Amph SPIDER-MAN: The Amazing, Sensational, Friendly Neighborhood Discussion Thread (HTR Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by jacemathem, Jul 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jacemathem Force Ghost

star 5
    (Despite there being many images, all my preview graphics are designed with slower connections in mind)

[HTR SPOILER POLICY: All non-preview information from an issue is considered "spoiler material" until the next issue in the same series is released]

=======================================================
    SPIDER-MAN: The Amazing, Sensational, Friendly Neighborhood Discussion Thread
    =======================================================

After being bitten by a radioactive spider, Peter Parker became the Amazing Spider-Man. Learning at a young age that with great power comes great responsibility, Spider-Man selflessly devotes his time to being one of Marvel's greatest heroes.

Spider-Man (Peter Benjamin Parker) is a fictional Marvel Comics superhero created by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko. Since his first appearance in Amazing Fantasy #15 (Aug. 1962), he has become one of the world's most popular, enduring and commercially successful superheroes. When Spider-Man first saw print in the 1960s, teenage characters in superhero comic books were usually sidekicks. The Spider-Man series broke ground by featuring a hero who himself was an adolescent, to whose "self-obsessions with rejection, inadequacy, and loneliness" young readers could relate.[1] Spider-Man has since appeared in various media including several animated and live-action television series, syndicated newspaper comic strips and a successful series of films. Marvel has published several Spider-Man comic book series, the first being The Amazing Spider-Man. Over the years, the Peter Parker character has developed from shy high school student to troubled college student to a married teacher and a member of the superhero team the Avengers.

Ongoing titles as of 2007

Spider-Man first appeared in Amazing Fantasy #15. After that, he was given his own series. Many followed, and as of August 2007, the related main continuity titles are:

- The Amazing Spider-Man
    - Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man
    - The Sensational Spider-Man
    - New Avengers

Other continuities

- Ultimate Spider-Man (ultimate universe)
    - Spider-Man Family (misc adventures)
    - Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane (non-canon)
    - The Amazing Spider-Girl (alternate future, starring Spider-Man's daughter)
    - Marvel Adventures: Spider-Man (younger readers)

======================
    SPIDER-MAN: THE RECENT PAST
    ======================
    [image=http://www.ecovington.net/jcforums/preview/spiderman-newavengers1.jpg] [image=http://www.ecovington.net/jcforums/preview/spiderman-amazing519.jpg]
    JOINING THE NEW AVENGERS
    After a breakout at the Raft Security Prison, Spider-Man joined the Avengers (newly formed in the aftermath of the Scarlet Witch's attack on her own team). An old classmate of Peter's named Charlie Weiderman went on an insane rampage after his experiments covered him in Vibranium, and burned down the Parker's home in Forest Hills. Peter moved into Tony Stark's tower with Aunt May and Mary Jane. For this and various other reasons, Spider-Man's secret identity was shared with many of the world's heroes including the Avengers and the Fantastic Four, providing him with an venue to communicate among his peers.
    [SEE: New Avengers #1-3, A/>/>
  2. jacemathem Force Ghost

star 5
    Ideas to get discussion moving...

DISCUSSION TOPIC #1: Do you think Aunt May is going to die? If so, what changes do you think will happen in Peter Parker as a superhero? As a husband? As a human being?

DISCUSSION TOPIC #2: What is your opinion on Spider-Man going back to the black costume? And is he justified in his actions against the Kingpin?

DISCUSSION TOPIC #3: Should Spider-Man have supported the Pro-Registration side of the Civil War and unmasked or have joined Captain America and the Anti-Registration side from the beginning? Consider the entire course and aftermath of the war.

DISCUSSION TOPIC #4: Has Eddie Brock redeemed himself or not?

3. Soontir-Fel Force Ghost

star 5
    Back in Black annoys me because we already know that the Kingpin is going to get off scott free.
  4. jacemathem Force Ghost

star 5
    How is that? :confused:
  5. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    Because of Daredevil, which apparently is taking place post Back in Black. The Kingpin has already been released from Ryker's and exiled to Japan. However, Peter was recently in Japan with the New Avengers. Maybe he paid a visit to Fisk while he was there?
  6. Soontir-Fel Force Ghost

star 5
    Too busy fighting ninjas and bad art.
  7. jacemathem Force Ghost

star 5
    QFT.
  8. Sith_Sensei__Prime Force Ghost

star 5
    I would agree The New Avengers art work is lacking, but I've been liking the recent storylines.

I think Aunt May is going to die. I'm sure it will have a profound effect on Spidey, just like Uncle Ben's death. More thoughts to this on Topic #3.

Personally, I just thought it was a gimic to tie-in with the movie. But, it seems kids got a big kick out of Spidey dawning the black attire. I liked the black costume when it first came out in the 80's and seeing in it again was cool, but I prefer the red and blue tights. As for him being justified against the Kingpin? Well, I'm sure the Punisher would be on Spidey's side. It's funny how thin the line is between justice and revenge. I've picked up the latest Amazing Spider-man issue but haven't read it yet.

