main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Spider-Man & SSU Films (Madame Web, Venom 3, Kraven, Beyond the Spider-Verse)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, May 20, 2008.

1. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Not mine, and I've seen it quite a few times. There's quite a few "ugh" parts and ideas.

2. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    No. A terrible film is a terrible film, dude. It doesn't get better with age.

Slimy!

3. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    Well admittedly many fans made a bigger deal about how bad the movie was than was necessary when it came out. And having given it further chances recently I can objectively say that some of the reviews around here were unnecessarily harsh. However, thats not to say its a good film. Now that I have some perspective on the thing I can see some value in the film, but quite frankly the detriments far outweigh the pros.

If you feel the need to check it out I am not going to stop you and I won't suggest that you are better off having not seen it, but its certainly not up to par with the rest of the series and based on that its painful to watch sometimes.

4. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Well, I haven't seen it since it was playing in the theaters and I don't think I want to. felt like throwing up on the way out.

5. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    Spider-man 3 was horrendous. It was like TPM all over again. Besides way too many villians, a problem I had was that they kept interrupting the climactic fight with some british reporter exclaiming "OH THE BRUTALITY...!" I was like, what? However, I didn't mind Emo Peter.

I will only see further sequels if Bruce Campbell waves around a chainsaw in them.

6. JediJeffro

JediJeffro Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 23, 2001
    Four and five aren't going to be four hour long cinema epics with deep and penetrating characterization. Sam Raimi raped my childhood. I hate all movies released since 1985.

//Slimy

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  7. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Schizophrenia is no laughing matter

8. Crash_Davis

Crash_Davis Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2006
    [face_laugh]

9. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    Oh come on, you have to know T2 came out in '91!

Slimy!

10. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    It seems that if they go ahead with 4&5 that J.Jonah will be back for more, so long as Raimi remains involved in some capacity (which is looking more and more likely).

11. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    Sony is looking to revive Venom.

12. Andalite-Bandit

Andalite-Bandit Jedi Padawan star 6

Apr 25, 2005
    ...didn't Venom explode?

13. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    what the **** is wrong with these people

14. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    "Let's take an underwhelming supporting character from a disappointing movie, who was 100% DEAD at the end of that film, and give them a spinoff movie that by necessity will have to throw away any real continuity with the original film."

It's Elektra all over again...

15. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    To be fair Daredevil left it in doubt whether Elektra was dead or not, and she managed to be resurected in the comics...not saying that it was a good idea, just not entirely the same as this.

At this point I am all but fed up with Sony for a variety of reasons, and they have confirmed my suspicions that after SM3 they really are just milking the franchise. Shame that Marvel didn't have the rights to this back, given the direction Marvel studios is going.

16. The_Smirking_Revenge

The_Smirking_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 2, 2008
    Yeah, no kidding. You'd think they'd do all they could to retain the rights to their flagship character. And the idea that anyone would even think of bringing Topher Gace back is beyond comprehension.

-T_S_R

17. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    As someone put it to me...Sony won't give this franchise up (and why should they...its been a ridiculous money maker for them) so Marvel can charge them up the Yin Yang for rights renewals and subsidize their own studio owned franchises like Avengers and Iron Man. Its in their best interest to continue pimping out Spidey and X-Men (which Fox is milking for all its worth as well).

18. Jack1138

Jack1138 Jedi Master star 5

Jan 8, 2005
    I am no comics major by any sorts but I offer this;

Spidey 3 suffered the same troubles most every other 3rd act superhero film faces... "O.K. Now what?" ...And under that pressure it cannot deliver. It was not a 'BAD' film, it just felt rushed. I blame studio pressure on that. $$$ rules the day. Venom should have waited. That being said, That Professor that Peter Parker has, Doc Connors? Didn't he have some of that black symbiote stuff? Doesn't he have just one arm? Is he not supposed to become 'Lizard Boy' or something? They have a few things to go on.

Basic formula with superheroes is with film one, Introduce the character and his or her or their origins and have a big climax. With film two, they face themselves and their biggest and baddest villian. On the third..... "O.K. Now what?"

It happens time and time again. Look back to all those 3rd act films. Richard Pryor in Superman 3? X3, what the heck was going on not to mention a different director? I am not even going to re-visit the 90's Batman film disasters. And on that one, Where does "The Dark Knight" go from this point? The Joker did not die but Ledger did. Would they dare re-cast? Some folks I have spoken to agree that only Johnny Depp could pull that one off.

This was another dilemma with "Superman Returns." The character is established... What do you do now?

In any event, they all still look great on the big screen so I will wind up dropping a few bucks.... And that is EXACTLY what the studios count on! [face_plain]

19. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Let's face it.

Raimi's Spiderman just isn't as exciting or as marketable as Chris Nolan's Batman films.

If they do greenlight Spiderman 4, I should hope that Nolan would return for Batman 3, and veer for a head to head opening against it.

Christian Bale bitchslapping Toby Maguire: that would be a box-office weekend worth remembering!

20. JediOverlord

JediOverlord Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2000
    Personally, I'm tried of comic-book superhero movies. They can do whatever they want, but the general public is going to be its fickle self and be tired of them as well sometime.

21. Jack1138

Jack1138 Jedi Master star 5

Jan 8, 2005
    They are looking for the all mighty dollar. Comics Superheroes translate well to the live action big screen with today's tech.

It is truly the stories and characters that carry it though. 'Dark Knight' proves this. You can make the biggest and baddest CGI, destroy the planet, a galaxy, or whatever and you can have a good weekend these days...

But good story and characters will win you the bigger prize. "Star Wars" did it, So did the LOTR trilogy.

22. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Raimi doesn't appear to be as interested unless Tobery Maguire comes in. I don't think Tobey wants to. In the interviews it seemed like doing 3 was as much as a chore to him as it was to us watching it. I do have some faith in this though because James Vanderbit who wrote the outstanding Zodiac is penning the script. I really think it's time for a reboot in this franchise though Topher Grace as Venom was Batman & Robin caliber bad

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  23. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Being a follow-up to a successful, critically acclaimed film about America's favorite superhero doesn't hurt either.

The Incredible Hulk was fantastic, too, but it was about a less-well-known, lesser-loved character and people still had a bad taste from Ang Lee's version. Just being an incredibly well-made and entertaining film doesn't necessarily guarantee the box office $$.

24. The_Smirking_Revenge

The_Smirking_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 2, 2008
    It's funny I used to say the same thing about reality TV... That was two years ago.

-T_S_R

25. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    From what I have read Raimi wants to do it but his decision hinges on whether or not Sony is willing to wait for him as he explores other venues right now (he is burned out on Spidey).

Personally, I think its time to just let it settle for a while and reboot the franchise...

Cept bring back J.K. Simmons...Jameson won't be the same without him.