main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So NV Spiderman 2 Movie Thread

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Axia_Euxine, Jul 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Axia_Euxine

Axia_Euxine Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 25, 2003
    Did anyone else see Spiderman 2 yet?

2. Acthar_Sm-Ith

Acthar_Sm-Ith Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2002
    can't say i have. i will tonight.

3. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    I don't know when I'll see it. NO SPOILERS!

How about, if you want to post spoilers, black it out like this.

It's easy. Just put hl=black in brackets. Then at the end of the spoiler put /hl in brackets.

I heard Ebert said it was the best superhero film he's ever seen... and he saw X-Men 2 so that says a lot!

4. Acthar_Sm-Ith

May 23, 2002
    SPOILERS:

Big spoilers look really dumb on little cars. please don't get huge spoilers unless you are driving an indy car.

5. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    Ebert's Review

A few key quotes:

"Spider-Man 2" is the best superhero movie since the modern genre was launched with "Superman" (1978).

The movie demonstrates what's wrong with a lot of other superhero epics: They focus on the superpowers, and short-change the humans behind them. (Has anyone ever been more boring, for instance, than Clark Kent or Bruce Wayne?)

I was disappointed by the original "Spider-Man" (2002), and surprised to find this film working from the first frame. Sam Raimi, the director of both pictures, this time seems to know exactly what he should do, and never steps wrong in a film that effortlessly combines special effects and a human story...

Spider-Man 2" is in another category: It's a real movie, full-blooded and smart, with qualities even for those who have no idea who Stan Lee is. It's a superhero movie for people who don't go to superhero movies, and for those who do, it's the one they've been yearning for.

6. Axia_Euxine

Mar 25, 2003
    ummmm I wouldnt get too wrapped up in the reviews for Spiderman2, Xmen 2 is by far still the best Superhero movie out there. It had the perfect blend of human story telling and superheroness that ebert seems to think Spidey 2 has.

Spiderman 2 was long, drawn out, slow and downright boring in some places. Character development is good, character development at the sacrifice of good movie pacing very, very bad. Its like all the elements for a reat film were there they just forgot to sew them all together. This is the first time I can ever remember wishing a movie was shorter, by the end I just wanted it to end becuase I was more interested in getting something to eat thean one more slow scene in this movie.

Doc Ock feels like an after thought in this movie too. Oh wait peter parker has been whining for 3 hours we need a villian.

I wouldnt listen to people like Ebert, I doubt they understand this genre. His comments about how Boring Clark Kent and Bruce Wayne are is a perfect example of his ignorance in this area.

and people who dont know who Stan Lee is shouldn't see Spiderman, but thats just me. :)

7. DarthDarkstar

DarthDarkstar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    Yay now I dont feel bad for hating this movie. I was so bored I was chewing on my shirt collar. I appreciate a good drama and a boring movie occasionally, however, when I want to watch a comic book movie, I want to watch a comic book movie.

I feel that Spiderman 2 has gone the way of the Hulk.

8. Talon_Wolfe

Talon_Wolfe Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 8, 2002
    SPOILERS IN THIS POST:

I thought the amount of story telling about Bruce Banner in the Hulk was okay, as it was an origin piece.

Spiderman 2 was waaaaaaay overboard on the emotional conflict thing. Yes, there is conflict, but you don't have to prove it in scene after scene after scene after scene... Although I vaguely remember this kind of angst constantly showing through in the comics, issue after issue.

But, I did like the movie, not as much as the first. Now the stage is set for us to MOVE ON. Mary Jane knows about his secret, Aunt May is in an apartment, Young Osborne is now set to become the new Green Goblin, Mary Jane and him are official, etc. etc. etc.

Now let's get to some good ol' superhero vs. supervillian and the city/country/earth hangs in the balance.

BTW, was there a Stan Lee cameo?

9. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    Actually Harry Osborne becomes the Hobgoblin, so I think we'll see a change in color scheme in the next movie.

Spiderman 2 was awesome! A bit long, sure, but Peter Parker was always a whiner, from the comics to the animated series, he was always moaning about Mary Jane and Aunt May and everything. While it did seem a bit overdone in this movie, it wasn't so bad that it took me away from the story... in fact, it was the story!

I thought they handled Doc Ock perfectly... classic man vs. machine internal struggle. It was like 2001 if Dave and HAL had inhabited the same body.

Sam Raimi's style is still shining through. I don't know if you guys notice it, but I see simalarities in filmmaking style from Army of Darkness and Evil Dead 2 to these Spiderman movies, especially the fight scenes. If you watch the Army of Darkness Pit scene, then Spiderman's Green Goblin's last fight scene, and Spiderman 2's Doc Ock awakens in the hospital scene, you'll notice the similarities in the cinematography.

Oh, and Stan Lee pulled a lady out of the way of falling debris in the scene where Doc Ock and Spidey were fighting over Aunt May on the building. In the credits, he's listed as Man Dodging Debris.

Anyone notice Phil Lamarr was in the film? He was on the train in the scenes where Spiderman was on the front, trying to stop the train by holding his webs. He had no lines and wasn't even listed in the Train Passengers credit.

10. Talon_Wolfe

Apr 8, 2002
    Bruce Campbell was in it, too. The annoying usher.

11. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    Can I say that I love Bruce Campbell without people thinking there's something off about me? I should be getting Bubba Ho-Tep from Netflix in a couple days.

