main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Spider-Man, The Hulk, Or Daredevil?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Mertroid, Jul 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crimson

Crimson Jedi Master star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    Batman. Michael Keaton style.

2. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    DareDevil then the Hulk.
    I can't stand Spider-man that movie totally ruined his charecter. Not to mention it started that crappy MTV TV series.

3. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001

Well, as far as the comics go, Daredevil takes the cake but in the film world, I think the Hulk had the most quality.

~PAd

4. bountyhunter2999

bountyhunter2999 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    Frankly, I didn't enjoy any of the movies.

But, I really like the characters themselves.

I don't think ANY movie based on a comic book character has really captured the greatness of that particular comic book hero.

5. Goo_Child

Goo_Child Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    Daredevil for sure. He just felt more real than the others. It didn't hurte that the movie had the most beautiful woman in the world in it.

6. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    Katie Holmes was in DareDevil? I didn't know that.

7. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    I feel Spider-man was probably the best, considering i can relate to Peter a lot. However, The Hulk had the coolest action, but it was very, very slow for the first 40 mins.

I never got to go see DD at the cinema because I wasn't 15 then, so I just bought it when it came to DVD and I've only watched it once. I really like it though but I'm not sure if it's the best film out of the three. As many of you are saying though, DD is the most believeable (well, apart from Bullseye, really the Matt Murdock storyline) and that's why I like that so much.

X-Men is the ultimate though, can't beat X-Men.

8. Rogue_Granger

Rogue_Granger Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2003
    The Only thing I like about DD was Elektra and bullseye...
    I love that she fought with Sais(my fav weapon)

and I just love Colin Farrell ;)

9. Mertroid

Mertroid Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 29, 2002
    Spider-Man all the way! Loved the action, always have been a Spidey fan and watching the cartoons and reading the comics. Tobey was great as Spidey and looking forward to number two! :D

Daredevil, Bulls Eye was stupid with throwing things and he lived in the credits you saw. That movie could've been done way better! Elektra was pretty cool, but I dunno, it could've been better.

The Hulk, they could've had more action and it was too intelligent and all. They could've done a better job with it. The Hulk looked cool, but all he did was jump around and stuff. With bending the gun to the guys face was pretty cool though on the tank.

10. MidnightRain

MidnightRain Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2003
    I would say Spider-Man. I just connected with the characters better. I enjoyed Daredevil, but think I would have enjoyed it more if I had been a bit more familiar with the comics. And The Hulk...well, that's something that never really appealed to me, so I wasn't surprised that I didn't like it very much.

11. Mertroid

Mertroid Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 29, 2002
    Yeah I know. It was hard to connect with Daredevil and The Hulk for I never read the comics, but I had seen maybe only a couple shows of the Hulk. Spidey would be the best.

12. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    'Spider-Man' was the best movie. It had a consistent tone, some great acting, and characters that I really love (and this coming from an anti-Marvel guy [face_laugh]). My only complaints (alas, I even complain about stuff I love :p) was the lousy music, the corny love dialogue and the overuse of Matrix-style slow-mos/bullet time or whatver the hell it's called. And if I'm in a nitpicking mood, I'd also ask how the hell did Parker get the costume :p Thumbs up to the Osborns, they stole the show as far as I'm concerned. Indeed, the main reason for me to watch the Spidey sequel is to see how Harry wil have his revenge against Spider-Man. Looking forward to that.

Hulk was inconsistent. One moment, it's a serious father-son drama. And hey, it's great drama, thanks largely to Nick Nolte as David Banner. He had the best line ("My son is unique...and because he is unique, the world will not tolerate his existance!") Next moment, the story came to a stop as we see ILM showcasing their FX. Yup, marvel (pun unintended :p) at the same people who designed Jar Jar and the CGI Scorpion King. To top it off, the annopying fancy schmancy split screens. All this 'kewl' stuff might impress the MTV generation, but alas I'm just a bitter cynical geek who wouldn't know 'kewl' even if it smashed me in the face with a green fist. Moreover, the character of David Banner was destroyed when they decided to make him into just another CGI villain for the big fight at the end...arghhh! Why???? Stupid CGI dogs not enough??? The parts with Nick Nolte are still great, worth a second viewing at least, if only the Hulk parts were more consistent with the tone of the rest of the movie. Oh, and Danny Elfman should retire, his music is lousy now. I thought he'd bounce back after the lousy work in 'Spider-Man' but nope, he still hasn't done anything good since 'Sleepy Hollow' (which was also the last Burton movie that I enjoyed).

