main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Spiderman this weekend

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by Bishop76, Apr 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bishop76

Bishop76 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    And I have another to say - DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE. This movie was a stinkbomb. Okay, it wasn't that bad, but it really wasn't good either. If you really have to see it, wait until it's not a hassle, because it's not worth said hassle.

Jeff

2. cruznseal2

cruznseal2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 19, 2001
    I'm going to have to agree with Jeff, while it had its moments it was exactly what i thought it would be. Some descent effects mixed in with some mediocre acting and predictable plot (this goes with keeping a very comic book feel which could be good or bad depending on what your looking for). The green lanterns costume really bothered me, and MJ looked more like she was 30 than 19. However the acting although not amazing was better than i thought it would be. The movie also had its share of laugh lines, which seemed to go over well. All in all it made for a fun outing, but if you want to see it wait for the crowds to die down a little first.

EFFECTS: 7/10

MUSIC/Sound: 7/10

ACTING: 6/10 (I?m feeling generous)

PLOT: 5/10

OVERALL: somewhere between 5 and 6 /10

-mike

3. TwistyMaeSkywalker

TwistyMaeSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 3, 2000
    I'm gonna agree with you guys...the movie wasn't as good as it could have been.

Now, I have the list of people from last night...what the hell do I do with it? ;)

4. Bishop76

Apr 1, 2002
    Ooh... numeric rating system... My turn!

Effects: 4/10 - Very little in the movie looked real.

Music: 5/10 - I actually didn't like the opening credit music, and after that I really didn't even notice the score (yes, the score was just that exciting)

Acting: 6/10 - I agree with Mike, it was better than your average comic book movie, but IMO, the worst actor in it was Tobey.

Plot: 3/10 - There was nothing deeper here than good guy vs. bad guy. There were no twists or anything - and the "deep" message of the movie is that with great power comes great responsibility - PLEASE! If you've ever read comics over the last 50+ years that's been HAMMERED into your head by every goody-two shoes superhero.

Overall: 4/10 - the more I think about the movie, the more in frustrates me.

Jeff

Oh, and Twisty, I don't know what you do with the list... maybe send it to BobaFemme?

5. SySnootles

SySnootles Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2002
    Here here. I shall resist the attempt of simply regurgitating what the previous three posters have so susinctly stated. It was, well, eh. Nothing terribly memorable. A scene here or there, maybe.

But, one thing the may have going for it is it most likely will turn a new generation on to Spiderman. Not too dark (As X-Men was, but don't get me wrong, that was a GREAT adaptation), not too deep, and just action-y enough to keep the kiddies enthralled.

Overall rating: 5/10.

6. Darth_Lee

Darth_Lee Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2002
    "The green lanterns costume really bothered me,..."

Wow, I hope they have the special "Green Lantern" edition on DVD when it comes out, I got stuck watching the Green Goblin version at Westown.

I actually thought the movie was very, very well done. Sure, they were a couple of cheesy parts, and some of Spidey's moves didn't look altogether real. But, for those of you being so harsh, I have to ask what were you expecting? The film stayed very, very close to the spirit of the comic book. I'd personally give it a 7.5 out of 10. If you were a fan of the cartoon from many years ago, I hope you stayed through the ending credits! :D

7. cruznseal2

cruznseal2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 19, 2001
    yet more proof that i am indeed not a ?fan boy? as bishop so appropriately put it. I have a casual interest in comics at best and if you ask me the green lantern sounds pretty darn cool.

EDIT: oh and the costume still bothered me

8. Bishop76

Apr 1, 2002
    Well, I guess the main thing I was going for out of the movie was a good plot and good interaction/dialogue between the characters, neither of which existed. I can always forgive bad f/x (hell, I was a Babylon 5 fan - that had a ton of bad f/x), but I can't forgive a lack of basic story-telling ability.

Jeff

9. Kylash_327

Kylash_327 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2002
    It was entertaining, true to the comic, and a good pop corn movie. I don't think we need to be over critical. It was a fun movie.

10. Bishop76

Apr 1, 2002
    If it was a fun movie, why didn't I have fun with it? I was quite literally (half-way through it) wondering when it would end....

Jeff

11. Skywalker1138

Skywalker1138 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2002
    If you feel it was a Star Wars fan meet, give your list as a private message to:
    UID: 295417
    User Name: Bobafemme (Manager)

12. TwistyMaeSkywalker

TwistyMaeSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 3, 2000
  13. solo414

solo414 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2002
    BROKEN RECORD: Spiderman is the first movie EVER to break $100 million on it's opening weekend. It's made $114 million in three days. Pretty impressive...

