main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Spider-Man & SSU Films (Madame Web, Venom 3, Kraven, Beyond the Spider-Verse)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, May 20, 2008.

1. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Ok Ender Sai, call your pal, y'know, the VP of Hollywood? Just so that we can totally make the Pokester here real happy.

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    SLowpoke, when has a discussion you've been in not gone to **** as a result of you being in it?

3. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    In the first Mission Impossible movie, the way it opens, you think it's going to be a team setup, but everyone except Tom Cruise is killed off within the first five minutes. Everyone except Tom Cruise should have been played by Sean Bean.

4. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Erm, I'm pretty sure in that instance Poke was making a pretty common joke about the fate of characters played by Sean Bean, not a serious suggestion.

5. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    It's him. It probably WAS a serious suggestion.

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Michelle Williams in Venom! Probably!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/michelle-williams-talks-join-tom-hardy-venom-1043659

I can't remember the last time Michelle Williams was in something big and mainstream and she's pretty awesome.(of course, Venom is pretty dark and has a bleak backstory) While the Venom movie not being part of the MCU is really irritating if they get people like Tom Hardy and Michelle Williams that would go a long way to giving it some credibility. (Also Bohdi Rook aka Riz Ahmed! Who I would guess would be Carnage. Cuz who else is a main role when you're talkin' bout a Venom movie? Unless they make him the Sin Eater, the serial killer who Eddie Brock's fake news about caused Eddie's downfall. But that seems ... unlikely. Oooh, maybe in this version the Sin Eater is Cletus Kasaddy is Carnage! Eh, why not.)

7. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
  8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000

This was a pretty good one, lol.

9. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    lol nice, I was wondering when he'd turn into Batman.

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I finally got to watch this on the plane to Hong Kong and it was amazing... I think it's hard to top the Raimi Spider-Man 2, but this is really, really close (and far and away better than any other Spider-Man film). I imagine Spider-Fan has this at the top of his list?

Other than some reliance on the standard MCU origin beats (despite it not being an origin story), it's a wildly better story than simply those beats, with a true understanding of what makes Spider-Man actually Spider-Man, some great interwoveness with the rest of the MCU, good cameos and easter eggs, and an actually top-notch villain.

11. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I enjoyed it, but it was much more Ultimate Spider-Man than the classic version I grew up with.

12. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013

That was quite possibly one of the best ones they've done in the past year.

The2ndQuest and Sarge like this.
  13. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Yeah, and at the same time skewering more than a few of the dumbest plot points the movie had.

14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Both the HISHE and the pics posted above are genius. I also agree while I don't think Homecoming is better than Spider-Man 2, it's pretty dangblasted close and easily slots into the #2 spot on the Spider-flick rankings (then Spider-Man, The Amazing Spider-Man, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and Spider-Man 3)

15. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    It Sounds Like The VENOM Movie Will Be Based On This Classic Comic Book Storyline

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Wow, I read a whole lottttt of that mini-series over and over as a kid (Even had the gold foil cover) so that's pretty neat. I am surprised if they aren't going Venom vs. Carnage. Unless they're playing the ASM-verse game and layering it in for another installment. :/

17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Better to not jump right into Carnage without first establishing the new Venom. Rushing into the Sinister Six is what partially killed the ASMverse, let's not rush into Maximum Carnage or Planet of the Symbiotes.

18. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Right. Even in the comics, Venom had plenty of build up before "Savage Genesis" and "Lethal Protector" came along. And since there's not going to be a Spider-Man, it's best to start slow and build.

19. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I won't pretend to know much about Venom - my comic knowledge is dwarfed by you two.

However, when your good guy is a bad guy, you've got to establish a badder guy, yes? I've always assumed that was Carnage, in Venom's case. Are there a litany of others that are viable on-screen and/or will be flashy enough to get butts in seats for these movies? Whether or not the performance of this film will even warrant a sequel is a total unknown - should they not lead with their strongest hand?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It might not even happen now since Sony is doing so horribly right now.

21. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    What, Sony Pictures or the entire corporation? I get the impression that their brand in consumer electronics has lost some of its thunder with the increasing prestige and market share of Samsung in the last ten years. Especially in the phone market, they're getting trounced by Samsung.

22. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
  23. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

While Carnage is Venom's #1 enemy outside of Spider-Man, a lot of his origin is based on ties to Venom which needs to be set up first. See, if this was "Spider-Man 4" or within that same continuity, then it would make sense. Here, the best way to start is to have a foe that Venom can battle and then set the stage for Carnage. Carnage had debuted in "Savage Genesis" in early 1992 and returned in "Maximum Carnage" in 1993. In between was "Spirits Of Venom", "The Vengeance Of Venom" and "Lethal Protector". All three stories traced what happened Venom between those two arcs, as well as setting up his solo series.

24. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    People that thought the Venom film was bizarre for Sony, now comes this report from The Hollywood Reporter:

'Spider-Man' Spinoff: Morbius the Living Vampire Movie in the Works With 'Power Rangers' Writers

Ghost likes this.
  25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    While I'm very okay with a Venom movie (because freakin' Venom) and Black Cat / Silver Sable team up (because freakin' Black Cat and Silver Sable), Morbius is the first one I'm not totally behind when just hearing the idea.