main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Idaho Spiderman 3

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Kasey_Kenobi, Jun 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Viper3k

Darth-Viper3k Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 17, 2005
    I couln't finish reading that review
    talks about fight scenes and action sequences as silly and unimportant
    makes Spider-Man 3 sound like a freakin stupid soap opera
    this isn't Days of our Lives
    ugh

2. cmdrwillard

cmdrwillard Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 6, 2003
    Yeah Spiderman 2.1 was just okay, I only bought it because I did not own a copy of Spiderman 2.

3. Kasey_Kenobi

Kasey_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2006
    Well, I have to admit that after seeing the film I had to let it sink in before really knowing how I felt about it. After all was said and done, I think this film continues the curse of three, at least it seems that with most movies, especially superhero movies, the third in the series is always the worst, or the beginning of the worst to come.

Batman, Superman, X-Men, and now it seems Spiderman.

The film was poorly executed, everything so thrown together and random that it lacked the substance that I so enjoyed in the first two films. The randomness was actually quite irritating...
    I won't say more until the film has been out awhile...expect my usual blog entry soon.

Oh what a sad day when Spiderman 3 has to suck.

4. Darth-Viper3k

Darth-Viper3k Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 17, 2005
    :cries:

5. cmdrwillard

Apr 6, 2003
    $148,000,000 in one weekend. is it me or was this movie not that good (148 mil)?

6. Psxjedi76

Psxjedi76 FanForce Chapter Rep star 4 VIP

Apr 2, 2002
    a good thing it made that in the open weekend this movie was 250 million to make per the news tongiht.

7. jasterpreel

jasterpreel Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 22, 2005
    I like it and so did a lot of other people around the world. $258 million worldwide already.

http://www.thestar.com/artsentertainment/article/211042

and they are making 3 more now

Studio Signs for Three More 'Spider-Man' Movies
    Webbed superhero Spider-Man will appear in at least three more movies, Sony Pictures has confirmed. The studio's chief executive Michael Lynton said after the box office success of the latest release Spider-Man 3, there is a huge audience waiting to see the story continue. Lynton tells BBC News, "Everybody has every intention of making a fourth, a fifth and a sixth and on and on. (We'll make) as many as we can make good stories for." Spider-Man 3 entered the record books as the most successful new release ever after taking $148 million in its opening weekend. Lynton enthuses, "I think it had a lot to do with timing - the fact we were the first out in the summer. I think it had to do with the fact that the movie had a universal appeal, it had a broader appeal than the second movie, it attracted a family audience and brought the family audience back. There were many factors that contributed to it, and there's a part that you just put down to 'I don't know'." Lynton did not confirm whether director Sam Raimi or Tobey Maguire would be coming back for the fourth installment and beyond.

8. Kasey_Kenobi

Feb 2, 2006
    I'm going to see this again sometime soon, just to be sure on how I felt about it. It just seems to me that the story was a lot more random this time around. Things weren't as set, and it seems like they tried to cram way to much in the movie. IMO, they should've focused on one or two central villians.

9. jasterpreel

Oct 22, 2005
    We should see it with Marcus this week since he hasn't seen it.

10. cmdrwillard

Apr 6, 2003
    The problem is if Sam and Tobey walk the sequels will be more like Batman Forever and Batman and Robin.

11. Kasey_Kenobi

Feb 2, 2006
    I agree. I don't care what is being said, from almost everyone I've talked to, and saw the movie with, no one liked it...at least not a lot. It had a whole lot of potential and met about maybe %25 of that.

12. jasterpreel

Oct 22, 2005
    I thought it was the best Spiderman yet. I do agree that if the main stars don't come back they shouldn't do it.

Oh yeah it also beat Revenge of the Sith

Spider-Man 3 didn't set a new box-office record by taking in $373 million internationally and $148 million in North America as originally estimated. No, it set the record with $382 million internationally and $151 million in North America, according to final figures released by Media by Numbers on Monday. The total smashed the previous record of $303 million set by the final Star Wars episode, Revenge of the Sith, in 2005. The movie also set opening weekend records in 28 other countries including Canada, Japan, South Korea, China, Italy, Mexico and Brazil. In a statement, Sony distribution chief Jeff Blake said, "We couldn't be more overwhelmed or elated by the global reception to this movie. ... This was truly a massive achievement not only for Sony Pictures, but the film industry as a whole."

13. cmdrwillard

Apr 6, 2003
    Revenge of the Sith

It might have beat it monetarily but not in quality.

14. Kasey_Kenobi

Feb 2, 2006
    Box office returns don't mean much when considering quailty. Just because its racking in a pretty penny doesn't mean that its a great movie.
    What I want to know is what was so great about it? I mean, it was shallow in plot, they completely screwed up Spideys origins with having Sandman involved with what happened to his Uncle, and whats with the meteorite randomly crashing in the park? Or the butler randomly telling Harry that he realized Spiderman didn't kill his father, waiting to tell him three years while Harry has been ploting his revenge the entire time? And Venom, completely under used, and Topher Grace, not the greatest for the role. And whats with his girlfriend being a slut? She is not like that in the comics. In fact, all the girls were, Mary Jane going to Harry's, that was lame. Spiderman kissing Brocks girlfriend was stupid to. These characters have been trying to get together since the first movie and seeing their relationship all screwed up like that wasn't any kind of payoff, it was actually just annoying. Oh, and Brocks girlfriend, as she's hanging from a building, her father seems rather unconcerned.
    Spidey going bad was fun and different, but it didn't accomplish a whole lot. It would've also been nice to see Venom acting like Venom, saying "we" and being more of a badass rather than doing a lot of nothing.
    For quality, it ranks least on my Spiderman movie list. The effects were superb, but even with some cool action sequences, the film still felt shallow and very, very random. It didn't flow or give any characters enough time to breath. I hope they don't go past a 4th sequel. I think if they do, they'll only be asking for trouble. And if the next movie doesn't have the same people returning, I'm not sure I'll even want to see it...that is almost certainly spelling disaster.

