main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Spider-Man & SSU Films (Madame Web, Venom 3, Kraven, Beyond the Spider-Verse)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, May 20, 2008.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Really, people? The gay people that I have been close to, including my oldest friend on this planet plus a couple of cousins, have all had heterosexual relationships before coming out of the closet. I don't think Spidey being a "playa" or having relationships with women in the past has any bearing on what he'll do later.

Honestly I don't give a flying ****, I'm looking forward to Amazing Spider-Man 2 no matter who Peter Parker is doing, but I don't think it's safe to assume that Peter Parker can't be gay.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Something shocking.

3. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011

Spidey will turn out to be gay, black, and Asian at the same time.

4. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    And they bring out the gimp.
    [​IMG]

Never underestimate the rage of fanboys when you change parts of a character. Remember when they made Darth Vader a whiny, mopey teenager?

And remember the fan outrage when they announced that the Green Lantern was going to be gay? But DC played it safe and made Green Lantern Alan Scott gay.
    So while they told the truth that Green Lantern would be gay, they switched it over to be the Green Lantern that nobody gives two ***** about.
    [​IMG]

Sure you are, Alan. Sure you are.

5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Wacthing people freak out over the idea of a gay Spiderman is hilarious though. Not only because it highlights inherent insecurities in them, but.... well mostly that.

NO WAY IS HE GAY I MEAN I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH GAYS IN FACT I KNOW LIKE 18 GAY PEOPLE BUT I'M NOT GAY MYSELF AND NEITHER WOULD SPIDERMAN BE. HE LOVES WIMMENS. LIKE I DO.

6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Crank that up by a factor of 10 and you have the forum implosion that happened when a few of us mentioned the idea of an Episode VII character being gay.

Holy hell. Poor ST forum mods.

But yeah, pretty accurate.

7. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    Actually, Marvel has already come close to having a gay spider-man with Miles Morales, who took over the mantle after Peter Parker died. Then someone at Marvel lost their nerve once the kid started gaining in popularity.

8. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008

Already done by Karen Traviss. Gay Mandalorians. Nobody saw it coming.

9. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It was always going to be Alan Scott - they said as much when they announced it. It was a decision made by the writer of Earth-2 specifically to compensate for the fact that Alan Scott's son, who was gay, had to be removed from continuity due to Alan being much, much younger now.

Also, holy hell entire Internet, you can date boys and still like girls, too. I've done it. It's kind of awesome.

Edit:
    That was baseless speculation by the Drudge Report, actually. I would suggest you stop getting your comic news from them, they are somewhat less than talented at it.

Adam of Nuchtern and Ender_Sai like this.
  10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Ramza your post suggests men on men love is ok, and that Drudge is bad. As a White Christian Southern Male, I recognise this as Satanic communism and ask that you leave that in Russia where it belongs.

11. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Yet another reason why I have not stepped foot back into the Ep7 forum since it first opened.

12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Jesus, if you won't go in there... :eek:

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I mean, I'm not seeing these films in any case -- and I'm wholly against a black or gay Spider-Man because... that's not faithful to the source material. But if they're already changing a bunch of the backstory to make it edgier or whatever the hell it is Sony is doing, I don't see why they wouldn't just destroy the whole universe and go whole-hog different than the comics... :p

EDIT:

PS - Spider-Ham or GTHOTB
    PPS - Captain Universe Spidey from Acts of Vengeance or GTHOTB!!!

14. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
  15. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Why is it unnecessary?

16. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    First you guys took our rainbows and now you want our superheroes!
    GT*O Bacon!!!!

Adam of Nuchtern and Bacon164 like this.
  17. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    Because gaylove is icky!!

18. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Fans have had the droids for years, so there's nothing to be upset about :p

19. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    You don't understand, Bacon, if Spider-man has a boyfriend, he can never date a girl again! Those are the rules! Once you've had penis, you'll never... I dunno, some kind of rhyme.

20. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Well, I agree that it'd be unnecessary.

But sausage on pizza is unneccessary, too, and no less great because of it.

21. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Seriously? Migod, is it frigging 2013 or not?

I'm not going to pretend to be totally cosmopolitan and just be like, "Yes, that's a great idea and it wouldn't make any difference." It would be weird for Spider-Man to be gay. I'm not a homophobe (said the homophobe), but it would be a monumental shift in the character and it would take some getting used to, speaking for myself. But it wouldn't piss me off or make me boycott the movie or anything. I have some friends who would definitely boycott a movie with a gay Spider-Man.

On the other hand, it wouldn't be totally out of the blue. The Tobey Maguire/James Franco relationship in Raimi's trilogy was kind of dripping with homoerotic tension. Or was that just me?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  22. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    You and maybe James Franco.

[​IMG]

23. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, it definitely seemed to be one - sided on Franco's end. I didn't feel any sort of the same coming from Maguire.

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    No, it wasn't just you.

A gay Spider-Man might be weird; to me it was weird when Rowling brought Dumbledore out of the closet.

But I wouldn't consider it a problem. There's a difference between "OK, that's weird after 50 years of comics in which he liked women" and "ZOMG I NEED MY SUPERHEROES TO BE STRAIGHT!"

Which is where "Is it 2013 or what?" comes into play.

25. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    I mean, it would be an idiotic business venture, but I'm not going to pretend that when I first heard the idea, I wasn't like "OMG IT'D BE SO COOL IF I COULD RELATE TO A HAWT BLOCKBUSTER MAIN CHARACTER'S EXPRESSION OF SEXUAL IDENTITY AND THE HIGHS AND LOWS HE EXPERIENCES THROUGH HIS GAY RELATIONSHIPS AND MAYBE IF I WAS 14 IT'D HELP ME UNDERSTAND MYSELF MUCH BETTER THAN I DID AND HELP SHAPE MY IDENTITY IN A POSITIVE WAY" cuz I totally was.