main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Spider-Man & SSU Films (Madame Web, Venom 3, Kraven, Beyond the Spider-Verse)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, May 20, 2008.

1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    There's no way being bitten by a radioactive spider makes you stick to walls, super strong and agile and have a sixth sense either. It's called fiction. We're talking about fictional characters.

Actually, he was still in his twenties when "One More Day" was written. He was sixteen when was bitten and was twenty six during "The Clone Saga". I think he was close to being thirty, but he wasn't older than that.

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    When it comes to eye-poppingly improbable Marvel logic, the fact that "Peter Parker is a kid genius who made his own web fluid and web shooters" doesn't even crack my top 20. In the "Ultimate Spider-Man" comic, he was basing off a formula his scientist dad was working on. But aside from the Raimi movies and a very brief organic webshooter aside, every mainstream version is Peter Parker makes it on his own cuz he smart.

As for Peter's age, and how he's represented every time he gets rebooted in a new medium and unless you count the Spider-Man '90s cartoon where he was already had his powers and in college (apparently it was supposed to dovetail off the never-made James Cameron Spider-Man origin movie, hence no cartoon origin), they all go back to the original template which is Lee / Ditko "Amazing Fantasy 15"

[​IMG]

Where Parker is the professional wallflower who is perpetually bullied by Flash and ignored by his peers, gets bitten by radioactive (or sometimes a genetically engineered) spider, gets powers, life seems to change for the good but he's selfish and Uncle Ben dies, learns Great Power comes Great Responsibility. Although in the original Stan Lee books, he was out of midtown high before issue #30, but the AF 15 template is the one everyone goes back to. Also the problem with aging Peter Parker too much izzat if he gets older, then everyone else in the Marvel Universe gets older. I mean, what war did The Punisher serve in now and when did Tony Stark get injured? So it's vaguely fudged that, at most, it's been 10 years since he became Spider-Man but he never really gets "older" than his mid-20s. And that's only in the main Marvel U, everywhere else he's either in high school or college.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  3. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    well everyone did get older. the original x-men were teenagers too. but the 80s they were well into their 20s. Sue Richards had a child and she didn't look like a 'girl' anymore.

4. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah but at most everyone ages in Marvel, especially if we're talking silver-age Stan Lee folk like the X-Men, Spider-Man and Iron Man, but all they push them is to about a decade and that's about it. And even then it's vague. Sue and Reed's kids are almost perpetually pre-teens.

5. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    It's a sliding scale that both DC and Marvel uses. The time period between "The Night Gwen Stacey Died" and "Clone Genesis" is only a couple of months. And from that story to "Kraven's Last Hunt" and "The Lost Years", is three years. And from there to "Power & Responsibility" is two years. Even though in real time it was many years in between, that's how Marvel has defined their timelines. The number of years that the original characters from the 60's have been active, varies across different editorial administrations.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah I personally always found this reveal from Peter in Civil War #3 (the comic) to be indicative of how fast / slow time can pass in Marvel across issues

[​IMG]

Great moment (I still wish somehow they could have worked it into the Civil War movie or maybe at some point in the MCU) but, if you think about it, this pronouncement establishes that Peter becomes Spider-Man in high school when he's 15 in Amazing Fantasy #15 and he graduates from high school in Amazing Spider-Man #28 (so he's 17 or 18 then). So that's like, what 3 years that passed in 28 issues of Stan Lee's 60s run? And let's say Peter was 25 in Civil War so maybe a decade, tops from the late 60s to 2007 across, like, literally hundreds of issues.

7. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Homecoming finally opened in China to 70 million. Domestically, Homecoming is behind the 3 Raimi movies by 9 million but with the china opening it just bounced it to the 2nd highest Spidey flick of all time, past both ASM movies and the first two Raimi flicks.

8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I finally put the movie in my 5 stars list. I feel dirty about it, giving this one the magical rating and not Wonder Woman.

heels1785 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  9. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Wonder Woman didn't have Spider-Man in it. But, to be fair, that's a detriment to almost any movie, frankly.

10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003

as one of the most shameless dc comics shills on these boards, i do not blame you. if forced, i'd probably pick spidey too, even though i loved ww

11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Besides the bland score, I can't think of a single criticism.

12. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    not enough rdj

because now that he's done with the 2/3rds crap iron man trilogy, he's ****ing fantastic in everything

13. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

It could have worked if this was the Raimi Spider-Man and maybe the Webb Spidey, but after a couple more solo films. Anyway, yeah, that's how the sliding scale works in comics. Back in the days of Lee and Ditko, they didn't know how long Spidey's success would last which was why he was aged in a loose real time scenario. Once Lee wrapped up his run, the sliding scale took full effect and there were longer gaps in between. Right now DC's done the same thing with Superman, but they've really compressed things. The bulk of Superman's adventures from 1986 through 2011, some of which have been retconned out or swept under the rug, have all been pushed to about a five to six year time period, with a ten year period during which he wasn't as active as he and Lois were raising their son who is now ten. So that puts the timeline at about fifteen years. Before "Flashpoint" it was fifteen years from his public debut to "Reign Of The Doomsdays".

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Such insight. I know you're envious of such a mind, Ender Sai

Ender Sai likes this.
  15. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Christ Alastair, you'll break the boards with that sort of cerebral insight. People will flock to you as if some sort of prophet, which you rightly are.

Diggy likes this.
  16. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    So how will they handle Black Cat?

17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I asked them not to include her. They were happy to indulge.

BigAl6ft6, Ender Sai and heels1785 like this.
  18. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

I don't know Slowpoke. Nobody does. Why do you ask perennially dumb questions like "what will the music sound like on this picture that has just been announced" or "Will they shoot it at day, night, or both" or "What do you think the post-credits scene will be on this 2024 release" or "what kind of catering will the two sequels have?"

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  19. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Aren't they gonna make a Black Cat and Silver Sable movie?

20. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    It's just gonna be Silver Sable and an actual black cat. They worked with dozens of focus groups and they unanimously agreed this was the best approach.

Ender Sai likes this.
  21. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I prefer the opposite.

22. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Sables aren't really domesticated, though.*

*I mean they are grown on farms for their fur, but they aren't really functional as pets. So that would be clunky to put onscreen.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  23. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Seriously, Felicity Jones is a very good actress and fit Black Cat well. She would be a good addition to MCU.

24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I fully support Felicity Jones in anything and everything and returning her as Felicia to be Black Cat would be totally okay.

...but it won't be MCU cuz these are Sony-only projects. But, honestly, Jones as Black Cat would go a longgggg way to making me accept it. Heck, I'm actually pretty okay with the Venom non MCU movie cuz they got freakin' Tom Hardy. you don't really need to show Venom's origin when you have Tom Hardy, just have him do a monologue, he could sell the dark emotional twisted pathos of the entire origin in about 1 minute.

25. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Sean Bean should play Uncle Ben.