Daredevil...meh, already said much, earned the hatred of Marvel fans, etc etc. Let me just say that the only good thing to come out of this crap is the fact that Evanescene (sp?) became famous thanks to the movie (though it's too bad that they will forever be associated with the movie, considering the band has potential and should be recognized on their own merits, not because of association with a damn lousy movie).

13. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Yup, marvel (pun unintended ) at the same people who designed Jar Jar and the CGI Scorpion King.

You seem to be forgetting Watto, Yoda, Taun We, Lama Su, Poggle the Lesser, Dexter Jettster, and Sebulba, and I would imagine you did it purposely. For shame ;)

earned the hatred of marvel fans

Err...what? It grossed $102 million dollars and has a B average at Yahoo out of 730 average viewers. Where's the hatred? 8-}

14. kampilan

kampilan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    Spider-Man

Loved almost everything in Spider-Man and I actually enjoyed DD even though I wasn't impressed with Colin Farrell's Bullseye and the Kingpin was just "okay".

Haven't seen Hulk yet...probably worth a rental?

15. TK_Four_Two_One

TK_Four_Two_One Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2002
    Spiderman is okay but I preferred Daredevil! Though Colin Farrell stole the show!

The Hulk... pure drivel with KERAP CGI and terrible, TERRIBLE acting!!! I LOVED the series as a kid but this was terrible.

16. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    Err...what? It grossed $102 million dollars and has a B average at Yahoo out of 730 average viewers. Where's the hatred?

No no, I earned the hatred of Marvel fans at 'Community' for voicing out against that crappy movie. The same way I earned the hatred of comic fans in general for being the only one who dares to voice that Frank "patron saint for fanboys" Miller is an overhyped hack.

*hides*

:p

You seem to be forgetting Watto, Yoda, Taun We, Lama Su, Poggle the Lesser, Dexter Jettster, and Sebulba, and I would imagine you did it purposely

Watto = decent, the best of the lot that you mentioned. Though it's probably because I love the voice taht cause me to be more fond of this character. From a purely CGI view, it's as cartoony as most of ILM's stuff

Yoda = puppet was better, and I'm not even counting the "Yoda becomes Sonic" scene [face_plain]

Taun We = is that the long necked one who seems to be attracted to Obi Wan? [face_laugh] Nothing impressive about it, other than the long neck [face_laugh]

Lama Su = Is this the other long necked one? (and was it this one who was attracted to Kenobi, not the other one? I'm confused :p) Again, nothing impressive about it

Poogle the Lesser = this one is about the same quality as those Anubis soldiers thingy

Dexter = sucks. I'd rather watch the Cartoon Network Dexter ;) In the scene featuring Dexter, I'm much more impresssed with how Ewan has learned to interact with CGI characters and tolerate blue screens and such, in TPM he was clearly very uncomfortable with those elements. The CGI itself isn't anything to shout about.

Sebulba = on second thought, when I saw this guy, I thought I was watching Cartoon Network. Thus is the fate of Star Wars :(

17. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    Hulk. It felt like something abit different. I loved it all, but for the ending. And that seemed a little better on the second viewing.

Spiderman. It took me the my third viewing on DVD before I liked it. Before that I couldn't really care less about it, which was strange as I felt it was trying to make a real effort to make us like the characters. But I hope we see more of SM than Parker in the second film.

Daredevil. Won't see it again in quite some time, luck permitting. I thought this was dreadful stuff. Very dull to me.

18. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    Blade 2
    Oh, I have to pick between those three, ok.

Blade 1. Those three all sucked.

The Blade movies were pure crap! Even DareDevil was better! :D

Spider-Man was pure cheese. Watch the final confrontation between Spider-Man and the Green Goblin and you'll understand what I'm talking about.

Thats, like, the way it happened in the comics...dude.

19. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    The Blade movies were pure crap! Even DareDevil was better!

I've never seen or heard of this DareDevil everyone keeps talking about. I have seen the movie Daredevil basied on the Marvel comic of the same name though [face_mischief] :p

Anyways Daredevil had the same problem that the Hulk did IMO. It was a good movie until it became a comic book movie. Yes Daredevil probably was one of the best comic film of the year (it was especialy nice to see a comic book movie where the director loved the character. Did you notice how every name mentioned was either a former Daredevil artist or writer?) but look at what it was up against.

Blade on the other hand made no excuses for what it was. A fun, action filled, comic film and IMO it worked.

