Amph SPIDER-MAN: The Amazing, Sensational, Friendly Neighborhood Discussion Thread (HTR Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by jacemathem, Jul 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 10
    At least we still have Amazing Spider-Girl.
  2. chiss_man Jedi Master

star 6
    I agree with you on Thunderbolts, it's currently the best title Marvel is putting out IMO.
  3. Ghost Force Ghost

star 7
    That's much more stupid and a far larger let-down than I imagined, I've got to hand it to you Marvel! Not only have you destroyed his only happiness, you've erased his memory of it, and made countless comics worthless. I'm done, I'm terribly disappointed where they have taken Spider-Man in the last few years, and this destroys whatever hope I had left in the writers of Spider-Man. Aunt May would have rather died, I feel, and not cower in the face of death. This is twice now "saving" Aunt May has been tried to serve as a balance to a Parker tragedy. The first was the death of Peter's newborn daughter. This is the second, the erasing of the memory of their entire marriage. She's old, I love her, but let her die already! Let her go! I'd rather have Spider-Man married, raising his daughter, than Aunt May living to 200. It's what Aunt May would have wanted too. What happened to taking RESPONSIBILITY for his actions? You know, what his Uncle Ben and Aunt May taught, "WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT RESPONSIBILITY"?
  4. chiss_man Jedi Master

star 6
    I seem to recall Joey Q saying once that Marvel was different from DC in that it didn't need a "Crisis" to fix things like DC does. Which strikes me as funny now since what they're planning with Pete here sounds exactly like a Crisis-type situation. I wish I could remember where I saw/heard that though...
  5. Jedi_Johnson Jedi Master

star 5
    Until they try and cancel it again. [face_plain]
  6. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 10
    Usually over at Newsarama.

I think Marvel has given up on that. This last time was to relaunch the book with a new title, after all.
  7. chiss_man Jedi Master

star 6
    It might have been on one of his Joe Friday interviews, I only wish I knew which so I could pull the direct quote because I find it highly revelant now.
  8. NJOfan215 Jedi Master

star 5
    Marvel has been making a lot of changes in the past few years. I like how the changes have panned out in the x men side of things. The fall out from civil war has been pretty lame. Besides the death of cap, which was very well done, all we have to show for civil war is a bunch of new books that i don't care about. Is anyone here actualy interested in the champions or the order?

As for spidey, civil war has set up the position that he is in now. If the spoiler for one more day are true, then this whole thing has been a complete waste. How is hitting the reset button developing spiderman as a character, how is it at all true to life? Let's look at spidey's motto, with great power comes great responsability, how is spiderman taking responsability for his actions, if marvel just hits the reset button?
  9. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 10
    Marvel has been messing up with Spider-Man more now, than the creative and editoral teams did in the 90's. The stuff with the Clone Saga didn't turn me off to the books. This stuff, on the other hand, has been turning me off. The only thing that I've liked is May knowing who Peter is now.
  10. NJOfan215 Jedi Master

star 5
    I've only been following spidey since JMS took over. I really loved the book, but i think it started going down hill once spidey joined the avengers. I think the move took away spidey's autonemy.
  11. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 10
    Being part of the Avengers isn't a problem. It's that the Avengers took over "Amazing Spider-Man", replacing his supporting cast save for MJ and May.
  12. NJOfan215 Jedi Master

star 5
    My problem isn't with the cast in the book since he's joined the avengers. My problem is that since the avengers are always in the thick of the big events in the marvel universe, and since spidey is an avenger, AMS is simply being used as a vehical to setup, flesh out, and show the consequences of civil war. The last 19 issues of AMS have been tied to civil war in some aspect. I've always enjoyed spidey the most when the writers are allowed to focus on him and his arc rather than have the plots of thier books pretty much forced on them.
  13. whisperjedi Jedi Youngling

star 2
    My personal feeling is that Spiderman HAS taken a back seat 2 Avengers etc...since creators have (in my guess) completely run dry of ideas for the poor old web-slinger. There's hope with post ONe More Day, and kinda looking forward 2 the new animated series...the only hope for spidey is in some other "media" t.v or internet...comics has run dry for the time being. It's good that Avengers has him...because spiderman would just be an obscure character: doing such things as the monthy marvel team-up..obscure Spiderman...which actually isn't a bad idea...would give the character some rest and then return.

14. Ghost Force Ghost

star 7
    There were possibilities for new ideas with Spider-Man, the problem is that the writers didn't like it. The stopped Spider-Man from growing, and now they have him regressing, and they somehow think that will create more story potential?? No, they stopped Spider-Man from growing, and I don't think giving Spider-Man new costumes and powers qualifies as growing. There could have been fresh ideas if they kept Spider-Man together with Mary Jane, if they didn't kill Spider-Man's daughter, if they introduced new characters and allowed them to grow and be fleshed-out, if they stayed true to the older characters. But no, they've refused to let Spider-Man age, which led to them running out of ideas, which led bizzare and unneeded twists and plots that have done nothing but make things worse.
  15. Darth_Sabith Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I always thought it would have been cool to see spidy trying to keep his secret from his daughter. They could have done more with Ben Reilly I used to love him as spidy while Peter thought he was a clone.
  16. NJOfan215 Jedi Master

star 5
    I agree with darth ghost.

I would like to see aunt may die, and spider-man sucking it up and registering soley to keep MJ safe. One part of growing up is having to do stuff that you really don't want to do. Also this would give spidey the chance to help influence how the intiative progesses from the inside. One way that he could do that is by putting his teaching experiance and his super-hero experiance together to help mold the new heroes of the marvel universe.
  17. Darth_Sabith Jedi Padawan

star 4
    agreed that would have at lest developed his character a bit more.
  18. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    The only good story potential I see here with the reset button is the story of Spidey regaining his knowledge, which will no doubt happen a year or two from now.
  19. Soontir-Fel Jedi Master

star 5
    [image=http://www.geekgasm.com/images/1md-2.jpg]

OH COME ON

THAT IS BEYOND ********

20. Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Agreed. It's a shame, I was actually enjoying the issue up until that scene.
  21. NJOfan215 Jedi Master

star 5
    wow, I've just lost some respect for joe s and joe q.
  22. mandragora Jedi Master

star 4
    Just stumbled on this:

http://www.jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-17697

Thought it might be interesting for you guys - the complete thread is here: http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.comics.marvel.universe/browse_thread/thread/10b63f7595f4c280/348e7656d034224f
  23. Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Yes, this storyline is 100% Quesada. He's been wanting to erase Peter's marriage for years. And apparently everything else that's ever happened in Spider-Man's life.
  24. chiss_man Jedi Master

star 6
    Which they already have in Ultimate Spider-Man. This is totally unnecessary.
  25. NJOfan215 Jedi Master

star 5
    My respect for JMS is restored.

I will not be reading anymore issues of AMS after this last one.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.