Oh, and even IMDB doesn't show Phil Lamarr in this film, but I SAW HIM! I mean, he had a speaking role in Pulp Fiction for gosh shakes!

12. Luminara_Jade

Luminara_Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2004
    i liked it. i thought there was good character development, great fights (especially the awakening of the new and improved doc ock) and funny one liners. what else do you guys want out of a movie? seriously? does every movie have to have you on the brink of crapping yourselves? :D yeah, i new you guys all said yes...hehe i liked it and so did petra. i have yet to hear ekrin's opinion since he is still asleep.

13. Petra_Blakkwing

Petra_Blakkwing Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    hello again...i did not die...i just now got internet hooked up in my apartment....anyways......i liked Spiderman 2......no complaints..... but i heard that there was only going to be 3 Spidey movies....so sad..... did you guys see Hal Sparks???!!! he was my favorite cameo...bwahahahaha....

14. Acthar_Sm-Ith

May 23, 2002
    you honestly belive that they are only going to make 3 of these movies? it is like they are printing their own money here. they will drive this whole series into the ground like they did with batman. The fundamental problem of comic book movies is that they keep killing the bad guys. in Batman, who is his archnemesis? the joker. but he is dead. so you can't use him any more. catwoman? dead. penguin? dead. mr freeze. gone. riddler? kaput. Poison ivy? no more. twoface? kicked the bucket. Bane? nope. who is left? not a whole lot of memorable characters. I know in spider man the green goblin dies. and he did in te movie, but doc. ock should still be around to use in later movies. i think that having that kind of resolution is just crappy.

15. Jankarakk

Jankarakk Jedi Master star 4

Aug 27, 2003
    They could always go the way of horror movies...the bad guy always dies at the end...but poof there he is right back for doin some more killing in the next one.

16. Acthar_Sm-Ith

May 23, 2002
    I *guess* doc ock *could* have survived. but i seriously doubt it. I think they just tried to shove 20 years of comics into 2 hours and have a happy resolution.

17. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    Alls I'm gonna say is that we never actually see Doc Ock die... just sinking, looking up to the surface. Movie characters have come back with less than that.

As far as running it into the ground... maybe, but I predect it'll take more movies than Batman did to tank this series. Come on,at Batman Forever we realized it wa the begining of the end. I'd say 2 or 3 more movies before we say the same thing about Spider-Man.

18. Axia_Euxine

Mar 25, 2003
    first of all the Batman series tanked on the second movie, thats funny, so did Spiderman.

19. GersonSith

GersonSith Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2002
    So I finally have the chance to go out and see a movie again. And I'm torn between Spider-man 2 and King Arthur. Normally I'd choose Spidey 2 with no hesitation, but all you people make me want to go see King A instead. Dang you people and your movie critiques!

20. GersonSith

GersonSith Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2002
    I just reread ebert's review and this line stood out:

The movie demonstrates what's wrong with a lot of other superhero epics: They focus on the superpowers

What the crap is this? Why would a superhero movie not focus on superpowers? Thats what makes it a superhero movie. If I wanted some human realness I wouldn't be going to the movies in the first place. Humans are boring, superheroes are cool!

21. Axia_Euxine

Mar 25, 2003
    Well if Arthur sucks you at least get to look at Kiera Knightly alot. Spiderman doesnt have this. Thers also bound to be a sword fight or two in King Arhtur, again Spiderman is lacking in the Sword fight area.

I hear that Arthur is in a significant portion of "King Arthur" where Spiderman only makes guests appearances in "Spiderman 2".

22. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    I don't understand you people... not at all. Spiderman 2 was so RAD! It had a few minor flaws, sure, but not every movie has to be perfect... in fact, no movie is perfect! I'd rather see Spiderman 2 than King Arthur any day.

Think about it this way: If they didn't make the point of why Spider-Man should keep going and not give up in this movie, then every movie afterwards it would be the same thing. "Aww, gee MJ, I can't go out with you. I've got things to do... (I hate being Spider-Man)." They finished it in this movie, so that the next movie can be Spider-Man with little angst, and a whole lotta butt-kicking potential.

23. Talon_Wolfe

Apr 8, 2002
    Don't get me wrong, I liked the movie. I just think they went a little overboard on the human factor.

24. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    This movie showed Peter Parker's world crashing down. He was fired, failing school, the girl he loved was betrothed to someone else, his best friend turning on him, his Aunt being evicted, and his superpowers failing. The thing about it was it wasn't just all these things, but how they all happened right after each other, like dominos. To some, it seemed like it was just "overdone" or "heavy-handed", but that's what it took to finally have this kid throw in the towel. He quit! And after a half an hour of that humiliation, any one of us would have quit too. And then, he comes back!

This shows Peter Parker, not Spider-Man, as a hero. That he's willing to give up any chance at a content life to fight for the innocent people of New York. The story wasn't about Doc Ock Vs. Spider-Man, because THAT would get old. They packed so much human senseabilities into that movie, and then still had some awesome fight scenes. I mean that train scene was wicked!

Don't put this movie down for trying to show the good side of human nature just because you want Mortal Kombat. This movie was great!

25. Talon_Wolfe

Apr 8, 2002
    Well.... Doc Oc only robbed one bank. I would have liked to have seen more Doc Oc villainy to support his fusion project. Imagine him ripping off another bank and maybe an armored car, and Spider Man tries to thwart him each time. Keep all the human factor scenes, but just add that. That would have been a little better, IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.