I can't see how that puts you in a minority...

I would have been SO much happier if they broke it into two movies... Making more of the Black suit Spidey, and getting with Gwen Stacy...... it all went by so fast... they barely got into the bad boy Paker at all...

13. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    It certainly could have done without Emo Peter and Sandman. And as I have stated numerous times the Venom saga needs to be done in two parts. One where Peter gets the suit, learns about it, nearly ruins his life and rejects it, but not before screwing over Eddie Brock. The second where Eddie as Venom tries to claim revenge on Peter as Peter tries to clean up the messes he made in the first part. For the most part they could have stayed with what they did having goblin be the villain in three where Peter takes on the suit in order to stop Harry, who has infused himself with an advanced but unstable Goblin formula (that eventually kills him as it did in the comics). Peter could simultaneously screw over Brock in his career (expose him as he did) and Charm Gwen away (there wasn't enough of her or her dad, and none of them together at all).

My other beefs are small things like why a man whose blood pressure is such a big deal is being warned by the most ANNOYING AND STARTLING BUZZER IN THE WORLD! As funny as that was, was Betty trying to put this guy into an early grave?

My minority comment is based on the fact I was heartbroken over the movie while others seemed to love it...for example the box office scores indicate that its rather popular (Top Opening Day, Top Imax, Top Opening Weekend...its already made its budget back in just a weekend).

14. grey_starr

Jan 22, 2004
    the critics gave it crap to par scores... and the box office was purely because of Venum... the crowd in my theater were less then excited by the mushy peter... the movie as it self wasn't horrible... like I said... but it was bruttally rushed... REALLY should have been split into two... if they were concerned about action they REALLY could have had Black suit Spidey fight two villians... Sandman and Electro for instnace...

I think a film all about Venum would have been an even bigger hit for them... ending this film with the Venom face would have been an awesome lead into the next movie!... BUT... at least they left the opening for Carnage... with the Doc having that little sample to play with... doubt they touch it though... if they even do a forth movie....

15. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    The Producers have said they are going ahead with 4,5 and 6 regardless of who in the cast returns.

16. Styrofoam_Guy

Jul 28, 2003
    I was not happy with it either. It could have been trimmed to make it tighter.

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

The hair thing for Peter was a bit too much. Oooo hair down plus eyeliner = evil. Also the dancing in the street and the jazz thing. Evil = can play the piano.

And the butler thing? Oh I have been your butler since you were a baby and I knew that Spiderman did not kill your father but I never told you in all the years you hated Spiderman until this point in time just for plot development.

Who goes into a churh wishing to kill someone? And who would be stupid enough to photo shop a photo an dhave it go on the front page of a newspaper not expecting anyone to find out? And then entirely blaming Peter for losing his job????

Gwen Stacy and Brock?
    Brock: I am the new staff photographer
    Spiderman: What do you mean?
    Meanwhile there is a crane above that is swinging uncontrolably that may fall down with a guy inside. Is that crane still swinging away?

Venom - what a waste. Could have potentially been one of the best villians ever but was wasted

Sandman - Ok I understand you want to make the villians more then 2D cutouts but the way it was executed I think it failed.

Stan Lee - Excellent

Harry's fight with the Sandman???? He is helmetless and gets his head bashed in with no damage? Yes he has serum in him but those type of knocks are fairly fatal. And at the end? Peter just cries for Harry whereas before when he wasn't breathing Peter took him straight to the hospital. Yes Harry muttered something to MJ but I don;t think Peter heard that.

The opening graphic sequence? I but the budget for that cost more then what most people have for an entire movie.

I kept thinking "This cost $250 Million????"

I don't think they will make a profit.

17. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    Well he isn't supposed to be evil. The black suit certainly brings out the darker qualities of the person wearing it, but the idea is that its letting go of Peter's inhibitions so all those things he wants to do but doesn't he is now able to do...like dressing emo, dancing, strutting and playing the piano...ok so its not great...but its not supposed to be evil.

