main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So NV Spiderman 2 Movie Thread

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Axia_Euxine, Jul 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Talon_Wolfe

Talon_Wolfe Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 8, 2002
    Plus, do you really thing being 'conflicted' emotionally would kill off Spider-Man's powers?

2. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    As for his failing powers, I don't think we ever find out what is going on, only that he must concentrate to keep them working.

3. Axia_Euxine

Axia_Euxine Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 25, 2003
    Ill make a longer post here later but that thing about him losing his powers was just stupid! That movie was frigging boring.

4. Axia_Euxine

Mar 25, 2003
    I wish I had seen the movie everyone else seem to have seen. This movie was boring. The movie just dragged on and on and on and on. Waaaaaay too much time spent on Peter Parker's problems. We got most of that in the first film, did we really need to be pounded over the head with in this one as well?

If he wants to protect Mary Jane why is he studying poetry to win her? That makes no sense. The writing was bad and very clunky and the pacing of the film was god awful. It just dragged on and on and on. I cant make this point enough. Its a super hero movie, it needs to be exciting, not put me to sleep.

The fight scenes with Doc oc were amazing but by the time they got to them I just didnt care. They were also waaaaaay to short. Also Doc Oc felt like an after thought with all the whining about MJ that Peter does.

The train scene... meh. the fight on the train was good but the slowing it down was stupid. Attach the webs to the frgigging train! Keep your mask on. And the whole crowd surfing thing, what was that?

And whats with him constantly taking off his mask? God that irritated me! Its a secret identity people! Half of New York knows who he is.

Him loosing his powers? Becuase he is depressed? That was just lame. lame. lame. lame.

And Doc OC has control over his tentacles whats this talking to them crap? This has nothing to do with Doc Oc in the comics. Theres none of the idependent A.I. garbage.

And that anorexic blond and the chocolate cake? What is that about? I forget her name in the film but it didnt strike me as Gwen Stacy or something like that.

This movie was boring people, what film did you see? I wanted to see a Spiderman film, not a peter parker film with special guest appearance by Spiderman. I was really hyped about this film and was sorely dissapointed in it. Dont get me wrong I love character develop and I am always complaining about the lack of depth in action films but this one went waaaaaay over what would have been a good balance.

The X-Men movies are a good balance of action and character development. Although I liked the first Spiderman it was an origin film. I expected somewhat slower pacing in the first half of that film.

When I saw the full trailer for Spidey 2 I was afraid the Peter angst, Im quitting thing would take up a large portion of the film. I was wrong, it took up a ridiculous amount of the film. I was really shocked at how boring this film was. I never expected that. Im really dissapointed and Im also dissapointed in how much money this movie is making. It will only reinforce this type of badly-paced, poorly written, death-by-bordom movie.

and why is it everytime I complain about a movie someone throws that "perfect" line in my face? I cant think of a single perfect movie. All movies have thier little issues. If the sum of it parts outweighs its flaws then I dont care.

T2 is one of my all time favorite movies despite the whopper of a continuinty flaw that negates the whole film.

5. GersonSith

GersonSith Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2002
    So I just got back from seeing Spider-man 2. I was disappointed, but not as much as I could have been because of the things posted here. I enjoy a good story, but this is a superhero comic book movie. I was bummed that the whole middle dragged on forever. There really should have been more Doc in there. And why did they make peter so freaking poor. I thought it was funny that he was late everywhere and comments about how tired he looked, but c'mon he's a freaking genius who can pretty much do anything having to do with science. He definitely shouldn't have lost his powers, I mean did his blood stop pumping? I understand the giving up for a while thing, but they went overboard. I think Aunt May and Mary Jane were the heros in this movie. And why did they make Doc a good guy? He's supposed to be a supervillain!

6. Axia_Euxine

Mar 25, 2003
    Told ya to go see Arthur.

7. Axia_Euxine

Mar 25, 2003
    OMG This is SO great! This is another version of Spidey 2. You must check this out! Trust me you wont regret it. This is a link directly to the video, slower systems make take a moment for it to load click here Now THIS is a good movie.

8. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    That was awesome... that is all I can say... awesome.