Considering the entire course and aftermath of the war; no. Revealing his identity put his family in danger and has Aunt May on life support. He should have join Captain America in the beginning, but Tony Stark got to him first. Now Peter Parker will never have a public and normal life, which will be tough because he's not rich like Tony Stark or the Fantastic Four. If Aunt May dies, I'm sure he'll fall into a deep depression which he has already gone through with the death of Captain America (see Fallen Son (great art work there)). I'm sure he would want to give the entire super-hereo thing up.

Have to read that issue.

9. Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Just out of curiosity where in the timeline does the current issue of Amazing Spider-Man and World War Hulk stand? because we see Spider-Man in the black suit helping with the evacuation and fight
  10. jacemathem Force Ghost

star 5
    World War Hulk is taking place during Amazing Spider-man's "Back in Black" story arc, because later comic covers of Amazing Spider-man show him back in his famous red-n-blue.
  11. NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Spidey isn't going to kill the king pin.

Aunt May, won't be perminently dead, i think FCD issue was a preview of things to come in brave new day and she is a live and well in it.
  12. chiss_man Force Ghost

star 6
    I don't think anyone would believe Aunt May being dead again, myself included. It'd just be revealed to be another actress five or so years down the line again. :p
  13. jacemathem Force Ghost

star 5
    Or a Skrull
  14. Sith_Sensei__Prime Force Ghost

star 5
    Somebody please educate me on what "FCD" means.

No. Eddie Brock did not redeemed himself in anyway, at least from the issue of Sensational Spider-Man. He simply did not kill an innocent.

I'll looking forward to the "One More Day" story arc.
  15. jacemathem Force Ghost

star 5
    ZOMG BIG SPOILERZ!!

Spider-Man's Marriage... Over?

Marvel sure is sneaky. IGN Comics just received an e-mail from the publisher with an image attached.

The title of the message simply says "The End of an Era" and indicates the Joe Quesada artwork is from Amazing Spider-Man #545 (we're assuming it's the cover). That issue will mark the conclusion of the "One More Day" storyline, as well as the end of J. Michael Straczynski's six year run on the series.

Following "One More Day" will be the weekly Amazing Spider-Man initiative known as "Brand New Day". Be sure to check out our related stories for more details, including the new creative teams helming the thrice-monthly book.

What exactly is in store for the wall-crawler during "One More Day"? Sadly, we don't know any more than you do...

Or do we? Here's the attached image

My thoughts...

It's about time. MJ has become a Mary Sue (ironically)... I think Spidey is better off remaining Spidey full-time and hooking up with Black Cat.

END OF GINORMOUS SPOILERZ!!
  16. Soontir-Fel Force Ghost

star 5
    And that is why I hate Joe Quesada.
  17. Raven Administrator Emeritus

star 6

Yep.

I'm very disapointed.
  18. chiss_man Force Ghost

star 6
  19. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    Quesada wants a single Spider-Man. What he's going to get is a divorced Spider-Man. I don't see how this is an improvement at all.
  20. jacemathem Force Ghost

star 5
    Well one of the classic plots of the Spider-man story is Peter Parker's very very complicated love life due to his double-life... and lately, it's been quite silent. Marvel is just shaking it up again back to life.
  21. Ghost Chosen One

star 6
    That seriously sucks, a divorced Spider-Man is a horrible idea. He deserves SOME happiness.
  22. NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well the first issue of one more day came out today. It was pretty good, I'm not sure how JMS is going to tie his run up in the next three issues, but i'm looking foreward to checking it out. Quesada's art is a bit different than i'm used to, but it grew on me as the issue went on.
  23. Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I thought the art was done quite well
  24. chiss_man Force Ghost

star 6
    Some of the faces looked funky, but otherwise Joey Q's art looked nice.
  25. whisperjedi Jedi Master

star 2
    I haven't read Spiderman in YEARS! I kinda lost track in the 90's, after Mcfarlane's run. I spuddered in for three issues of Harry Osborn's return as the original "Green Goblin". ANd did start with J.M.S early start. I have been totally dismayed by ALL the changes 2 Peter PArker. He's joined the NEW Avengers(which I liked), and hated him, getting all these new uniforms from T.Stark (Iron Man)...going back 2 black 2 tie in with the latest Spiderman movie...
    Getting Unmasked etc...
    Yesterday, I bought an tattered copy of Amazing Spiderman #97. Written by Stan Lee with art by Gil Kane.
    This 2 me is what Spiderman was all about.
    I read "One more day", & I'm not entirely "amazed". Yeah, they might kill off "Aunt MAy" but this stunting has happened a zillion times already. Kill M.J, this wouldn't faze me either.
    I think the true Spiderman story has gotten out of hand, I did like Ultimate Spiderman, but that also is spinning out of control. Where is the "real" Spiderman?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.