main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Spider-Man & SSU Films (Madame Web, Venom 3, Kraven, Beyond the Spider-Verse)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, May 20, 2008.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    From 2015 Variety article when the deal was first signed:

Making a crossover could have been costly, since Disney would have been expected to shell out millions. But the actual deal turns out to much cheaper — more like free.
    Marvel Studios won’t pay Sony Pictures for the rights to put Spider-Man in “Captain America: Civil War,” the “Avengers” franchise or its other superhero films, as part of its new partnership with the studio, according to sources with knowledge of the deal. At the same time, Marvel won’t receive a cut of the box office for any of Sony’s films that feature Spider-Man. Sony won’t receive a percentage of the revenue Disney makes from Marvel’s films that have Spider-Man, either.
    There may be some opportunities for Marvel to benefit financially from the Sony films, with payments tied to certain box office milestones. The financial relationship is likened by sources to the kind of compensation structure a producer would receive.

From today, Forbes sez Spider-Man is in the MCU for at least 3 more films and Pascal may have....mispoken

However, stories in multiple outlets claiming Pascal said Spider-Man will depart the MCU after the solo sequel are false. Pascal's actual remarks noted that the deal between Sony and Marvel Studios had been extended to include additional films, that all sides expect these movies to be very lucrative, that the deal was remarkable and unique in cinema, and that it remains to be seen whether any further deals will be struck for additional crossover between the studios.

2. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Wait, so is Sony actually planning on making any more Spiderman films at some point?

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The studios would have to fail to start production on a new film for those respective characters within a certain number of years so that their rights expire (like The Punisher, Daredevil or Blade) or choose to abandon/sell back the rights (like Ghost Rider).

It'll never happen with the X-verse- Fox has that locked down for decades at this point. And Sony will never let the full rights go (too lucrative of a character).

FF has a chance given the box office and creative poison of the last one making another attempt problematic at best which might result in a rights reversion but Fox is gonna hold out to the last second that they can. But expect them to at least try to schedule a new FF by 2026.

The Homecoming sequel and the 3 or 4 SM-originating character films (Venom, etc) which won't be connected to Spidey (except for the Miles animated one) or the MCU.

Violent Violet Menace and Ghost like this.
  4. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    So the joint films by Sony and Marvel count towards fulfilling Sony's "you need to make a film by this year in order to keep the rights to the character" deadline?

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    The single plot point that wasn't revealed in the trailer has now leaked.

Pepper Potts will return in Homecoming.

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    So this is basically Iron Man 4, or Iron Man and His Amazing Friend.

7. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I wouldn't mind that.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Most likely. It doesn't really matter if it does because it's not like that will suddenly edge Sony into keeping the rights any longer than they already are likely to.

9. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I wish they could get Felicity Jones back. She's perfect for Black Cat.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Isn't she too old?

11. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    She was flawless in Rogue One.

12. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Ender's talking about the fact that Spider-Man is a high school student and Black Cat, if played by Jones, would be too old. And no, she was not flawless in RO. No "Star Wars" actor in those films are flawless.

heels1785 likes this.
  13. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Don't. Please do. Not. Engage!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  14. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
  15. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Iron Man mentors Spider Boy. They bond, and both are irrepressibly irreverent at all times. Pepper Potts rolls her eyes at Iron Man's boyish rakishness. Aunt May rolls her eyes at Peter Parker's protorakish boyishness. Aunt May and Pepper Potts meet and, together, they roll their eyes at both boys. Iron Man and Spidey fight, but not each other. They intervene in each other's fights. Iron Man saves Spidey. Spidey saves Iron Man. Then they fight together. Together, they both save Aunt May and Pepper Potts. There are cameos from one-to-three other Marvel superheroes. There are winks and nods to comic fans. There are villains. There's a post-credit scene teasing something that may be important two movies down the line. It's comical and marvelous. The subfranchise is refurbished. Money is made. Iron Man earns points on the gross. Spidey earns a pittance, possibly two pittances if certain revenue milestones are reached. The rest of the cast split three quarters of a pittance amongst themselves.

Jedi Merkurian and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Be fair now, I'd wager the highest paid actors in Homecomming are 1) Robert Downey Jr. 2) Michael Keaton 3) Tom Holland in a tie with Marisa Tomei 4) JK Simmons JJJ for only 30 seconds in a post-credits tease that will literally explode the roof off the place.

