main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph SPIDER-MAN: The Amazing, Sensational, Friendly Neighborhood Discussion Thread (HTR Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by jacemathem, Jul 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    I didn't care for the Other/New Avengers/Spidey is now a mainstream hero thing while it was happening. However, in retrospect the overall arc was badly needed.

Everything was going great. Wife, money, acceptance. After Civil War/Unmasked he goes back to his roots...life in the toilet. Who doesn't like reading about Peter Parker suffering?

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Here's that teaser image for those who have yet to see it.

[image=http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o170/darth-ermac/ASM545COV_150.jpg]

3. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Why is Quesada's art so bad?

Why is it so bad?

4. whisperjedi

whisperjedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 19, 2005
    Why did the latest Friendly Spiderman comic:eek:ne More Day part2 suck?

5. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Because, it's Spider-Man as the main Spider-Man title has been written in the last two years.

I've got to say: if I were a comics editor, one of the first things I'd sit down and do is ask: where do I want my bread and butter characters to be five years from now? That's a question that can get updated answers as time goes forward. But, I don't want to move from SHOCKING DEVELOPMENT to THIS ISSUE CHANGES EVERYTHING to SOMEONE DIES!!1! without darn good reason. Picking a long term direction gives, well, direction. And it means that people are going to be a lot less annoyed at changes in the book, because they feel like changes going somewhere.

Captain America is currently a good example of that.

Anyhow, Spider-Man is an example of tons of random plotlines that CHANGE EVERYTHING that don't really change anything in the long term, because they don't get left in place long enough for anyone to care. Iron Spider, Spider-Man talking to bugs, Spider-Man with spikes, Spider-Man with organic webbing, outing himself, bleh. Who'll remember? Spider-Man has gone through so many WE'VE NEVER SEEN THIS BEFORE changes lately, that they don't even register.

6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It's because they've run out of ideas, and want to keep people's attention. But I agree, there are so many it doesn't register anymore. Spider-man being killed and ressurected so he gets some spikes? The point of Gwen Stacy giving birth to Norman Osborn's kids? And the whole "it's not because it was a radioactive spider, it's because it's was a magical spider sent by the spider gods to pass on its powers before it dies!", what in the world?

The problem is they refuse to let Spider-Man move on and age. He was GOING to be a father, Mary Jane's pregnancy was carried out for years and years. What happens? Turns out Green Goblin is still alive, and mastermind of masterminds, and Spider-Man's daughter mysteriously "dies" in childbirth? But don't worry, it's a happy ending, because Aunt May is still alive! WTH?

7. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    There's still plenty of good stories to tell. The problem is that the last several years, no one has done anything as concise as it used to be. JMS may have done some good but he's not in league with Roger Stern, J.M. DeMatties, David Michellene (sp), Tom DeFalco, Marv Wolfman or Gerry Conway. Hell, even Howard Mackie followed through with his plots, even when it was controversial. If Slott and company are allowed to flourish, then there may be good things coming here.

8. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    We all realize who the red pigeon/girl in red is...right?

I mean, a certain villain who has that color scheme was touted to be the "comback villain of 2007". And unless he's behind WWH...I don't really see anywhere for him to come back onto the scene.

Anyway, the more I think about it, the more I think that horrid leaked OMD synopsis is actually true.

9. whisperjedi

Apr 19, 2005
    The only thing interesting, to read, was M.J's bio....and Gwen's "kid's"? They...(Editor's) are pissing against the winds of history, and long-time avid reader's are ticked. @ this point in time just "send him back in time" 2 repair all the damage the "writers" have done...ohh spidey, U have spun outta control!

10. Darth_Sabith

Darth_Sabith Jedi Master star 4

Oct 17, 2006
    I'm sorry I refuse to read Marvel Comics anymore they just mess up everything now..with the x-men being an actual law enforcement team to well spidy having a cool new costume to not having it...He's back in black...oh wait no he's not he just uses his normal clothing now because everyone knows who he is. Then every thing has to be world or universe destroying now. I loved the secret wars, Onslaught ect but they came maybe every two or three years now it's every six months.

I for one would love to see the hero's age and pass on there legacy it'd be different expecially if they kept them out of the main spot light for over two years. You could even have Peter have a daughter and a son...Ben Parker anyone or even Ben Reily Parker.

11. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    He did have a daughter, only of course the Green Goblin had to be responsible for MJ's "miscarriage." Dumbest move ever.

12. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    The last two issues of one more day have delayed. that sucks.

13. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Which will likely in turn delay the new tri-monthly AMS.

14. whisperjedi

Apr 19, 2005
    Comics delayled!!?!?! no....it could never happen.

15. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    Potential Spoilers for One More Day.... if its true its fairly lame

Here is the low down.

It's pretty much what we all suspected. The marriage will be erased from history due to a deal that is offered to Peter. He has to undone some points in history that led to the unmasking in order to save Aunt May. While he is pondering the ethics of the choice made to him, MJ secretly makes the deal for him. Because she was instrumental in his choice to unmask, she chooses to go back and never reveal she knew he was Spider-Man. This undoes the marriage. As a "gift" due to her bold choice, she is granted powers and becomes Jackpot. She is warned that if she reveals the past to Peter, who has no memory of it, then it will create a timeline shockwave. As a result, Peter is back to status quo, single and with a secret identity. Aunt May doesn't know who is either.

Source

16. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    That is just awful. If this turns out to be the case, I'll probably drop AMS.

17. Darth_Sabith

Oct 17, 2006
    Well if that's the case it makes me glad I stopped following spider-man....Question does that mean Ben Rielly will return?

18. whisperjedi

Apr 19, 2005
    Who's Ben Riley?

(jokingly)

19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Yeah, this is gonna suck.

20. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    bye-bye spidey

21. Jedi_Johnson

Apr 6, 2002
    In the span of a year Marvel has destroyed my favorite comic book character.

RIP Spidey. @};-

22. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    Lame. [face_plain]

23. Darth_Sabith

Oct 17, 2006
    I think in the last 2 years marvel has just been digging a hole for itself and is about ready to jump into....anyone want to throw on the dirt.

24. Jedi_Johnson

Apr 6, 2002
    Marvel has raped my childhood.

25. StarscreamPrime

StarscreamPrime Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2006
    Marvel fans really should've seen it coming, what with how they've been handling nearly ALL of their titles. It's like the company's doing their darndest to drive away as many people as possible.

Sigh... Thank goodness for Thunderbolts, at the VERY least.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.