main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Spider-Man 4 ***Spoilers***

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    I certainly have no problems with two villains, because i think that can be easily done in a 2+ hour long film.

I'm just worried that Spiderman 3 is trying to do to much, at one time. I'm sure Ramis will prove me wrong, but trying to fit Sandman, Green Goblin 2, the Symbiote, Venom, the relationship between Peter, Aunt May, MJ, and introducing new characters like Brock, Gwen and Captain Stacy, and still have a lead-in for the Lizard.

It just seems like a little much, a lot much actually.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    True, but outside of Carnage, The Lizard and maybe Rhino (as a grunt or secondary villian), the average movie goer will also have no clue who Scorpion, Vulture, Shocker, Electro, Kraven or Morbius is. Hell, I think even Sandman falls into the borderline category- he's definitely a second-tier character in terms of public awareness of him.

And you can safely rule out the Vulture, i think- there's absolutely no way they could make the character NOT look laughably ridiculous. Kraven would need a major overhaul to even be considered also. I don't think they'd use Carnage so soon after Venom, either, so he can be ruled out for SM4 I think. I doubt you'd get both Shocker and Electro on screen since they're so similar, so only one of them will ever make it up there, if at all. Scorpion could work, though they might avoid the possible repetitiveness of another "villian with mechanical appendages". Morbius is less of a villain, more of an anti-hero.

So, that leaves Lizard & Mysterio, and maybe Shocker or Electro (with a vastly different costume) if they want to go with one of the older villians, with Kraven or Scorpion as a far outside chance, though none of the latter four would bring the personal threat to Spidey that Morlun brings.

3. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    So why not just adapt the freaking Clone saga? I mean, that's about as as inspired as bringing Morlun into a film. Why not bring the Spider armor into it, or the spider slayers into it while we're at it.

I'd much rather see, though it may come off recycled(with both Norman and Harry), a Hobgoblin story.

4. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 13, 2004
    Although not particularly well known, the classic villains have the advantage of being just that. Old Standards. Morlun is a more recent villain, not to do a dis-service to him, but unless you're up on your recent stuff, you wont know him. People like Kraven and Scorpion, etc, get the old comic readers, the TAS crowd, etc.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The classic villians connect with the older readers, but at the same time, newer charactwrs would click with current readers, and the general movie audience won't care one way or the other, so long as it makes for a good flick.

And Apollo- the Morlun arc was actually rather good, and nowhere near the the same planet as the disasterous clone saga. It's actually been the one Spidey story I'd been hoping the most that they'd adapt one day. Morlun's relentlessness pushed Spidey to the limits of exhaustion and makes you wonder if Spidey actually could beat him. You don't get that from most of the other remaining villians.

However, I do acknowledge it seems to bring a degree of magic or supernatural elements to the story- but they did kinda acknowledge Dr Strange exists in SM2, so it might pave the way for his introduction if Sony has the rights to the character.

But it would be nice to get a mix of newer and older characters- like Sandman/Venom, perhaps Lizard/Morlun could work somehow.

6. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

Mar 13, 2004
    Precisely why i'd like to see Kraven's last hunt adapted.

7. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    we need the lizard in the next one. they've been building up to it in the first 2 movies and what looks like to be in the 3rd.

8. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    I'll be honest, as a comic fan, Morlun wouldn't upset me. I just don't think it'd draw in the crowd they'd really need to bring in on a third or fourth sequel.

Like I said, I'd love to see a concentrated Hobgoblin story, or maybe a Kraven's last hunt story with the Lizard taking Vermin's part, in the sewers.

I don't know, I hate to say that certain things wouldn't work, I just think that they'd have an easier time, especially if they didn't have some of the main cast or director returning, if they stuck with what more people may be at least semi-familiar with.

Either way, I'm just glad Gwen and Captain Stacy finally made their way into the series.

To be honest, I would have been just fine without Venom, especially if the character has to share screen time with so many subplots.

~EDIT~ Though, I'd be very upset if they ever dared to take Carnage on, before Hobgoblin.

9. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    well from the spoilers from Spider-man 3 it seems the symbiote line might be done although i'm sure they could find a way to bring it back

10. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    If they do make a 4, I'd like to The Lizard as the main villian. It would make sense, since they've been been building up to it by having Dr. Connors in these last two.

Also, as I've posted in other threads, I don't want them to do Spidey 4 if they can't get Tobey back. To me, he is Peter/Spidey. Maybe years down the road they could do a re-make or something, but I wouldn't want them releasing it 3 years from now if they can't get him back. :)

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well the rumor is if Tobey doesn't come back, then Jake Gyllanhall (sp?) will take over. Makes sense- they look and sound similar, and jake is obviously also a good actor, and he almost WAS Spider-man for SM2 when Tobey's back injuries briefly lost him the role and Jake was eyed as a replacement.