Jedi Merkurian and Rylo Ken like this.
  17. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
  18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Amy Pascal interview on how the Spider-Deal was dealt

http://collider.com/amy-pascal-spider-man-homecoming-interview/

"So it felt like we needed to do something else and this felt like the right thing to do. And Kevin and I had been talking for a very long time about that, and here’s the thing that I wanted, I emphasize for all of you, because I think this is really important and I don’t think it will ever happen again in the history of the movie business: You have three studios that came together to have this movie being made. No studio likes to share anything with anyone, let alone three studios. And truthfully—there is nothing cynical I can find in this statement—everybody did it because they wanted Spider-Man to be great. Truly, it was because Spider-Man is great, the character is great and people love him. That’s good for Disney. That’s good for Marvel. And that is certainly good for Sony. So, the fact that all these companies were willing to work together to make that happen—believing that everybody needed each other in order to have that happen. I think that’s pretty miraculous."

One of the things that nerds really care about is what happens with Spider-Man over time. What is the larger plan? Are there agreements? How many appearances can Spider-Man make over Marvel movies?

PASCAL: I think I’ll answer it this way: I think we found the right formula and I think everybody is going to want the right thing to continue. And I think that there’s a, as I said there’s a surprisingly generous and cooperative thing and if it works for everybody, then it’s going to work for everybody. The thing is—and I always felt this way—if you worry about the movie and you worry about the story, all the politics take care of themselves. They just do. Because when the movies work, there’s enough for more than everybody. It’s when you start making the other stuff first that you start to get in trouble.

Can you think of any specific ways that the development of this film with Marvel was different from doing it independently at Sony?
    PASCAL: Oh my God, they have a whole process that’s so fantastic. I mean, I’m a total Marvel groupie now. They are meticulous, they are relentless and one of the great things is you’re in a meeting with them, and they go, “Okay, it’s good, but how do we make it better?” I’ve never heard that before! So, this is like, “Okay. It’s really good. How do we make it better than this? How do we go tot he next place? How do we plus it?” That’s their favorite word at Marvel. “Are we plussing a scene?”

19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    15 Years Ago, the 1st, and still one of the best, Spider-Flicks was released. Spider-Man. (I remember I went there and it was sold out, which to me was nuts cuz I didn't think anyone would actually go see a Superhero movie in the dark days of 2002. Saw something else instead came back the next day much eariler) Overall, sometimes the movie feels like a warm up for the awesomeness that is Spider-Man 2 (Generally, when I watch SM1 it's just to get to SM2) but this movie is pretty great for the most part. And it managed to have a silver-age vibe with Sam Raimi's general sense of weirdness (which, once again, I think he perfected with Spider-Man 2). But how awesome was it to see a big budget superhero movie that was Spider-Man. Or finally a Spider-Man movie after all, eh? We all complain about Spider-this and spider-that but, dammit, those first 2 movies are great! And even the casting in the first Raimi film is pretty bang on.

Here's THR's 2002 review

20. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    It couldn't possibly be any worse than Iron Man 3.

Man there have been A LOT of spider man flicks... .I still think topping the first 2 tobey macguire films will be hard... those were pretty damn good

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I remember catching it in a packer theater full of SW fans the weekend of Celebration II- fantastic experience. It also made for a much-needed post-9/11 release for the audience from a film that was, itself, upended by those events in multiple ways.

SM1 & SM2 have opposite flaws- what one falls short in, the other avoids and vice versa, but they were still great experiences at the time and mostly hold up well (I still find it hard to watch Tobey in the role after Garfield) despite those flaws (and, obviously, a mishandled third film).

Jedi Merkurian and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Great retrospective write up on the original Spider-Man from Collider here

I think this graph kinda sums up it's style perfectly:

This bizarre duality—trying to be both somewhat realistic and also ridiculously melodramatic—is perfectly represented by Raimi’s take on the Green Goblin. Norman Osborne (Willem Dafoe) is kind of a tragic figure. He doesn’t start out being evil, and it’s only from his rational desire to save his company that he takes the risk of dosing himself with the Goblin formula. That formula turns him insane, but he keeps wrestling with the Goblin’s actions throughout the movie. But the Goblin character is deliciously over the top, complete with a cartoonish voice and screaming at Aunt May (Rosemary Harris) to finish her nightly prayers. In any other film, that would feel horribly disjointed, but Raimi manages to hold it all together.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  23. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
  24. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

No I'm not.

25. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Agree with BigAl6ft6 - 1 and 2 are classics of the genre, particularly 2. Everything Marvel has done with the exception of Iron Man 1, on the other hand, has been at least as awful as Spider-Man 3. Raimi nailed the style and tone and made 2 movies that stand out from a genre that tends to be a blight on cinema.