14. Bishop76

Apr 1, 2002
    And unfortunate...

15. SySnootles

SySnootles Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2002
    I just have to say something about the "Record Breaking" that happened this weekend.
    Sure, looking at it, it's pretty impressive. There's no taking that away. But with tickets going for $8 and up, any big movie opening will break records. I wish there was some way to measure a movie's opening success in terms of tickets sold -- not money grossed. I remember when an adult ticket was $5 for an evening show. There are some cities (NY and LA, for sure) that are in excess of $10 per person. I read somewhere not that long ago if you would convert everything into 2001 dollars, the highest grossing movie of all time would be Gone With The Wind.

I used to be dazzled by the idea of being the top grossing movie until I really sat and thought about it. As long as the ticket prices keep going up, records aren't going to be an accurate reflection of the overall popularity of the film.

Do I sound bitter?

Catie

-- I still can't believe I was the oldest one there. --

16. Figrin_D_an

Figrin_D_an Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2002
    I saw Spiderman today... 4:25PM show at the UltraScreen...

Reading some of the reviews here, I really don't understand what you guys were expecting out of this film... yes, it didn't look realisic, it had an over-the-top cliched villian, and it didn't have a deep meaningful message other than the "with power comes responsibility" theme...

But it's also based on a COMIC BOOK line... realism isn't exactly typical fare in that realm of entertainment.

That being said... I thought the film was pretty good. It entertained me for two hours on a Sunday afternoon, so I'm happy with that. I'm not a Spiderman fan, so maybe if I were I might see little problems here and there, or I might see the film differently... as a movie-goer looking for a bit of escapist fun, it was worth seeing.

The box-office for this one will be interesting to watch... projections are saying $110-$115 this opening weekend, which would destroy the mark set by Harry Potter...
    Even a 50% drop next weekend would still bring in an insane amount of money for a second weekend... I want to see if the film really is this popular, or if it is mearly a case of the public being so hungry for the first big blockbuster of the summer that they must rush to see it as soon as possible...

17. Bishop76

Apr 1, 2002
    Like Catie said, Gone with the Wind is (adjusted for inflation) the "biggest" movie of all time - and probably will be forever. It was in theaters for something like 30 years, so that's probably a big part of it, but still, as they don't adjust for inflation, Spider-man's opening really didn't break a record. But, it does mean we'll be subjected to another "blockbuster" Spider-man movie in a couple years, I'm sure.

If you continue to pay for lousy movies, they continue to make them... (not that I'm not guilty - but I am ashamed)

Jeff

18. Figrin_D_an

Figrin_D_an Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2002
    I agree to point about film grosses, but to say Spiderman "really didn't break the record" isn't accurate either. To my knowledge, the opening weekends grosses for Gone with the Wind are not available information... the estimate total ticket sales of the film can be tabulated to convey the "All-Time (Adjusted) Box Office." That's the figure to which people commonly refer. Based on the available records, Spiderman now holds the record for largest opening day gross and largest 3-day opening weekend office gross. Yes, inflation plays a part... a big part. But it's still a record, like it or not.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, of course... but what you think is lousy, another person may think is a great film. Many of us, as Star Wars fans, found ourselves in similar situation in 1999, when TPM, a film that many of us liked, was panned by most critics. Does that make it a lousy film? Take "Citizen Kane" for example... it was hammered by critics when it first came out, and it tanked at the box office... now, it's considered one of the finest films ever made.

I'm not saying Spiderman is going to be remember as a great film or anything... far from it. I mearly saying that it isn't as bad as you make it sound. Trust me... there will be far worse attempts at popular cinema that shall be seen this summer.

19. Bishop76

Apr 1, 2002
    Oh, no doubt there will be worse attempts this summer. Truth be told, I didn't hate Spider-man (didn't like it either, hence the 4/10 rating), but I'm really sick of movies that are fair at best being so successful. You can see the standard it sets for all of Hollywood.

As for breaking records, I still think that if you just go back 20 or so years, you'll find a movie (adjusted for inflation) that beat out Spider-man.

Oh, and just a little correction - Citizen Kane was actually not critically panned (in fact, it was praised), and the reason for box-office failure was political - Like Hearst pressuring RKO not to release the film (which delayed and limited the release of the film)...

Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.