12. Darth_Sabith

Darth_Sabith Jedi Master star 4

Oct 17, 2006
    Lizard/Morlun that would be cool. They could even have the Lizard be a totum like spidy is. So maybe towards the end they could have Morlun hunting both the lizard and spidy. Eventually he asorb all of the lizard out of Doc. Conners and is just short of killing him when Peter shows up to tango once more. I'd be intrusting but I'd rather keep it down to only 2 villans this time. Could even show peter be afraid of Morlun. As for the others not really instreasted in. Maybe Kraven or a bunch of evil spidermen thing.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000

That...is actually a really great idea.

14. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    I could accept Morlun a lot more, if another "classic" villain also had adequate screen time, and contribution to the plot.

15. Jedi-Queen

Jedi-Queen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2005
    I could see Jake as a replacement, but I prefer Tobey.
    He's the perfect balance of geekiness with a silent strength underneath.
    For me he is the perfect web head.
    I think we'll see the same spidey and the same director.
    They'll convince one another :)

16. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    I have very few doubts that Tobey is done, but the only reason I could see Raimi not doing it, is because of the loss of Tobey. Dunst, from all accounts is done in the series.

17. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I don't mind Morlun being there, considering I haven't heard much about him, as long as the Lizard shows up. Back when Spidey 2 came out, I was thinkin that the Lizard would be the bad guy in Spidey 3. As long as the Lizard is there, I'm happy.

18. Darth_Berserker

Darth_Berserker Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 12, 2005
    they could have the shocker and possibly the vulture but like have the vulture re invisioned like what Nolan is doing with the joker for the TDK. i reckon it would be awesome to have the shocker , he could be played by like karl urban or thomas jane, someone with that sort of attitude, i dunno about Carnage being in a spidey film and keeping the film PG 13, maybe if they had him it would be MA15+ but... i surpose they could tone down the violence. or even something that would be more surreal,,, i dont know her name but there was a i dunno what she would be called but she use to be like lady spider or something and she would appear to spidey as a old woman, and she was like the soul or something of the spider that gave him his powers, i could be wrong i just remeber a woman like that, she was kind of like what the oracle was in the matrix films, anyone know what im talking about

19. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

Mar 13, 2004
    Madame Web

20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I could see the Lizard and Morlun. They could make more similarities between Morlun and Kraven, and maybe have Jameson hire him to get rid of the "Lizard" problem. That would be a good Spider-Man 4. The Hunter and the Beast, fits into the same theme.

I could also see a Black Cat and Chameleon movie eventually, maybe if they introduce Felicia Hardy in 4, or just make it Gwen Stacy. Chameleon was a political assasin, who could assume any appearance, so it could fit into the real world well. And he has a connection with Kraven. His boss could be the Kingpin or something. That would be a good Spider-Man 5.

With Spider-Man 6 they could bring back Norman Osborn as the Green Goblin, and use up the rest of the classic villains as lackeys in the Sinister Six (spider-Man 6...sinister six), with Osborn manipulating them for revenge on Spider-Man, revealing his survival at the end.

I think I'm getting a little ahead of myself here! ;)

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's highly unlikely we'll see Kingpin since Fox grabbed him for Daredevil.

22. Darth_Sabith

Darth_Sabith Jedi Master star 4

Oct 17, 2006
    Kingpin won't happen because they don't want to connect each comic movie to any other. Black cat would be great to see on screen but maybe like spidy 5. Carnage shouldn't show up until maybe 6. Originally I thought Bruce Cambell would have been my ideal but it'd have to be like rated R.
    The rino could be a possiblity as well. My be have Rino, Shocker, and Caminlone in spiderman 5.
    So far only Dunst is willing to turn but who knows.

23. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Exactly, unless Sony aquires the movie rights to the character from Fox, Wilson Fisk will never appear in a Spider-Man movie.

Edit: If Rhino ever does show up he should be played by Dominic Purcell. He'd be PERFECT.

24. Darth_Berserker

Darth_Berserker Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 12, 2005
    yes dominic purcell would be right out of the comic book, he has the same body type as the rhino, he was awesome as dracula in blade trinity

25. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    Raimi & Dunst on Spider-Man 4!

ComingSoon.net/Superhero Hype! talked to "Spider-Man" franchise director Sam Raimi and star Kirsten Dunst today (Thursday) and we asked whether they would return for a fourth installment.

"Absolutely," said Raimi. "Yes, I just don't know what the future holds right now because it's so fresh and just having finished this film like a week ago. It's taken so many years to put together. My mind is an empty blank right now."

Good news! Also, Kirsten Dunst told us that she would do another film if both Raimi and Tobey Maguire returned.

Spider-Man 3 opens in conventional theaters and IMAX on May 4.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.