main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Spider-Man & SSU Films (Madame Web, Venom 3, Kraven, Beyond the Spider-Verse)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, May 20, 2008.

1. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    I find your accusations of bias amusing.

Life likes this.
  2. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Nearly 20 years since Jurassic Park.

eht13 and SithLordDarthRichie like this.
  3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I guess the fact that they've actually making a Spiderman film with Spiderman as the main character was why I enjoyed it. YMMV.

4. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    If you mean an over the top jokester over compensating for Toby's lack of quips, I guess. But everything around that jokester just wasn't good (with the exception of Gwen).

5. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    We get it Valyn. You loved Raimi's films and nothing could possibly ever be as good for you (regardless of actual quality or objectivity). Everyone else is wrong, you and your friends are right, and no one will ever convince you otherwise. Can we move on now please, this is getting old...

Ender_Sai likes this.
  6. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Raimi's movies were great because they showed that autism spectrum disorders are no drawback to becoming a superhero.

7. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    IT'S YOU WHO'S OUT GOBBY! OUT OF YOUR MIND!

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Picked up the BD today. Only browsed the extras so far but did watch the deleted scenes. It's not as substantial as I would have liked (the spider/destiny material is not present [other than the implication from the Oscorp henchman's death scene], nor are the SWAT Lizards) but it has some nice moments. I actually would have liked one or two of the Connors scenes to be added back in (particularly the greater-than-what-we-suffer scene).

The alternate death of Uncle Ben is mixed- it has both it's pluses (the sketch art shot has greater impact, and I like the spider-sense detection of Ben's death) and negatives (it feels more obligatory than the theatrical version).

The other scenes I can see why they were cut (though the small shot of the small lizard would have been a good thing to include if the rest of the scene had been kept).

9. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I picked it up yesterday, too, but didn't have a chance to check out the extras and deleted scenes yet. I got the Target exclusive edition, with another disc of bonus stuff. Hopefully, I'll have a chance to work through some of it today.

10. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    I am disappointed but mine did not come with the confirmation code for my ultraviolet copy. :(

11. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    At the end of the day, though, it's an Ultraviolet copy, not an actual digital copy.

12. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    It was my understanding you could download a digital copy from the UV cloud but it appears that's not the case. :(

13. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I would not have liked this.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's actually a nice moment, that sudden head snap- but it places Ben's death far offscreen, so it's a pro and con.

15. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I just rented the bluray today to give this movie a second chance and since my fiancee hadn't seen it yet.

Her overall impressions: good movie, Andrew Garfield > Tobey Maguire, Lizard = silly.

As for myself...

I by no means am one of those people who think that Raimi's movies were untouchable. They all have flaws (especially the third, but we all know that).

Upon my second view tonight, it was decent. I think it was flawed in the areas already discussed (Lizard, Ben Parker scenes), but (like the Raimi film) it also had its pros.

That said, I suppose neither one of them are as perfect a Spider-Man movie as Batman Begins or the Dark Knight is as perfect a Batman movie.

EDIT:

I do, however, expect the second one to be better. Spider-Man 2 was my favorite of the Raimi trilogy, the Dark Knight was the best of the Dark Knight trilogy, Empire was the best of the Star Wars trilogy, X-2 was the best of the X-Men trilogy...second films in a trilogy seem to have a good thing going for them

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Plus it won't have any left over elements from an abandoned sequel (that the director didn't work on) to hold it back. The Lizard plotline was obviously a carry-over to some degree or another, and those tended to be the weakest parts. Webb excelled with the Peter/Gwen and Parker family stuff, so I think he'll craft something more to his strengths next time.

17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    They are talking to Paul Giamatti about playing Rhino in ASM2. Bloody brilliant!

18. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Whoa really? That's...erm....interesting. Don't really see Giamatti as the Rhino, but I don't see Jamie Foxx as Electro either, so we'll see!

Apparently he loves the Rhino lol.

Now I'm just worried that they're overstuffing this movie...but my hopes are that some villains are cameos, which I'd love to see btw.

19. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    It's interesting... when I saw this movie in the theater with my son I thought it blew away the Tobey Maguire Spider-Man movies. Now, however, I guess that enthusiasm has faded and I pretty much view them as being equal overall, just different.

20. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Can't see Rhino being a major part of the plot as a villain unless he is working with Electro.

21. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Nice to see that Sony has learned absolutely nothing from Spider-Man 3. Too many villains? No such thing!

22. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I really enjoyed The Amazing Spider-Man but much more on my second and third viewing. It's far superior to the first and third films in Raimi's series but Spider-Man 2 is better than this. I can't wait for the sequel and since The Rhino is supposed to be in it now I'm super stoked!

Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone were so much better then Toby Maguire and Kirsten Dunst.

23. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    I know. I mean look at how it ruined Batman Begins and The Dark Knight.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  24. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I'll change my mind when Nolan is making Spider-Man.

25. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    Because he's the only person in the world that could possibly balance multiple characters and storylines.

JoinTheSchwarz and Ender_Sai like this.