15. jasterpreel

Oct 22, 2005
    Why does Sandman killing Peter's father screw up his origin? It brings Peter full circle forcing him to forgive his father's killer so what if it wasn't the guy with the bad highlights. Peter rushed to judge him and acted out of vengence. FORGIVENESS is the theme of the movie. The meteorite crashing in park was random, but in case you haven't noticed extraordinary things happen to super heroes like being bitten by a radioactive Spider, I'm sorry Sam Raimi didn't get your fan mail containing the good idea involving the astronaut bring the symboite in but the comic book origin is way too complicated. I agree that the butler thing is a weak point, like younglings or Jar Jar quoting Full House or any other movie that has its bad points because most of them do I only brought this up because Eric said that Sith was a better movie, which I think is debatable. Mary Jane is not a slut. I don't no about you but her kissing Harry doesn't hold same weight as her sleeping with him , which would be slutty it was just a moment of weakness because Peter kissed Gwen in front of her because he got too egotistic. Mary Jane went to Harry because they are friends and she needed to confided in him. Peter getting with Gwen Stacy is not stupid because he did it to get revenge on Mary Jane, revenge is the opposite of forgiveness, the theme of the movie. Most of the characters flaws in this movie revolved around this issue. Finally I only brought up box office returns because it means that they did something right. People are going back for repeat viewings. It has mass appeal. By the way whether this is a bad movie or not is only our opinions in the end it is up to each individual if the movie is good. Don't state opinions like they are facts. Everyone has movies they like that no one else does or they are in the minority in. In this case most of you are in the minority in not liking the movie, again the money thing. I won't be commenting on this any further.

16. Kasey_Kenobi

Feb 2, 2006
    I'm glad you liked it man. But I was simply stating my opinion, as you mentioned that this is only a matter of opinion. I don't think this film even touches on the quality of the second film. I can easily see the themes of the movie as forgiveness and revenge and how they relate throughout, I just didn't like the execution.
    Again, my two biggest gripes are Sandman being involved in Uncle Bens death and the randomness. What has always driven Spiderman was the fact that he knew the choice was before him to stop that guy, but that guy had nothing to do with Uncle Ben's death. That really weakens the whole story arc of the character.
    I was really hoping for a wittier and more sarcastic Spiderman, one who we see a lot more of in the comics and the cartoons. I guess I didn't have the same fun as the first movies because of the themes. Two was a dark movie, but we see Spiderman face the trials and come out the winner in the end.
    With a great character like Venom involved, it just seems to me they should've focused a lot more on that character. Again, I think they crammed way to much into the film. Frankly, I'm surprised on the box office returns. I think many are coming away disatisfied, but everyone who liked the first two will at least see it once, giving it all the returns it needs and more for a sequel.
    I have to admit, Bruce Campbell as the French waiter was awesome. That was a great scene. Loved when Spidey went bad, and the effects were great. I like what they were trying to do with Harry's character, but I'm not sure it was executed all that well.
    Anyway, just my opinion. I certainly found the film entertaining enough to watch a second time and think its far better than X3.

17. cmdrwillard

Apr 6, 2003
    It will be interesting to see how it fares in its second weekend. Probably well because it has no competition.

18. Kasey_Kenobi

Feb 2, 2006
    Here we go. This review by Roeper wraps up my thoughts and really says exactly how I felt about the movie:

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxOTMmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTcxMjcyMTImeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk3

19. Darth_Savatch

Darth_Savatch Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 19, 2006
    I'm afraid I must agree with Kasey on this. While it was an amazing collection of effect sequences, fight scenes and Monsueir Bruce Campbell ("Pecker"), Spider-man 3 just doesn't deliver what the first two did so well. The emotional content gets lost in the sea of Spidey's new found ego, Mary Jane's terrible career ups and downs, and Topher Grace's nervous, Eric Forman-esque Eddie Brock Jr. I had such high hopes for this one too, particularly after the near perfection of Spidey 2, and some of the advance scenes I saw, namely Peter's talk with Aunt May at the beginning of the movie. So moving when viewed on it's own, but the flick kind of goes down hill from there. Maybe it's just that expectations were so high after number 2 that nothing could live up to it, but only time will tell. Also, the word VENOM is never uttered in the whole movie, Venom doesn't say "we" ever, Symbiote is pronounced weirdly, and I guess Lizard and Carnage are likely villains for Spidey 4. Thank god Jameson was there to pull us through. Something I hadn't thought about until just now, but Spidey actually doesn't do much web-swinging in this one. You see more of Parker walking around or just appearing places. Oh well, hopefully Pirates won't fall victim to the curse of threes....

...Actually a new curse might be good for the Pirates genre....We'll see...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.