9. Talon_Wolfe

Apr 8, 2002
    That is GREAT.

10. Luminara_Jade

Luminara_Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2004
    hey, i didn't give you the "perfect line"! i just said that every movie isn't going to bring you to the brink of crapping yourself... :D but you realize this, im sure! hehe...i was really surprised you didn't like it. sure, there could have been a little less talking, more fighting...but maybe it's cause im a girl, but i really liked the movie...i can't wait for Spidey-3!! woot!

11. kampilan

kampilan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    I loved this movie so much I saw it 3 times already and still getting teary-eyed in the same scenes. I don't think there were any real over the top scenes or lines at all. This is a very deep movie and really carries the essence of the old school Spidey comics I used to read. I love how they show the reactions of different people who actually think Spidey is making a world of difference. Sony is making the films a love story that just happens to feature a super hero. In the comics nowadays its all Venom and Carnage crap that sell. Well, there are quite a few quality Spidey books out there like Ultimate SM, Marvel Age, MK Spider-Man, and Amazing SM.

I did notice Phil LeMarr in the train. Maybe he was a last minute extra that just loved Spider-Man and didn't care to be added to the list of credits? Maybe it was just credit error.

I think it would be really nice to have some artists and writers get actual cameos in the films (like Stan Lee)besides in-joke references(Ditkovitch, the apartment manager). Artists like John Romita, JRJR, Mark Bagley...

SM2 is kicking major butt at the box office because it has all the right elements in it.

I loved seeing Alex Ross' paintings in the opening credits! He did some pre-prod work for the first film that didn't really get noticed so it was great that he was asked to be involved in this one again.

The Orleans has a large inflated Spidey on the front of the building. Any other theater have the same prop?

EDIT: Spider-Man did decide to hang up the costume in Amazing SM Vol.1 #50. Nice cover btw. Not sure if the reason was because his powers were fading in and out but it was great to see the story element added on to film.

12. Talon_Wolfe

Apr 8, 2002
    Great post, Kampilan!

I too used to read Spidey back in the day, and his conflict and angst certainly were reflected well in the film. I just wish there was some more action, some more crimes committed by Doc Oc before Spidey got to him, that kind of thing.

13. Inaen

Inaen Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 17, 2002
    OK, My wife and I were busy over the weekend seeing King Arthur and Spidey 2 and this is my review of them:
    Possible spoilers-------->

King Arthur:

This movie was based more on latest historical finds (what ever those may be "Hey Look! An old Pot!") that placed the time period a good 1000 years before the popular story. Based on this fact, I must say this was a well made movie. Guinevere wasnt done well (being clean and having clean tatoos and riske' battle garb opposed to the rest of her people being dirty with smudges everywhere and in much more leather) IMO but who she was according to this movie was cool (plus Kiera Knightly is pretty). The casting was done will as Clive Owen did capture the essence of the imagined Arthur character and there was real chemistry between the knights that followed him. The action was alittle muted to mantain the pg-13 rating but I think they shoulve gone all the way and received the R rating. The fight scenes were about the same type yo might see on PBS or some history channel medival war recreation show (man swings his sword in a downward arch across the chest of the victim who then spreads his arms wide, head back and falling as a slained opponent. It was cool how ever to see ladies fighting along side men though and Gwen does get dirty in the fighting alittle.
    Over all, it was a good experience and i reccommend it.

Spidey-2

First of all this is a review from a non-spiderman comic book collector nor reader.

READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

I think spiderman was a balanced effort of drama and action. For those who are interested in the development of Peter and his life situation, it fulfilled the expectation. The movie showed the true new york culture well I believed there was a real Human element to the movie that may have been lost if more action would've been added. Also, I must say Ive never seen extras used so well as in this movie...almost all the extras who were being affected by whatever was happenning had a line that was either funny or added to the scene. Especially the women who screamed at the movie screen, its like what you may have seen in the pages of a comic book. Casting wise, Peter's boss at the Newspaper..(Ack! whatts his name?) to me was as good as Profesor X is in X-Men. Perfect and made for the part. Doc-Oc was well made and had depth. The only complaint was how he was able to hold up those tentacles...i believe them to be alittle too heavy to just wrap to his waist and attach to his spine with out ripping it right out and breaking his back. Anyway..i still dont like Kirsten Dunst as MJ. Even though she is an OK actress..Bad csting IMO. but then again I didnt really know much about who MJ was in the books. Ive only seen the cartoon and I dont really remember her much from it.