BTW Wizard (the major comic magazine in the US) voted Blade as the 5th best comic movie Daredevil on the other hand came in at 22nd ;)

20. Nightowl

Nightowl TFN Timetales Writer star 4 VIP

Jul 8, 1998
    For whatever it's worth, true believers, the Man Without Fear will soon get a second chance to prove himself. I read in Cinescape today that writer/director Mark Steven Johnson is putting the finishing touches on a director's cut of Daredevil to debut on DVD sometime next year. The film's going from 1 hour 43 minutes to around 2 hours 32 minutes. Your guess is as good as mine what's in the extra hour of footage.

21. Waning Drill

Waning Drill Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 30, 1999
    If someone other than Ben had been cast and all those annoying music video montages had been erased from the film, Daredevil would take the cake. The casting (aside from Affleck) was great, the directing and action sequences were better than anything else to come out last spring, and the acting and storyboards were fine (again, Affleck excluded). As it is it's probably the best R-rated comic book flick since The Crow.

Spider-Man was more of a family flick, which isn't surprising in itself, but I expected something a little more edgier and grounded from the director of Evil Dead and The Gift. The Hulk was constructed well, but it was about 45 minutes too long.

22. PlastiqPhantom

PlastiqPhantom Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2002
    The most entertaining, I would have to say is Daredevil. I absolutely loved this film. Saw it seven times, paid for each one, even paid for my entire family once. I thought this film was a great entertaining popcorn flick. Ben Affleck did very well as Matt Murdock and Jennifer Garner played off him very well. They had such great chemistry together. Colin Farrell was fun and Michael Clarke Duncan was just big and awesome. The movie had just about everything you would want in a popcorn flick, action, romance, drama, comedy, and of course, more action. Fun fun fun, can't wait for the sequel 8 out of 10.

I thought the Hulk was spectacular. I am one of the few people that actually thought it was very fast paced. I thought the editing style of the film really helped speed everything along at a wonderfully. There were moments that could be cut out, but still I thought the comic book idea really helped give the film a surge of energy. Eric Bana was damn good, Jennifer Connelly was also good, I really liked Nick Nolte, and Sam Elliot rules. Great special FX, way better than Gollum in my opinion. I thought the hulk looked the closet to real more than any other cg character. Ang Lee's direction was brilliant and I do hope they make a sequel. 9 out of 10.

Spider-man was a good film. It followed the comic pretty well. The direction from Sam Raimi is the best part of this film. I believe that without his direction the film probably would not have done as well as it did. He really understands Spider-man and what people want from a Spider-man film. Tobey Maguire was ok, he wasn't great, but he wasn't bad. I wish a different actress had been cast as Mary Jane, but Kirsten Dunst was just fine. Willem Dafoe was hilarious; I absolutely loved the way he played the Green Goblin. I thought he was as fun as could be, but still played the role down to earth. I can't wait for S-M 2, Doc Ock looks amazing and it already sounds like it will be much better. I'd give Spider-man an 8 of 10.

By the way, Danny Elfman's score for both Hulk and Spider-man were damn good. And Daredevil deserves a nod from the Academy Awards for best sound and sound editing. Hulk deserves one for Special effects and editing.

Just my 2 cents.

23. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    I've never seen or heard of this DareDevil everyone keeps talking about. I have seen the movie Daredevil basied on the Marvel comic of the same name though

Weezer, I assume you're referring to the use of 2 capital D's in his name. That would probably have something to do with the 2 capital D's on his chest. [face_mischief]

24. Jedi-Monkey

Jedi-Monkey Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2002
    Well, out of these three I would have to say Hulk is my favorite. But that might be because he's also my favorite comic out of these three. If we were to expand the list to include all Marvel films, then Hulk would probably still be at the top, but the first Blade movie would be right up there with it.

Of course, if we were talking about all comic book based movies, then Superman is the winner, hands down. But Hulk would still be in the top five, at the very least.

25. TheVioletBurns

TheVioletBurns Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    I don't think ANY movie based on a comic book character has really captured the greatness of that particular comic book hero.

I agree.

I've enjoyed the recent onslaught of Marvel movies as much as the next person, but NONE so far have successfully captured all (or even any) what makes each respective character so enduring.

I think Daredevil is the most prime example of this. Don't get me wrong, I liked the movie, but the Matt Murdock of the comics has ten times more depth and personality - as hard as Affleck tried, he just couldn't pull off the required intensity for the part.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.