main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph SPIDER-MAN: The Amazing, Sensational, Friendly Neighborhood Discussion Thread (HTR Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by jacemathem, Jul 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    But that's not the real Spider-Man, but Ultimate Spider-Man. 616 Spider-Man is, was and will always be the real Spider-Man. And because Joe Quesada hates the marriage with a passion, he has finally gotten his way. I doubt it will be Peter who says yes. He'll say no and it'll be MJ. That's the change.

I can handle what's going on in Hulk, X-Men and Punisher. But not this. I'll stick with DC, which I never thought I would say. At least the higher ups there have respect for the Lois and Clark relationship to turn down attempts to undo it.

2. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    The thing is, Spider-Man has been married for TWENTY YEARS now. (Note that's out time, not comic time). Quesada is literally re-writing 20 years of comics history. Frankly, I think it's inexcusable. Next he'll be saying "You know, I've never liked the fact that Prof. X was bald, let's have someone go back in time and give him hair plugs." or "Reed Richards and Sue Storm should never have had kids, let's undo that." Even if he is EiC, he shouldn't have the power to underwrite so much. Especially since it looks as if he forced JMS to write it under protest.

3. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Which is funny because "One More Day" was his idea.

4. StarscreamPrime

StarscreamPrime Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2006
    I've been catching up with this thread, and I agree with your statement, Sinister. Sure, DC has occasionally mishandled Lois and Clark, but as of yet, they have YET to royally screw things up like Marvel is dead set on doing.

5. whisperjedi

whisperjedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 19, 2005
    Yesterday...I made an impulsive and impromptu purchase of "Spider-Man the Icon" hardcover book. I was debating on getting the latest "One-more day" book or that...flipped thru the book (comic) and concluded "Icon" was a better purchase...and worthwhile read...accidently scanned Mephisto stating his offer 2 the Parkers....that's all I needed 2 know. I will "tentatively" walk away from "Spider-man" for awhile or til I complete the hardcover...hopefully by then the comics will be interesting again.

6. jacemathem

jacemathem Jedi Master star 5

Oct 3, 2003
    This trully, royally sucks...

But I'm wondering if the events of Civil War, including Spidey's unmasking, will remain intact...

7. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    I don't see how they can. It was the unmasking that led to Aunt May being shot. And that's what got us in this mess to begin with.

8. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    They're undoing, as far as I know, the whole unmasking.

9. StarscreamPrime

Dec 9, 2006
    If that indeed proves true, then Marvel essentially is erasing one of the key moments of the "Civil War" storyline, and proving how truly inept the company can be.

10. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    The unmasking is really the only thing I've liked about Spider-Man recently, too. I really hate all this time-travel, alternate universes, stuff.

11. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Spoilers for those who really want to know....

Homer Simpson: "The deed is done."

They went ahead and did it. And not only did they undo the marriage, but they reversed time so that Harry Osborn is alive. But not with Liz Allen. And Peter's web shooters were seen. So it is 1981 all over again.

12. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    It's funny. They've essentially turned ASM into Ultimate Spidey...on the same day that USM killed off Harry.

13. RogueSquadronWingnut

RogueSquadronWingnut Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2002
    And so ends all business I have with Marvel.
    DC Only from now on.

14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I was expecting this, but I'm still so mad. Maybe one of the reasons they've been giving us so many ****** stories is so we'll supposedly welcome the rewind back to the early 80's? But does this mean Gwen Stacy still had Norman's kids? [face_worried] Wait, Gwen Stacy still died, right? [face_worried] [face_worried] [face_worried]

15. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    Well now i have three open spots on my pull list.

16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Here's what we get in BND in exchance for the marriage.Preview How could Spider-Man have survived without these new villains, which of course required Spider-Man to be single in order to pop into existence?

17. StarscreamPrime

Dec 9, 2006
    In a way, these updates make me happy in that I've made sure not to invest too much time, and money, following a trainwreck of a story. (Usually my Spidey fix comes in issues of "Spider Man Family", which thankfully is FUN to read.)

Outside of said title, and these three items in particular:
    -Anything to do with "Marvel Zombies"
    -"Thunderbolts"
    -Interesting "Essentials" collections

... I'm still staying tried and true to the DC universe.

18. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    PAPER DOLL
    APPEARS IN: May?s Amazing Spider-Man #559
    ?Usually you?ll have supervillains who use their powers to make crimes or try to take over the world or take revenge,? says Slott. ?Paper Doll is a supervillain who uses her power for a whole new obsession. Her particular brand of obsession will be very much fed by Peter Parker and a horrible choice he makes.?

What, like making a DEAL WITH THE DEVIL?!

Make Mine DC (and Dark Horse).

19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Over 3,000 people have said that they're not happy on Newsarama's poll. Many on other boards have made their feelings known. And on Comic Book Resources, Quesada said that this was the perfect way to end the marriage. To put a stake through the heart. He also pretty much says that he's doing this for the new generation of fans. Let me tell you, he's shot himself in the foot.

First, what new fans? The industry is limited enough as it is in locales. Second, once these new fans come in, they're going to find out through trades and Wikipedia, as well as message boards about the whole deal. Third, I could very well see a repeat of the Clone Saga again. I like the talent they've got, but they'll be overshadowed by a decision that is not universally popular.

20. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    Wasn't Ultimate Spider-Man for the "new generation" of fans?

21. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    The thing is, the "new fans" and basically everyone born in the last 20 years has grown up with and is used to Spider-Man being married to Mary Jane. Really, it's been like a Spider-Man fact for my whole life, it was even in the animated TV show!

22. JediOverlord

JediOverlord Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2000
    This is why I don't read Marvel and DC superhero stuff anymore.

Make Mine Dark Horse!

23. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    The issue where Peter and Mary-Jane got married was released in 1987. Quesada has literally re-written 20 years of Spider-Man history.

24. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Yeah, but we don't count because we're selfish.

Rumor has it that the Ultimate line might be ending.

It might be even further back. 25 or 27 years.

25. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    In today's CBR interview, Quesada reveals that one of the things he originally wanted to do was resurrect Gwen Stacy. Yeah, you heard right. But he got turned down. So it's not 1981, that he wants to relive. It's 1973.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.