Over all, good movie and one i would watch again if given the chance.

14. Axia_Euxine

Mar 25, 2003
    I liked King Arthur. But Ive always dug the story of King Arthur. The only version of it I didnt like was First Knight, what a pile that was.

As for Spiderman.... Ive already said a bunch of things about it but thanks for reminding me about the screaming blond, I thought that was lame too.

As far as the physics of Doc Oc tentacles.... stuff like that you have to ingore. If they paid attention to all physics with superhero powers it would never work.

examples

The Hulk launches himself off the top of a building to land several miles away. The building could not take that kind of pressure and would collapse underneath him

Superman stops a speeding train. He would be neck deep in earth by the time the train stopped

Shadowcat phases through a wall. So she sepreates her molecules to pass through the spaces of the molecules in the object she is phasing through. So how do her molecules phase back together if the molecules of her brain that would give that command are also spread out?

You get the idea. Things like this must be ignored in comics.

15. Talon_Wolfe

Apr 8, 2002
    Maybe Superman stops the train by using his flying power against it as well, thus he does not sink.

I want to know how Spidey can stick to stuff when he is wearing gloves or sneakers.

16. Axia_Euxine

Mar 25, 2003
    Exactly my point. No spidey sticky either

17. Luminara_Jade

Luminara_Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2004
    i saw king arthur and i have to say i was kinda disappointed. i thought the "belt as shirt" was rediculous. the screen shots of the final battle frankly sucked. i didn't like the guy who played arthur very much. he just had one expression throughout the whole thing (even when kiera went to get it on with him). The first half of the movie was pretty good, but after the ice battle on the lake i was just like, bla.

also i didn't like that the only thing that was the same from the original king arthur and this one is the names and the round table. :/

oh well. anchor man was hilareous.

LOUD NOISES!

18. kampilan

May 18, 2002
    Thanks, Talon. I was very disappointed with Hellboy and the 2 Matrix sequels and just super glad that Spider-Man 2 didn't fall into the same crap they did! :D But, I admit I will buy the Re-Loaded and Revolutions DVDs sometime. Hellboy I'm gonna skip altogether. And to think I was such a big fan of Mike Mignola's comics...it just didn't translate to film that well for me. Kinda like Spawn.

Here's a question while you are bashing comic books: How come starships like the X-Wing and Falcon don't appear scathed after re-entering the atmosphere head on ? Wouldn't the X's laser cannons warp? The windshield and canopy isn't that thick either. ;)

19. Axia_Euxine

Mar 25, 2003
    No one here is bashing comics, I would never do that. I love comics.

20. Talon_Wolfe

Apr 8, 2002
    Okay, I browsed the Spiderman encyclopedia, and in it they speculated that Spidey's ability to stick to stuff was not based on little spider-ish hairs that came out of his body like in the movie, but rather it was based on some sort of ability to adhere on the molecular level. He, when he wants to, and with whatever portion of his body that he wants, can choose to create a magnetic like bond on the molecular level. This happens instantaneously and is second nature. This is how he can go through clothes, sneakers, gloves, etc.

21. kampilan

May 18, 2002
    Sorry, Axia. ;) I was drifting and thought the topic was on how silly comic book physics can sound. Stuff like "unstable molecules" explaining how a costume can withstand a superhero's ability to stretch, burn, etc.
    After about 20 years of comic book collecting I'm no expert but I love comics nontheless! I too am dirt-poor but it does look like I'll be able to make the Con for next Friday. Just my luck that the best time to get a Jim Lee(my idol) sketch will be Wedensday(Preview Night). Might have to settle for just a sig at the DC Booth if he won't be in artist alley.

Talon, yeah sounds about like the old Marvel Universe handbook entry is/was on Spidey. i actually like the current "spider-hair" version although it would be very hard to explain how he can indeed still adhere to a surface while wearing thick clothing. And the organic webs are pretty cool actually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.