He's old...maybe he forgot? ;)

Well I loved his performance and the idea of him being a father and trying to steal to save his daughter. But his purpose in the film was created entirely to give Peter someone to forgive...cept Pete's not supposed to forgive...he is supposed to turn that burden into guilt and wear that on his shoulders for the rest of his life.

Well it wasn't even that well done. The previous films blew me away with their openings, particularly 2...Alex Ross's art was breathtaking. They just repeated the same thing but with live action footage that felt like they were going back to the well. Don't get me started on the closing. [face_not_talking]

Its already pulled in $375 million worldwide in just its opening weekend. I think its doing alright. Though that may taper off quickly over the weekend.

18. Styrofoam_Guy

Jul 28, 2003
    OK the not evil thing makes more sense but still the entire sequence didn't feel like it was done correctly

Yes the guy who played sandman was great. The daughter thing just seems to have been inserted into the movie. You are right about the forgiveness thing. There didn't seem as much burden on Spiderman's/Peter's shoulders as in the other movies. Maybe htat is what is lacking in this movie that makes it not seem right.

Well the sales seem to be there so it does look like there will be a number 4. However I hope that the amount of criticism makes them sit up and take notice that if they do not produce quality movies, they will turn it into a farce like the original Batman and Superman movie series.

19. DaleSabers

DaleSabers Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 25, 2006
    hey has anyone ever noticed that in the movies the word venom is never mentioned yet sandman and spiderman are mentioned several times. Like in the previous movies the characters were either named themselves or Jameson would name them. Also the whole black suit looked completely retarded. They should've had the costume like they have it in the comics and games. The whole raised webbing on the black suit just didn't work well.

also does anyone know if the sample that connors has was taken back? Cause if it wasn't then I think they may have the next movie with carnage in it.

And another thing how the hell did the symbiote grow so big at the end of the film? does it grow from feeding off the hosts or from exposure of the wearers hatred and anger?

20. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    Actually IIRC no one named themselves. They were all named by someone else, generally someone in the media. Peter wanted to call himself the Human Spider but Bruce Campbell as the Ring Announcer adlibbed and named him The Amazing Spider-man. Jameson went about naming both Ock and The Green Goblin

Like the comics, cartoons and games the Venom version of the symbiont was meant to be a corrupted version of the design Spider-man wore when the costume was combined with him...it was used by Venom to sneak up on MJ and scare her as the familiar costume slowly warped into something more menacing. Rather then change the costume in the movie, the costume designers thought that it would be better if the Spidey symbiont costume looked the same only black, rather then changing it to something different. I was a fan of the Venom design incorporating the movie costume with the Venom comic variation (disturbed eyes, sprawling spider symbol that reaches right around him).

I do believe Connors has the sample still so its likely it could be Carnage, but since the only signed to the 4th film right now is the writer and he is sitll int he early stages of the script its still hard to say who the villain will be. speculation includes the return of concepts previously abandoned on One and Two (Black Cat, Lizard, Vulture) and right now the fan favorite seems to be Kraven. Personally my money is on Lizard.

The symbiot has many wonderous abilities. It can shrink to the size of a pin hole so as not to be noticed on its host or grow large enough to cover its host. It can also add mass or change its appearance to look like street clothes. Its only capable however of forming organic weapons (Teeth, Claws, Webbing) unlike its earthly born offspring Carnage who is able to for, non-organic weaponry (blades).

21. grey_starr

Jan 22, 2004
    I'd like Electro and/or Rhino... hehe...

22. Styrofoam_Guy

Jul 28, 2003
    Electro or Vulture would be good ones.

23. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    Rumours state the Vulture was supposed to be the third villain in earlier drafts rather then Venom but Arad talked it over with Raimi and convinced him that Venom's story fits better into the story and the theme he was going for.

While Electro is arguable my favorite Rogue, he is unfortunately someone who gets almost no respect...meaning I highly doubt he will be much more then just a cameo...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.